My M43 travel bag is turning out to be a TT Urban Disguise 50!!! Am I mad?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by 350duser, Dec 3, 2013.

1. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    I got into this system for the size (small).

The system has grown to 2 bodies EM5, EM1, 12-40, 25, 12, 75, 9-18, 40-150 and 12-50, FL600R and a Benro tripod.

Am going away for 3 weeks to the USA (Vegas, niagara, NY).

Trying to get all of the above except 12-50 and maybe the 12 along with headphones and ipad in a cover is proving to be a nightmare.

Have trawled thru all bag posts here and the Billingham hadley pro seems to be closest to what I need but is not available in Oz.

Of all the bags I own i can fit all the above into the UD 50 (sans tripod). Becomes quite big!!! Will be taking along a Lowepro apex 140 to break kit up and travel locally.

Nice thing about the UD is I can carry it as a shoulder bag or a back-pack or hoist it on a trolley bag.

Have a week more to decide.
    Maybe I am overdoing it a bit. Maybe i should cut back on what I carry.....

Any suggestions???

2. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Mad? Hardly. Driven, enthusiastic? Yes. Overdoing it a bit? Maybe. You should certainly skip 12mm and 12-50mm. I would leave the 40-150mm as well. Pics with the 75mm can be cropped quite alot if need be. I would think twice about a second body as well, but I would bring that before the 40-150...

Have a great trip!

Patrick K

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    • Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Drop the 12 and 12-50 - the 12-40 has it covered. Do you really need the FL-600R? Fill flash for portraits of a fellow traveller or bounce indoors, but still a fairly limited use case while travelling discreetly (a big flash screams PHOTOGRAPHER). I'd think twice about 40-150 versus 75 as well - when would you use one versus the other while traveling around?

Is there secure storage where you're staying? Consider not carrying everything with all you the time. I would take the 12-40 and a tele during the day, flash if you really want. If you have NDs for long exposure, go ahead and take the tripod as well, otherwise just leave it to IBIS. At night out comes the PL25, definitely tripod, away goes the 40-150, possibly flash as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    It's not really answering your question, but the Hadley Pro is available in Oz...

I've played with a few in Foto Riesel in Sydney and I'm pretty sure there were a few other stockists about the place: http://www.fotoriesel.com.au/en/bags-and-straps/billingham/hadley-range.html

To answer the actual question though - yes, you're overdoing it! I've spend about 18 months over the past three years on the road and you want to be mobile! Having the kitchen sink along to 'get the shot' is all well and good until you're so flustered by dragging all that stuff about that you get no enjoyment from it anyway...

The important thing to consider is what you use most at home. What is your style? I've found that my favourite gear back home tends to be my favourite gear travelling... New locations are often (hopefully!) so overwhelming that the last thing you want to be thinking about is which lens you're using - keep it simple!

If it was me:
    EM1 with the 12-40 attached and 75mm in a bag. Bring the 25mm or ultra-wide along if you're doing something that will need them, but otherwise leave them in the hotel. By all means take the tripod but leave it in the hotel unless you specifically plan to use it. Likewise the EM5. Leave the 12-50mm, 12mm and 40-150mm (as others have mentioned, the 75mm is so damn sharp that it can be cropped heavily) at home. I'd leave the flash too but then I don't use flash.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    I spent 4 weeks travelling Europe with my E-M5, 12-35mm, 25, 60 and 7.5mm fisheye. I also brought the small flash that came with the camera and gorilla pod. Additionally I brought 2 spare batteries usually using 2 batteries per day. The small flash was adequate for dinner with friends and a little fill flash outdoors. What I never used: 25 and 60mm lenses and gorilla pod. I'd you are a regular tripod user, you might bring it. But, beware you may not be a able to use it in museums and sights like the Empire State building (I had to check my Gorilla Pod there).

My 12-35mm Pro zoom covered all needs and the fisheye was useful and fun for castles, cathedrals, ceilings and Eiffel Tower pictures. I found it was more enjoyable traveling light and carried a light bag with essentials only. I never had to check my light bag, while others with backpacks and oversize bags had to check them in some museums and historical sights. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    As someone who travels a bit, I have broken my bag needs into 2 separate requirements.

a bag to travel on an aircraft or when in transport between locations that holds most if not all my kit... which on this trip is

OMD EM1
    17, 25, 75
    50-200 *
    50mm macro
    12-50*
    Sony RX1
    flr 600*
    gorilla pod*
    macbook air 11"
    ipad
    kindle
    gopro x 2*

assorted chargers, batteries etc

The stuff marked with * went in my hold suitcase, the rest went in my Tenba... think its this one

http://www.tenba.com/Products/Messenger-Camera-Bag-Medium-Black.aspx

I also pack a Domke f-5 Xz

http://www.amazon.com/Domke-F-5XZ-Shoulder-Waxwear-Finish/dp/B001RNPD3S

This is my walk around photobag once i reach my destination... it will take a body and 2 or three lenses and all the stuff you need on a day out... it even will take an ipad or a 11 inch air

I always carry too much gear to my destination... my tripods and flashes have been to lots of places and never seen daylight... the only time i really did discipline myself was on my tokyo trip this year when i took just the three lenses 17, 25 and 75 plus mac book... though i will confess that the 12-50sneaked into the Tenba never to be used :)

K

• Like Like x 1
  8. sircam1

sircam1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Cosidered any of the Crumpler bags which are readily available here in Oz.

The other option is order the Hadley Pro from the US & have shipped to where your 1st destination stay is. For travel, just pack stuff well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

9. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Kevin has it right - one bag to get all the gear there and then another mission focused bag that is packed with what you need for the day. OTOH, it looks like you have some over lap with the 12-40. Do you really need the 12 and 12-50?

10. Struth mate! At least you finished well. Yep, you probably should cut back. I would cull the E-M5, 12, 12-50, 75 and the flash. Unless you have to take amazing portraits of your travel partner, in which case take the 75. I would personally also leave the tripod behind, unless you always use a tripod for landscapes. Especially if you are traveling with a partner, they tend to hate the farting around setting up a tripod.

That leaves the E-M1 wearing the 12-40, with the 25/1.4 for evenings, the 9-18 for extra wides and the the 40-150 for compressed landscapes and details. That would easy fit in a Hadley Pro with the headphones and the ipad. You could probably fit the E-M5 body in as well if you have to.

I have a Hadley Pro, and it's great, but it tends to accumulate....other stuff. Mine ends up with 2 MacBook Airs, 4 passports, Noise canceling headphones, kids binoculars etc....I try to travel with the Hadley Digital now, forces the family to carry their own cr*p.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  11. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    I agree. Those do look useful. Unfortunately I got the UD 50 for my FF kit and hence it is the 1st version. There are no bits to attach the straps to!!!

12. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Very good suggestions. Thanks a lot

13. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Have considered the Crumpler bags many times but have never been convinced.....just not me I guess as I cannot say any bad things about them

14. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Wow...fantastic response.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

I agree with setting aside the 12 and 40-150. Was never going to take the 12-50.
    Will be meeting up with friends after a long time (~25 yrs) so there will be group photos etc hence the flash n tripod (Have never had anyone take a photo of me with my camera that I liked!!!)

Kevin's idea of 2 bags was what I had in mind. Might put some stuff into my checked in bag.

Nick, Trankster, DonTom suggestions much appreciated.

Yes I do have a ND and like to take slow shutter speed shots.

Looks like the kit will be

EM1
    12-40 new lens, untried but should be good.
    9-18, 25, 75 3 fav lenses at home. Use them all the time. Enjoyed using them on a recent trip to China
    Flash n tripod batteries, cards, ND filter

Was taking the EM5 as back up body.

15. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Out of your kit:

EM1
    12-40
    9-18
    40-150
    Benro tripod checked in luggage

I wouldn't bring the rest.

16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I really don't think that's too much stuff at all, especially for m4/3 gear.

The point of such a small system to me isn't necessarily about not carrying gear, but that you can have a ton of options and still be at less weight and bulk than you'd have with a larger camera and even 1 or 2 lenses. If you're going to use them, I see no overlap/overkill in a 12-40, 9-18, 25, 75 kit. That gives you wide, normal, and tele lenses plus one good fast lens for night time and indoors.

I used to think two bodies was silly, but then I had 3 cameras bite the dust on one trip (my wife's camera took a bath, my G3 took a fall, and the Canon S95 I gave her as a replacement got a huge sensor spot on it early in the trip). Given that a bunch of lenses are paperweights without a body, I have no problem bringing two cameras or two bodies on a trip now.

As far as actually carrying it all, that shouldn't be too big an issue for 3 extra lenses, especially with 2 of them being very small. Personally I carry either a camera bag, or more often simply a backpack with a camera insert like the Crumpler Haven or Snoop Messenger Insert. That allows me to bring whatever bag I think will be most comfortable to carry both camera gear and stuff like a jacket, tripod, or whatever other accessories. My advice is figure out what you'd prefer to actually carry as luggage/daily camera bag, then figure out how to make your gear fit. Otherwise you may have the perfect bag for carrying camera equipment but that you hate lugging around :tongue:

Example: last trip I brought a small backpack + one carry-on bag. The Crumpler Haven and Snoop Insert held all my camera gear packed in my carry-on, and I had an X100S in my backpack protected by a velcro camera wrap. Everything was padded and protected, nothing in checked baggage. In actual use on the trip, I just carried what I was going to use and left the rest in a room safe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Overdoing it!

Take the em1 and 12-40 as they are the newest toys I'd imagine
    Then the 75 for more reach, and the 9-18 for more width. Done!

Will you honestly use the tripod or flash?

No, really...
    Are you on this trip to experience something, or to do a bunch of standing around setting up tripods and lighting set ups?

Be honest with yerself!!!

Just take what you NEED
    Or you'll be bogged down by options and gear and spending too much time fussing with nonsense instead of actually TAKING PICTURES and experiencing Vegas and niagra!

• Like Like x 2
  18. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Just as a counterpoint... I used to never carry a real tripod (or a flash) either. But: carrying a tripod has led to me being able to experiment with long exposures, which has produced some of my favorite vacation photos yet. It also has allowed me to take shots of my wife and I together with a timer, and 2 of my best friends when I visited KY this summer. I'd have missed out on all of the above (or been forced to rely on hoping a passing stranger can figure out my camera) without the tripod.

I also carry a small flash unit and have used it to get some pretty cool portraits of my wife just using it handheld, and to do backlit portraits of us both (again, with the tripod) in front of some nice sunset landscapes.

I've traveled both ways and there's no right or wrong answer, it just really depends on what you're interested in and willing to do to get photos on a trip. It helps that I have a patient and understanding spouse :biggrin:

Long exposure
    10918386113_f368835e0b_c.
    Kama'ole Beach Sunset by jloden, on Flickr

Simple hot-shoe flash backlit shot, done w/self-timer
    10918429333_f5784d4bb7_c.
    Makena Sunset by jloden, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I guess I should have added "remember, I take a camera in a finger loop strap with one lens and one spare battery and that's it for 99% of my shooting... Grain of salt"

• Like Like x 1
  20. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That's ok, I know you well enough by now from the forums that that was implied :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1