1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Leica arrived today!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Nov 22, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    :rofl:
    leicadisto%20d2.

I seem to be needing a tape measure all the time for some reason, and often find it a right pain to use, so when I happened to spot an add for a laser measuring unit, I went on eBay to see what was about. I didn't want a cheap Chinese one in this instance, following a bad experience with a Chinese digital pressure gauge, so I considered more reputable brands. Toshiba had some units that were priced less than the Leica, but were also a lot bigger. The Leica is as small as a mobile phone and can measure up to 60m, with an accuracy of 1.5mm (I tested and it's true).:2thumbs:

So when focusing manual lenses, I can get the exact distance (up to 60m). :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  2. A.Tan

A.Tan New to Mu-43

Oct 29, 2010
    SoCal
    Cool, does it display in feet and inches also?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes.

Cheers

Ray

4. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    I actually need one of those - can you tell how much you paid for it ?

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It cost $229 Oz meat pies, delivered. The Toshiba ones were about $50 cheaper, but included delivery fees, so weren't that much cheaper. The Chinese ones are a lot cheaper, but most don't advertise the equivalent range or accuracy, and I don't fully trust the quality.

Leica is also offering an extended 3 year warranty on the unit, which I applied for on line and got confirmation after a few minutes. It's not a cheap piece of kit, but after testing it right down to 15cm distances against a ruler, it's incredibly accurate.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have one of those too (I'm a planner and its invaluable for figuring out things like building heights, setbacks, right-of-way widths, etc) but it didn't even occur to me it was a Leica. I got it well before my re-entry into photography, so the little logo didn't trigger anything but a distant memory. Great little device - does angles and inclines and stuff too. I don't use it a whole lot these days, but on the rare occasion I do, its a great little instrument.

I guess that knocks my Leica lust down a notch or two...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Ray, you fooled me! Very cool little Leica, however.:biggrin:

8. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Very cool,

You could even have titled this thread "My New Leica Rangefinder" :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Good one! I don't know how I missed that opportunity.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1