My latest foray into FF mirrorless - and why I'm sticking with m43

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
Cameras are like electronics. They depreciate every few years or so. Eventually, it'll be a no-brainer to get a used very lowly affordable full frame kit like the D810 or the Sony A7R in the next few years once more of those newer Z, EOS R and L Mount alliances bodies come into market in 2020 and then you just add the necessary lenses. Don't need to think so hard like a rocket scientist whether it's the right or wrong thing to do anymore.

Like today, you can own both a PC and Mac and an iPad -- no drama, no Jared Polin rebuttal etc.. It'll be like business a usual -- full frame? Oh yeah, no sweat go get one.

That was the case many years ago, when going from PC to Mac or Mac to PC was like going from MFT to full frame or back. Pathetic. Today -- no drama, because no one really cares.

Last edited:

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Cameras are like electronics. They depreciate every few years or so. Eventually, it'll be a no-brainer to get a used very lowly affordable full frame kit like the D810 or the Sony A7R in the next few years once more of those newer Z, EOS R and L Mount alliances bodies come into market in 2020 and then you just add the necessary lenses. Don't need to think so hard like a rocket scientist whether it's the right or wrong thing to do anymore.

Like today, you can own both a PC and Mac and an iPad -- no drama, no Jared Polin rebuttal etc.. It'll be like business a usual -- full frame? Oh yeah, no sweat go get one.

That was the case many years ago, when going from PC to Mac or Mac to PC was like going from MFT to full frame or back. Pathetic. Today -- no drama, because no one really cares.
Though it will always depend on how much you enjoy spending money...

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
Though it will always depend on how much you enjoy spending money...
I only live once; so I might as well enjoy spending that money. Can't take it with me when I die and I want to die with "zero" regrets. :) If someone regrets not getting a full frame; maybe it's not too late. :)

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m slowly migrating to Sony for my FF system and still fully in m43 for most of my travel, birding etc.

I have about 20 m43 lenses which all fit into a large backpack if I want to carry it all. Love that about m43. The size difference between my Laowa 7.5 f2 and FF Rokinon 14 f2.8 is wild.

I already have quite a few Canon EOS mount lenses, which I will likely end up getting a Sony A7m3 for. Right now, I’ve picked up a Sony A7S, to use with my large collection of manual lenses, and to do more Astro.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Eventually, it'll be a no-brainer to get a used very lowly affordable full frame kit like the D810 or the Sony A7R in the next few years once more of those newer Z, EOS R and L Mount alliances bodies come into market in 2020 and then you just add the necessary lenses.
Aye, there's the rub.

Sure, in a couple years you'll be able to get an A7 III for $1000.

...but you'll still be spending $3000 for the handful of decent lenses you want.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Aye, there's the rub.

...but you'll still be spending $3000 for the handful of decent lenses you want.
That's the issue I think a lot of people seem to overlook.
  1. Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM $1,398
  2. Sony Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA $1,598
  3. Sony Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA $1,498
  4. Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens $1,798
  5. Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM $2,198
  6. Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS $2,598

6 traditional lenses totaling $11,088!:eek:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
That's the issue I think a lot of people seem to overlook.
  1. Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM $1,398
  2. Sony Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA $1,598
  3. Sony Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA $1,498
  4. Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens $1,798
  5. Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM $2,198
  6. Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS $2,598

6 traditional lenses totaling $11,088!:eek:
While there are heinously expensive FF options, there are also far more moderately priced options. Granted, they're still more expensive than the f/1.8 primes for m43, but many are priced roughly the same as the larger, faster m43 lenses.

Lenses like the Sony 28/2, Sony 85/1.8, Nikon 50/1.8, Nikon 24-70 f/4, Nikon 14-30 f/4.

So yes, you can build a FF lens kit that costs more than a very nice used car. But at the same time, you can build something that doesn't cost a whole lot more than a high-end m43 kit either. It all depends on your wants/needs.

Last edited:

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Aye, there's the rub.

I've considered the same move OP mentions many times myself, but it always comes down to lenses. Both size and cost. And the lingering thought through all of it is this- even if I were to spend the money and switch, would I really notice a difference in my photography? Unlikely. Sure, the noise would be better controlled, and maybe the raw files are more malleable- but what have I gained for all that money? All that added size? Would I automatically improve my composition? My portfolio?

I'm sure others are to the point in their photography where their gear is holding them back, but I for one am no where near that. If anything, I've got more gear than I deserve and I certainly don't use what I've got to it's fullest potential.

Are we photographers or camera owners and collectors? No shame in either, but I'd personally like to be know for the former. Camera companies probably would prefer the latter.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My method is to push with what you have until you hit a problem/wall.
Then is that problem something that can be worked around, or does it need different equipment?

My own wall was fast sports.
I spent MANY hours trying to get the EM1 to work, but it could not match the Nikon D7200 for sports performance.
And this is something that a few others have also run into, with their choice of sport camera being the Nikon D500.

Is the EM1X the solution? Maybe, but not at $3,000.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Are we photographers or camera owners and collectors? No shame in either, but I'd personally like to be know for the former. Camera companies probably would prefer the latter.
Totally agree. Unfortunately.....

My wife often shows off the pictures of the BIF I take (she spots the bird, btw), and most of the reactions of her friends are something like "Wow! He must have good cameras!", "How much did he spend on cameras to do these?" or "Which brand of the camera is he using?" or even "How many cameras does he have?".

Almost nobody praised my technique.....which is okay. :mad::mad:......:(
I guess I will stick with m3/4 forum because people will appreciate how hard to use it for BIF.:D

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
...To cut a long story short
as one doing a bit of an experiment in FF myself I tend to agree with what you've written.

Myself I find that there are unexpected places that the A7 shines and that I'll probably keep my (bought used for $500) A7 body because it works so nicely with some of the FD lenses (I'd already bought for m43 anyway).

I don't expect that I'll find any reason to get into stuff like the Batis 40f2 which will more or less work like my P20f1.7 on m43

None of my bodies have IBIS, and I guess that I may look into a G85 for that ... if only I could really justify it

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
Aye, there's the rub.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think I'll be happy with only the A7iii w/kit lens @$1000 when that time comes. In the meantime, I'll play with Paul's Burn Dodge technique with my E-P5! Thanks Paul for sharing! :)

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
most of the reactions of her friends are something like "Wow! He must have good cameras!"
It was slow in the restaurant, so the waiter asked his only customer, "So, what do you do when you're not eating out by yourself?"

"Oh," said the diner, "I'm a photographer."

"Wow! Cool!" said the waiter, "Can I see some of your work?"

The photographer had just come from a meeting with a gallery owner, and so showed his portfolio to the waiter.

"Oh man," the waiter exclaimed, "those are fantastic photos! You must have a very expensive camera!"

"Well," replied the photographer, "it gets the job done."

His meal progressed, and as he was leaving, he told the waiter, "That was an excellent meal! Please tell the chef that he must have very expensive pots and pans!"

tkbslc

Super Moderator
His meal progressed, and as he was leaving, he told the waiter, "That was an excellent meal! Please tell the chef that he must have very expensive pots and pans!"
Not at a diner! I worked at two different "greasy spoon" diners and it was just industrial grade junk and ladles and ladles of oil to keep the food from sticking. You really want those eggs to just be floating on a thick layer of oil so that slide right out when you flip them over easy. :)

That's pure talent, and inside knowledge, my man!

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
They don't "depreciate" until you sell them.

I still have a Sansui stereo. Remember those? Still sounds great!
Wow, another Sansui aficionado! I remember those -- I have a nice complete set here with a standing case still bought from the early 80s and still sounds better than my Lo-Fi iPhone MP3 speakers. :)

D

Deleted member 20897

You act as if they need to be mutually exclusive, and they do not.

I don't care if people know me as a photographer, but I do care if they remember me as a caring, thoughtful individual, period.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I have arrived at my system after a couple of false starts with ApsC, and narrowly escaping the entrapment of another on of those in the form of Fuji gear. Never had any notions as in regards to full format due to size and weight. I do have cravings for Leicas, though but that is due to its heritage and legendary awesomeness, not by any perceived need nor wants. Some sort of medium format is likelier to find its way into the homely abode before any of the FF, as per now and I dont really see those in the close proximity nor the horizon, either...

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Wow, another Sansui aficionado! I remember those -- I have a nice complete set here with a standing case still bought from the early 80s and still sounds better than my Lo-Fi iPhone MP3 speakers. :)
I remember buying Sansui Hi Fi Seperates - I think they were sold at chain stores Comet in the UK which are long gone now

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom