1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

my lonely cousin

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LC55, Aug 20, 2012.

1. LC55

LC55 New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    Very new to here and photography. And this is my first time sharing pictures. Still got so much more to learn in shooting. C&C welcome.

GF1 14-45
    My little cousin was lonely during the wedding party.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice photo! If anything, you might have cropped it a bit to remove the shoes at the top and perhaps the purse/bag on the bench to the right. I like her expression, she does seem a bit lost and alone. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    A few things.

1) Negative space is a good thing in photos, but most of the time, you want your subject looking into the negative space instead of away from it. (in other words, give your subject somewhere to look) In this situation, it makes her look cramped up against the right edge of the frame (if the negative space were on the right, or she were looking left, it would be fine).

2) I agree the shoes on the top need to be cropped out.

3) The only other thing I'd note is that the camera was situated above the subject, which loses some connection of the viewer to the subject. This can be good sometimes depending on your intentions from the photo, but in this case, it's less engaging than it would have been if you had kneeled to be on the same level as your cousin. Keep this in mind for sure if you photograph children (not related to this shot)... get down to shoot them from eye level...it's the biggest mistake I see made when shooting children. Just that change in perspective dramatically increases the connection of the viewer to the subject. (and, in this case, it works for seated subjects too). You can certainly break this rule to great effect, most often when your subject is looking directly at the camera from below, but it's a good rule to follow most of the time.

• Like Like x 3
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I had much the same thoughts about the negative space and the direction of the girls' gaze. It occurred to me that reframing the shot with her on the left might not have been possible if the bench was cluttered or others were seated there. The only remaining option would be a tight crop on the girl.
    Excellent advice about getting down to the level of children, something I often forget.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I prefer to think of it as raising them to a level they deserve ...

I am often accused of playing semantic games so YMMV.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LC55

LC55 New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    Thanks for all the advices!!
    Very helpful, and I will definitely try it out next time when I shoot again!!

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Beautiful image and as already stated , make good use of negative space .
    Here is one example..

P8042184.

• Like Like x 1