1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My M42 adapter arrived today :)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by snyper564, Apr 9, 2011.

1. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    I purchased my M42 adapter and extention tubes off Ebay last thursday andhave received both in abt a week all the way in South Africa using reg Airmail must say this is FAST as neither are available locally. Both are well made and of good quality so I'm very happy. My grandfather heard I got a new camera and decidedto pass on his Edixa mod B and Pentax Spotmatic and all their lenses:) so I have the following legacy lenses at my disposal: Weitwinkel Berolina 35mm, both auto and super-takumar 55mm lenses(I must say I love these lenses andhow fast they focus and their quality), 135mm soligor, 250mm soligor and a vivitar X2teleconverter
    I know that the micro 43 doubles all the focal lengths so can someone please tell me what all the best uses of these lenseswould be. I have a Panasonic G1 with the 14-45mm kit lens.
    Thanks

2. Euterpeundersail

Euterpeundersail New to Mu-43

Mar 24, 2011
    The micro 4/3 doesn't double the focal length of the lens. The focal length and aperture are physical/mechanical constants. What changes is the apparent size of the recorded image - as if you "cropped" off 50% of a 35mm negative - leaving the center 50% of the "negative." As a result of all this "cropping" you have a base, framed, recorded image that is the equivalent of an image that you could have taken with a 35mm camera using a lens of double your normal focal length.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    you will probably find the 35 and 55mm the most useful - they will work best as portrait type lenses as the will be the equivalent of 70 and 110mm focal lengths on 35mm film. This focal lenght allow you to fill the frame with a face without sticking the camera up someones nose

The longer lenses may be of more limited use, unless you invest in a good tripod, as they will give you the equivalent focal length of 270 and 500mm and double that with the teleconvertor.

The problem will be that the lenses will probably not be that fast - I am guessing f4 or 5.6, and even slower with the teleconvertor as you will lose at least a stop if you use that.

You should be aiming for a minimum handheld shutter speed of 1/250 for the shorter lens and 1/500 for the 250mm in order to minimize camera shake. That said, given some good light you might be able to make all that work for you, but suspect you will probably be shooting at ISO 400 or higher. Still they will be good for wild life and maybe some outdoor sports - though the handling of the long lens might be tricky.

Anyway - sounds like you have a lot of fun ahead :)

K

4. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks for the help,yip its going to be lots of fun. The Weitland Berolina 35mm is a bit stiff focusing in general comapred the takumars esp close to infinity is this normal how can I fix this if it isn't its in mint condition apart from the stiff focusing. Will the camera be fine on a tripod with the 250mm on it the lens has no tripod screw so the camera will hav to be mounted is this maybe a bad idea or would I have to constantly be supporting the lend. Thanks

5. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks for the help,yip its going to be lots of fun. The Weitwinkel Berolina 35mm is a bit stiff focusing in general comapred the takumars esp close to infinity is this normal how can I fix this if it isn't its in mint condition apart from the stiff focusing. Will the camera be fine on a tripod with the 250mm on it the lens has no tripod screw so the camera will hav to be mounted is this maybe a bad idea or would I have to constantly be supporting the lend. Thanks