1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My late introduction (w/ lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by m43happy, Dec 1, 2014.

1. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I've posted here and there on this forum but never realized that there was an introduction forum so I figured better late than never to make one. This'll just be a short story of my journey into shooting m4/3 full time. Please excuse some repeat pictures (that I've posted in various other threads). Quick note, I do edit each and every one of my pictures as I like to edit pictures just as much as I like to take them. :smile:

I started out shooting on an Olympus E-420 dslr, so from the get go I was already shooting on a 4/3 sensor. Eventually I moved into an Olympus E-3, but after several months sold it after finding the sensor a little limiting and the SHG glass too far out of my price range. For a replacement, I picked up a Panasonic GF1 w/ the 20mm f/1.7 kit when it was released as I liked the idea of such a portable setup while still maintaining that 4/3rd sensor size. That little setup served me well for a few months, and despite it's slower AF and lack of high ISO, took some great pictures.

GF1+P20mm f1.7
    i-4vfXTW9.

GF1+PL45mm f2.8
    [​IMG]

Only a couple months later, I got seduced by the look of full frame and sold the GF1 w/ lenses to fund my purchase of a Nikon D700. That camera I fell in love with and used for 2 years. During that time I still kept an eye on what Olympus/Panasonic was doing with m4/3's and picked up a Panasonic GX1+PL25mm f/1.4 as a portable, carry everywhere camera. The GX1 was a fantastic little camera as well and with it's newer sensor (at the time) was much better than the GF1 I had before it.

GX1+PL25mm f1.4
    [​IMG]
    i-PN7XgzB.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought my Nikon D700 would be all I'd ever need, but over time the weight of the Nikon w/ the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens (and other lenses) quickly wore on me. After Olympus's announcement of the OM-D EM-5, and seeing how well pre-production versions were doing in the hands of reviewers, I preceded to sell off my all my Nikon gear and GX1 body shortly after (I kept the PL25mm though). Yeah, I realize up to this point I've bought/sold quite a few cameras. lol The E-M5, along with the future lens maps from Olympus/Panasonic, made me think that it was time to make the jump full time into the m4/3 system. After finally receiving my silver E-M5 I instantly fell in love with the camera. I picked up the newly released Olympus 75mm f/1.8 lens and a used Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens as well to compliment the PL25 I already had. The E-M5/P14/PL25/O75 was my camera setup for the next year.

EM-5+PL25mm f1.4
    [​IMG]
    i-ZgKfJ3Q-XL.

EM-5+P14mm f2.5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EM-5+O75mm f1.8
    i-r6SZ5Ss-XL.
    i-XGNBcnX-XL.
    i-zBbt3P5-XL.
    *click the panoramic below for a higher res version*
    i-6Nwr3GS-XL.

With the announcement of the Olympus E-M1 I knew I had to upgrade. If I was going to be full invested in m4/3 I wanted to shoot with the best possible camera. By October 2013 I sold off my E-M5/P14mm f2.5 and picked up an E-M1 (still my current camera :smile:)! This quickly turned into my favorite camera.

E-M1+O75mm f1.8
    *click the panoramic below for a higher res version*
    i-3J7PFW7-XL.
    i-GDVkm92-XL.

E-M1+Voigtlander 17.5mm f.95 (lens rental)
    [​IMG]

E-M1+P100-300mm f4-5.6 (lens rental)
    [​IMG]
    i-r6JvJXJ-XL.

A couple months after getting my E-M1 I had the opportunity to shoot on set still for a friend's short film. For that shoot I decided to rent a camera that was fairly new at the time too, the Panasonic GX7. The fact that it has a complete silent electronic shutter made it ideal for shooting on set stills during filming. I must say I came away very impressed with the GX7 and was sad when I had to return it. The E-M1 was still useful in shooting behind the scenes shots of crew and getting in a few stills via wi-fi. You can read more about my experience from that shoot in this thread I made a while back: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=61122

GX7+P35-100mm f2.8 (lens rental)
    i-pKpTjbr-XL.
    i-jwg7mWg-XL.
    i-F27BhxS-XL.

E-M1+P35-100mm f2.8 (lens rental)
    [​IMG]

E-M1+O12-40mm f2.8
    [​IMG]

E-M1+PL25mm f1.4
    [​IMG]

Fast forward to today. I picked a few more lenses and a used GX7 to use as my 2nd camera body (since I loved it that much since I used it last). The m4/3 system has definitely matured a lot more since I picked up a GF1 back in 2009, and I have no regrets about moving away from my old full frame Nikon DSLR. It's definitely been an adventure getting to this point, but I feel like I've finally settled into a camera system that suits me. I wish I could say I shoot professionally but unfortunately I do not. 98% of what I've shot is just for the fun of shooting/editing. If I could be a representative shooter for Olympus or Panasonic I totally would though. haha

GX7+PL25mm f1.4
    [​IMG]

GX7+O12-40mm f2.8
    i-r6Q35gZ-XL.

GX7+O75mm f1.8
    [​IMG]

E-M1+PL42.5mm f1.2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i-bLt4tpg-XL.
    i-CtHrv7P-XL.

E-M1+O75 f1.8
    [​IMG]

E-M1+O12-40mm f2.8
    i-w5BDLW3-XL.
    [​IMG]
    i-42QQfX7-XL.

E-M1+40-150mm f2.8
    i-wJ5XTLK-XL.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the massive posting of pics. If you made it down this far, thanks for looking! You can find more of my work in the links in my signature. -R.J.

• Like Like x 24
  2. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    love the mazdas! you're makin me want another rx7!

• Like Like x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    some great images there!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I like the Monster Mustang, and all the old behind the scenes photos ... I remember that thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Amin liked my post! I can retire from the forum now. :tongue: Thanks for the kind words everyone and the 'thanks' on all the random pics I've posted since registering on this forum. It's always encouraging and definitely motivates me to shoot as much as I can.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice work Bro! You're in LA right? There's a bunch of LA M43 shooters here. I think we're overdue for another meet up!

7. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Wonderful stuff!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Wonderful, varied set. Nice work mate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    great shown skills for composition. impressive. always enjoy ur pics on this forum!

• Like Like x 1
  10. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Yup, in and around the LA area. Yeah, I see quite a few people shooting m43 down here in SoCal. Didn't realize that there was an actual SoCal meet up thread though until recently.