My "kodachrome/classic chrome" Pen-F settings (update)

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
confused now.

1. neutral

2. old Kodakchrome25 settings taken from this thread 0,3
Picture Mode : Color Profile, (0, -2), (1, +1), (2, +1), (3, -1), (4, -1), (5, +2), (6, -3), (7, -2), (8, -4), (9, -4), (10, -4), (11, -5), Effect: Shade Effect(0)
Highlight&Shadow Control : Highlight: -2, Midtone: +3, Shadow: -5
White balance : Auto -2STEP(R) +2STEP(G)

3. your new Kodakchrome25 settings +0,3
Picture Mode : Color Profile, (0, -3), (1, 0), (2, -2), (3, -1), (4, +1), (5, -2), (6, +3), (7, +1), (8, 0), (9, -1), (10, -1), (11, -3), Effect: Shade Effect(0)
Highlight&Shadow Control : Highlight: +1, Midtone: +1, Shadow: -1
White balance : Auto +1STEP(R) -2STEP(G)

OPF15389 (7)_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
OPF15389 (6)_o.jpg
OPF15389 (5)_o.jpg

And in my "workspace", working on raw, I don't have the "0." notation but can use the cam values like -1 or +2 as well.

Last edited:

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
confused now.

1. neutral

2. old Kodakchrome25 settings taken from this thread 0,3
Picture Mode : Color Profile, (0, -2), (1, +1), (2, +1), (3, -1), (4, -1), (5, +2), (6, -3), (7, -2), (8, -4), (9, -4), (10, -4), (11, -5), Effect: Shade Effect(0)
Highlight&Shadow Control : Highlight: -2, Midtone: +3, Shadow: -5
White balance : Auto -2STEP(R) +2STEP(G)

3. your new Kodakchrome25 settings +0,3
Picture Mode : Color Profile, (0, -3), (1, 0), (2, -2), (3, -1), (4, +1), (5, -2), (6, +3), (7, +1), (8, 0), (9, -1), (10, -1), (11, -3), Effect: Shade Effect(0)
Highlight&Shadow Control : Highlight: +1, Midtone: +1, Shadow: -1
White balance : Auto +1STEP(R) -2STEP(G)

View attachment 835141View attachment 835142View attachment 835143

And in my "workspace", working on raw, I don't have the "0." notation but can use the cam values like -1 or +2 as well.
View attachment 835147
Don't be :)

Thanks for your reply. I did not reference any of the profiles on the forum. I purposely wanted to build the Kodachrome 25 from the ground up using two profiles I trusted (DXO FilmPack and the Kodachrome 25 preset from Gavin Gough) I also spend a lot of time studying the Kodachrome 25 look, different images and I build from that a color map and "workflow" to work from...

This makes it easier to do more development on the profile because I have a system...

You could adjust the shadows setting in my profile from -1 to -2 and in extreme cases -3. This will bring you closer to the look you showed in your images.

My recommendation is not to tweak colors because in many cases one color will affect others too...

Your best indication, if the profile will work for you, is to use it over a period of time...

Best

Siegfried

Best

PS. Work on jpegs

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
Don't be :)

PS. Work on jpegs
Ok, here are some samples derived from JPGs.
The jpgs are taken with all neutral. No editing.
Then I applied your kc25 profile, shadows set to -2.
I tested with photos that not only have clear blue sky, in fact it was a little hazy.
Let me know what you think.
first: neutral
second: kc25

I like what I see. (Most likely would have changed exposure while shooting, when I had planned to apply these settings)

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Ok, here are some samples derived from JPGs.
The jpgs are taken with all neutral. No editing.
Then I applied your kc25 profile, shadows set to -2.
I tested with photos that not only have clear blue sky, in fact it was a little hazy.
Let me know what you think.
first: neutral
second: kc25

View attachment 835250View attachment 835249View attachment 835251View attachment 835252View attachment 835253View attachment 835254

I like what I see. (Most likely would have changed exposure while shooting, when I had planned to apply these settings)
Great examples - thank you - They seem to follow the Kodachrome 25 look in the images I studied... :)

The greens look good... Obviously it also depends on which year you study, early Kodachrome 25 images were not that interesting, it seemes as the developing techniques progressed the images became much better - the basic color signature was always there...

Please try the shadows setting at -2. Target higher contrast images when doing that...

What you could also test is skin colors - from all the examples I saw, skin colors were always natural with Kodachrome 25 images.

The reason I preferred the Gavin Gough profile is they less dramatic than the DxO FilmPack 5 profile. This is only my personal taste - I tend to prefer less dramatic profiles... :)

Best

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
A few more under special light conditions and a skin exsample, +0,3EV might be to much sometimes as well as shadow -2 might be to harsh as well. On some pictures (not shown here) the skin tone might turn out too yellow and the overall impression might be to "violetish"

I really like the blue, the green is not overwhelming, and the red won't clip.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
A few more under special light conditions and a skin exsample, +0,3EV might be to much sometimes as well as shadow -2 might be to harsh as well. On some pictures (not shown here) the skin tone might turn out too yellow and the overall impression might be to "violetish"

I really like the blue, the green is not overwhelming, and the red won't clip.

View attachment 835282View attachment 835283View attachment 835284View attachment 835286
Great examples, thanks. I like the image of the lady, very natural and the skin color seem good. I like to do a few more tests on portrait images...

I have been out myself - here a few comments:-

- I normally never take images in the midday sun but did yesterday. In very bright conditions its important to work with the histogram and to reduce or go a 1/3rd stop negative on exp shift.
- For landscapes as normally do them in the morning or late afternoons.
- For other focus on the subject - do your framing and image with a little more care
- The FC25 profile is prone to have less DR and you need to take care setting up the shot

In PS it no problem to

- Use curves to reduce the exposure (Pull midtones left or down - see what is best for image)
- Stay away from layers and blending modes
- Stay away from any color functions
- This will preserve the Pen F, look with the KC25 profile look...

Have fun

_7140048.jpg

_7140019.jpg

_7140051.jpg

_7140053.jpg

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
one more test (mods: stop me if it gets too much)

So working off JPGs.
The old M5 does not support profiles. But it is the one I use mostly with the 75-300 for a simply reason - my tripod shoe won't fit the Pen-f with that lens ;)
The ORF files can't use the color profiles as well.
But the JPGs can.
So I first do exposure compensation on the raw if needed, export and then apply the kc25 settings.
The output is quiet usable and appealing.
(the spots and distortion seems to due to the screenshot png processing, the jpg images are clean)

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I am working on a 2nd profile, the Kodachrome 64. You will find a V1 here, this is the 1st version and you can expect small changes... I will drop a copy of the final version on the forum when done.

I am very excited about this new profile. It has more pop than the KC25 but like the KC25 it's not too much...

When you enter the profile into WorkSpace and save it as a batch file, it's possible to test the profile on any Olympus jpeg...

Obviously the real fun part is setting up the Pen F with the new profile...

I appreciate any feedback or comments...

Last edited:

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
one more test (mods: stop me if it gets too much)

So working off JPGs.
The old M5 does not support profiles. But it is the one I use mostly with the 75-300 for a simply reason - my tripod shoe won't fit the Pen-f with that lens ;)
The ORF files can't use the color profiles as well.
But the JPGs can.
So I first do exposure compensation on the raw if needed, export and then apply the kc25 settings.
The output is quiet usable and appealing.
(the spots and distortion seems to due to the screenshot png processing, the jpg images are clean)

View attachment 835483
These are really good. I like the subtle changes to green and red. Good selection of objects to show the KC25 color signature...

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
I am working on a 2nd profile, the Kodachrome 64. You will find a V1 here, this is the 1st version and you can expect small changes... I will drop a copy of the final version on the forum when done.

I am very excited about this new profile. It has more pop than the KC25 but like the KC25 it's not too much...

When you enter the profile into WorkSpace and save it as a batch file, it's possible to test the profile on any Olympus jpeg...
I'll give it a try.
Got a new screen today and am pretty excited anyway.

How would I save a profile as batch?

edit: forget that question. How come I haven't seen that yet? ;)

left to right: neutral, kc25, kc64v1

I don't think this will be my fav for nature

2020-07-15 20_13_38-Window.jpg

Last edited:

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I'll give it a try.
Got a new screen today and am pretty excited anyway.

How would I save a profile as batch?

edit: forget that question. How come I haven't seen that yet? ;)

left to right: neutral, kc25, kc64v1

I don't think this will be my fav for nature

View attachment 835540
It's late over here, so the quick answer is, go to my WorkSpace how-to page and see #4 for a short description of how to use the batch function...

Great image set, love the wildflowers - one can clearly see the difference between the KC25 and 64. Personally I am very excited about the KC64 but at the same time worry if it's a little cold? That said, blacks are great, so are whites, greens, reds, and blues... Yellow & orange a little desaturated therefore the feel of cold-like to get your feedback?

The KC64 does seem to be better for city or street photography?

Last edited:

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
here are some city shots:
(more to come in another post)

1. neutral, with gradation "auto" due to harsh light, exposure compensation was -0,3 set on the camera when shoting
2. kc25 profile, gradation "auto", midtone -1 instead of +1 to compensate the "auto", otherwise too light
3. kc64v1 profile, gradation "auto"

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
Some colors, pay attention to the burger king logo, the rainbow sign in the top middle and green artificial grass on the brownstone pavement.
I did not adjust any profile or settings.
The photo was taken with WB Auto and EV-0.3
(I start doubting the correctness off the PEN-F Auto-WB in those situations)

1. neutral
2. kc25
3. kc64v1

I probably would have picked the kc64v1 profile but with midtone set to 0 instead of -1, makes a huge difference. (not shown here)

OPF43668 - neutral_o.jpg
OPF43668  - kc25_o.jpg
OPF43668 - kc64-v1_o.jpg

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
just one more, again harsh light, random street

Picture taken with cam set to EV-0.3
In WS added the 0.3 again and set gradation to auto, no more changes to the profiles.

1. neutral
2. kc25
3. kv64v1

I wouldn't use kc25 in the city, but like it a lot for nature.
kc64 seems like a perfect fit for street, maybe the midtones need adjustment depending on the situation.
(there is no one for all, even so we all had to deal with that back in the film days...)

I wish the Pen-f would allow for an easy profile change including WB. Using C1, C2 will put you in P or A, whatever you used to store the profile and with WB actually only allows for one "one button" usable profile.

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
couldn't resist:
Sundown

all with gradation auto

1. neutral
2. kc25, but midtone -1
3. kc64v1

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
couldn't resist:
Sundown

all with gradation auto

1. neutral
2. kc25, but midtone -1
3. kc64v1
View attachment 835692View attachment 835694View attachment 835693
Hello Michael

These last three are beautiful... You give me hope again. I have been battling with the KC64. The more I adjust and test the more difficult it gets. Maybe I am trying to hard - with the KC25 it was clear I would not get a perfect match so I did what was possible with the Pen F and it came out very pleasant...
The KC64 is more complex as it has colors changing hue and other changing brightness... I will be a few more days silent adjusting and testing...
Thanks for testing and the images, they awesome
Best
Siegfried

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
Hello Michael

... I will be a few more days silent adjusting and testing...
Appreciate your work.
I noticed that I could no longer judge nor see clear after I played a bit with your profiles.
After 1h I felt that Oly neutral is greenish...;) drives you crazy.
I like both profiles so far, because they are not so harsh. And the midtone slider works wonderful to correct darkness or hazyness.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Regular
I also would like to thank not only GarethB and Siegfried for their work on these beautiful profiles, but also RobTrek for his video tutorials and helping tips. On my Pen-F, C1 is already set up for Kodachrome only: Mode 1 being GarethB's profile, while Mode 2 is set to Siegfried's version and last but not least Mode 3 now is set to the latest KC64 profile.
Unfortunately I can't provide any help regarding the original film colors, since I started this hobby pretty much digital.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Appreciate your work.
I noticed that I could no longer judge nor see clear after I played a bit with your profiles.
After 1h I felt that Oly neutral is greenish...;) drives you crazy.
I like both profiles so far, because they are not so harsh. And the midtone slider works wonderful to correct darkness or hazyness.
Hello guys

I updated the KC25 and the KC64 - this is a big and most probably a final update on these two profiles. As said before they based on the Gavin Gough profiles and not so much the DXO Filmpak profiles... In the end you can safely say its a new profile because the Pen F is mighty but with limitations. It's these limitations that makes them unique. I found the Pen F is more compatible with Kodak profiles and less with Fuji. I do not think that's bad, there are so many more one can work on...

You will find them on my blog - it's to much work to copy them over here - hope you understand. My Mac gave me endless frustrations these past two weeks after another OS upgrade - I am now back 2 OS versions on my Macbook and it works fine - next is my iMac...

Like before my profiles are not extreme, they are more subtle but the more you use them the more pleasant they are - that's what I think :) The KC25 and KC64 have distinct differences which are nice selecting the right profile for the right situation... With these 2 KC profiles and the 2 in the Pen F, you have 4 working profiles

My next profile is the Kodak Porta 160

Here is a riddle:- If you take the two WB comp scales in WS and place them in-line with the yellow connected to the magenta and you then bend the ends in a circle connecting the blue and green, you end up with a color wheel. If you now want to move the yellow towards green (hues) what settings will you use?

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
Hello guys

I updated the KC25 and the KC64 - this is a big and most probably a final update on these two profiles. As said before they based on the Gavin Gough profiles and not so much the DXO Filmpak profiles... In the end you can safely say its a new profile because the Pen F is mighty but with limitations. It's these limitations that makes them unique. I found the Pen F is more compatible with Kodak profiles and less with Fuji. I do not think that's bad, there are so many more one can work on...

You will find them on my blog - it's to much work to copy them over here - hope you understand. My Mac gave me endless frustrations these past two weeks after another OS upgrade - I am now back 2 OS versions on my Macbook and it works fine - next is my iMac...

Like before my profiles are not extreme, they are more subtle but the more you use them the more pleasant they are - that's what I think :) The KC25 and KC64 have distinct differences which are nice selecting the right profile for the right situation... With these 2 KC profiles and the 2 in the Pen F, you have 4 working profiles

My next profile is the Kodak Porta 160

Here is a riddle:- If you take the two WB comp scales in WS and place them in-line with the yellow connected to the magenta and you then bend the ends in a circle connecting the blue and green, you end up with a color wheel. If you now want to move the yellow towards green (hues) what settings will you use?
First of all thank you for all the work and explanations.
I will play with the new profiles and post some pictures once I get to it.
Even subtile, the changes make the pix look different.
I don't get your idea about the 2KC profiles and the 2 in Pen-F. Shouldn't the profiles for ORF in WS produce identical output to the Pen-F. BTW you can have 4 custome settings in the Pen-f when changing the C3 and C4 dial behavior to custom.
I have no idea about Porta 160, either never used it or just forgot...
Riddle: A color wheel would be Y-R-M-B-C-G
When bending the WB scales I get B-Y-M-G, what am I doing wrong?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom