My "kodachrome/classic chrome" Pen-F settings (update)

fotoppi

Mu-43 Veteran
I did not know you could do that, I will have to give it a go as I either shoot mono 2 + raw or this kodachrome setting +raw and I think sometimes I make the wrong choice and obviously cant go back and reshoot
you can even store up to 4 settings in workspace and so choose e.g. between your fav b&w, fav color and fav special as a base for further editing.

nstelemark

Originally E.V.I.L.
Real Name
Larry
I like the look:

PA160045.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

fotoppi

Mu-43 Veteran
not the intended use case I guess, but seems suitable
(it leaves the orange where it belongs, but darkens the structure a bit and makes it golden)
OPF63436 (3)_o.jpg

smartiepants

Mu-43 Veteran
you can even store up to 4 settings in workspace and so choose e.g. between your fav b&w, fav color and fav special as a base for further editing.
Probably not the place to ask but can anyone give me any guidelines on how to do this, I downloaded it last night, had a little play and I could not work out how to do it

fotoppi

Mu-43 Veteran
Probably not the place to ask but can anyone give me any guidelines on how to do this, I downloaded it last night, had a little play and I could not work out how to do it
You downloaded what? Workspace?
Might be a little clunky with forum ping/pong posts.
Probably better in a phone call..

AaronE

Mu-43 All-Pro
My first try with the setting that I like the look of
20191123-_B230009.jpg
. I have taken several landscapes but don't like the way they turned out. Will try some more "urban" captures.

Yves

New to Mu-43
Hi guys, I am not convinced by your pictures. I have still plenty of Kodachrome slides and this is not the memory I had of my pictures. I liked Kodachrome II very much, I disliked Kodachrome 25 and I hated Kodachrome 64.
Since were a playing with the COLOR dial, did anybody tried to simulate the AUTOCHROME ?

Attachments

• a069969.jpg
    a069969.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 295
  • a069970.jpg
    a069970.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 297
  • a071168.jpg
    a071168.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 323
  • a050913.jpg
    a050913.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 331

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Hi guys, I am not convinced by your pictures. I have still plenty of Kodachrome slides and this is not the memory I had of my pictures. I liked Kodachrome II very much, I disliked Kodachrome 25 and I hated Kodachrome 64.
Since were a playing with the COLOR dial, did anybody tried to simulate the AUTOCHROME ?

I use DXO Filmpack to help me when "developing" a profile. I looked, DXO has no autochrome filter. Seem its something really old....1907, is that right?

I like the images you posted, are these autochrome?

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I updated my article building your own Pen F profiles. I also added a link with different film profiles applied to a standard color card. The colors on these profile cards are numbered to correspond with the Color Creator. This makes it easier to build your own Pen F profiles.....
Link

Last edited:

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
One more update guys.... To compliment my above post on how-to and tools to develop your own Pen F profiles... I added a how-to description of how to manage profiles in WorkSpace and your camera.... See this link and scroll down....

Pen-F-Profiles-A1.jpg

Last edited:

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Here is a profile you welcome to try. The profile should be used with jpeg files.... Use Auto WB with your camera.... Pls give me feedback....

Pen-F-Profiles-H.jpg

Rob Trek

Rob Trek on Youtube
As always, great work! I'm a little confused by the text at the bottom that reads "MonoChrome Soft Profile". Wouldn't monochrome profiles disable the color wheel?

P.S. Good to see you posting. I hadn't seen you for a couple of weeks in my live streams, so was hoping you were okay.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I wrote a new article on the Pen F and how to use the Pen F creative features and specifically the color profile and the monochrome profile. You will find much more info in this article...

- The link to the Pen F article

I also updated all the articles below (also related to the Pen F)
- See my How-to page (How-to technique #7 shows how to lift a profile from a jpeg or save your camera configuration using WorkSpace - all tried and tested techniques)
- See my advanced technique to building your own profiles - tried and tested
- Here you have a page where I share profiles ( I will add more profiles to this page soon - love to add the excel sheet from McGareth)
- Here you will find an article on Olympus cameras and creative color

I also have written a 6 part series on color in the past. You will find all these links in the article.

It should now be easy for any Pen F / Olympus photographer to apply the different Olympus creative features.

Why write about the Pen F when it was launched in 2016? Simply because I think it's an awesome camera and it has a good chance of becoming a collector's item...

Then Olympus did a big update on their official website and it's worth visiting. On there you will find a new Pen F gallery with +/- 50 images done by Olympus visionaries and all the Exif data is available. This means you can lift these profiles from the images with WorkSpace or you can copy the setting from the Exif data... (monochrome & color profiles)

Pen-F-Color-Profiles-V3.jpg

Last edited:

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Kodachrome 25, 64 & 200

I have been reading up on this interesting film, its history, how it's developed and more...

I have found many references about the color characteristics of the Kodachrome film and a few very interesting profile builders...

I am looking for more information on the color characteristics of these films, if anybody can help me that would be great...

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
So here we have 2 Kodachrome25 images, one from DXO FilmPack 5 and the other from a preset I bought for PS or LR

I need help from the pros from that time please, which is closer to the truth?

3 colors red, blue & green - the one on the right seem closer on the greens and the one on the left on the other 2 colors - is this right?

_7090026_Kodachrome25-v.jpg

fotoppi

Mu-43 Veteran
So here we have 2 Kodachrome25 images, one from DXO FilmPack 5 and the other from a preset I bought for PS or LR

I need help from the pros from that time please, which is closer to the truth?

3 colors red, blue & green - the one on the right seem closer on the greens and the one on the left on the other 2 colors - is this right?

Oh, you are challenging my visual long time memory...
But I would agree, green on the right, blueish on the left.
Not sure about the red on both sides.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Oh, you are challenging my visual long time memory...
But I would agree, green on the right, blueish on the left.
Not sure about the red on both sides.
Interestingly, the image of the left was done with DXO Filmpack and the one on the right with a preset I bought from Gavin Gough. They are different as you can see.

I agree with the blues and greens. Red should go towards magenta?

The Kodachrome primary colors were yellow, green. cyan (blue), magenta (red). Skin colors stayed true... I tried many images and to my eyes, the Gavin Gough profile was closer to the real thing...

Kodak-Monochrome-25-GG-Profile1.jpg

Pen F Color Creator setting:-

0=(-3), 1=(0), 2=(-2), 3=(-1), 4=(+1), 5=(-2), 6=(+3), 7=(+1), 8=(0), 9=(-1), 10=(-1), 11=(-3)

Pen F Shadow/Highlights (Curves) setting:-

Highlights = (+1)
Midtones = (+1)
Shadows = (-1)

Pen F WB compensation:-

For the camera, go to the SCP and enter A=(+1) and G=(-2)
For WorkSpace, go to the White Balance setting and enter B/Y=0.2 and G/M=-0.4

This is not a must - I use an +2/6 exposure shift with this profile. (Menu K in the Pen F) It was known at the time that well-exposed Kodachrome 25 images colors were more pleasant...

You will find more info on the profile here

One final comment, try the profile with an older OM lens...

Love to get your feedback...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom