My Maxim-style Glamour Photoshoot

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Hey guys,
    So I finally got a chance to do a model photoshoot with my own light setup. It's the first time for me to shoot off-camera like so, so I would appreciate some good, helpful feedbacks.

All the shots are shot with my Olympus E-PL2 with Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.7 and lighted with my Metz 50AF on a stand with a 40" Cowboy Studio shoot through umbrella.

Please keep the discussion to the technical/creative side of things, NOT on taste/no taste/too much skin, etc.

Things I learned: Really pay attention to what's being focused when manual focusing, don't forget to change from shallow DOF, get 2nd light (hopefully an Einstein soon), watch light angles, falloff, hotspots, and exposures, and pay attention to background objects, body angles and proportions.

Photos are processed in Lightroom: a little more saturation, a little more exposure, Adjustment brush to smooth skin and whiten the iris/

Arley Elizabeth

5820107039_59ef98c83a_b.

5814330841_45359452d9_b.

2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
  3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Iris

Latika
    5815772664_b5120c6bbb_b.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    Great shots. How do I get into this line of work ?

5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I just joined meetup and see what kind of photography groups are in the areas and what they shoot/teach/what kind events they hold =D

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    They're all nice and properly lit, great exposure levels.
    Colours ar good.
    My fave is Latika on the table, such good eyes and colour is popping.
    Least favourite Mizz Ro Number 2 : looks out of focus which may just be due to size reduction. If you'd numbered your pictures this would be more worthwhile.
    What do you think about uncrinkling Mizz Ro Number 3 on her cheek? Would that be too plastic?
    I'd like to see more Arley.

Overall : super.

7. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I do like Arley's, especially her first one. I do agree with Mizz Ro #2 being out of focus, due to the manual lens and shooting to quickly without properly adjusting to it. I used the skin softening on Lightroom, I may have to run it higher on her cheek. I'll see if that'll work

Thanks for the feedback, that's exactly what I need!

8. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Fixed the cheeks. How does it look now?

5820107973_85581123e7_b.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Uncrinkling? what is that?

10. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    There was, in my opinion, too much foundation on her face, so she had that caked, crackley powder look on the cheek. I smooth it out, but you can see a lil bit of it still.

11. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    So I did some retouching, like removing shadows under the eyes, red spot blemishes, vein on hand, and powdered make-up on cheeks.

How does it look now??

12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Ahhh I see. That's the funny thing about lots of resolution. Shows the good and the bad.

13. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Any other opinions? I'm kinda surprised that there are not more people who can give their feedbacks on my photos, especially since it's my first time doing off-camera light studio work

14. Nice shots for a first timer. I like the billard ball shot. The one on the bed with panty tease is great classic glam/underwear angle.

Keep on shooting, don't be shy direct them more.

PS: I slightly edited your shot. If you want I can e-mail it to you.

Cheers,

Hera

15. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Sorry, what was the question? :wink:

Nice set of photos, can't offer much in the details ( not knowledgable enough yet ) but the best photos for me are the ones with the nice, clear, eye-contact. A nice seductive look with these kind of photos hits the spot for me :biggrin:

16. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Yes, the eye-contact makes for a some hypnotic gaze that pulls you in =)

17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice images, interested to know what F stop you used shooting through the umbrella - it has diffused the light nicely without what appears to be too much loss of light.

18. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I actually used f4, which I found to be slightly too open an not everything is crisp. I also feathered the light a bit, so I didn't point by slight directly at the models since the was only using one light. I did increase the fill light a bit on Lightroom.