My "kodachrome/classic chrome" Pen-F settings (update)

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
These look great, wondering if there's any way to get similar results out of camera with my GX80?

kreinhard

Mu-43 Rookie
Just received the Pen-F, don't fully grasp the C-presets. Love the look of these, but have a question. Does the camera keep an unmodified raw file and then apply the adjustments to a JPG version? Or do the adjustments affect the raw that's captured as well?

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Just received the Pen-F, don't fully grasp the C-presets. Love the look of these, but have a question. Does the camera keep an unmodified raw file and then apply the adjustments to a JPG version? Or do the adjustments affect the raw that's captured as well?
Hi, the JPEG, and the JPEG Preview in the ORF will both be affected.

The RAW data isn't affected by much of anything but exposure and stacking, but if you open the ORF in Oly Viewer or Workspace, it will apply the adjustments automatically.

Real Name
Siegfried
Is there a way to achieve the Kodachrome 25 look that @GarethB posted above without adjusting the contrast and white balance? I would think that I could add more contrast in the tone curve by increasing the highlights and decreasing the shadows, avoiding the need to set the contrast at +2. Can I also adjust the 12 colours on the dial to achieve the same effect as the WB shift?

I have used up the four custom settings on the mode dial so I can't save the contrast and WB settings as a separate custom setting, and I don't want to have those settings apply to all my photos regardless of the colour profile setting.
Hello Drdul

I agree with you when it is a JPEG file we working on without having a digital negative a RAW file. As long as there are a RAW its party time for the JPEG file.... The degree you party on the JPEG file will depend on the output you need.

You right when saying one can create contrast with curves. Though this is something I would do in PS (might be my set ways?) I noticed combining the contrast slider with the curves function in WS or the camera creates interesting effects. Keep in mind sharpening effectively increase the contrast between one and another area or areas in the image. If you think about it the contrast slider does something similar. I can therefore use the contrast slider to create a sharpening effect or make an image look soft.

So as long as you keep a RAW as backup I personally think its OK to use the adjustments we have available in the camera / WS. Here is one. If you have a image you like to have a rugged look, cloth (like overalls, uniform) try this:-

Camera Contrast +1
Camera Curves:
- Shadows -1
- Highlights +2
- Midtones is used to tune the effect (+1 or +2 in extreme +3)

You might have to dial in exp comp of -1 depending on the midtones value....

Using a color shift will not necessarily create a sharpening / high contrast effect but can support something like the above setting......is this what you saying?

Best

Siegfried

Rob Trek

Mu-43 Rookie
I'm so happy you saw the video! I got so much great feedback on it and all the credit goes to you. Lots of people were asking for more simulations. I tried doing some myself but failed. I'd be happy to share any other experiments you have on my channel if you don't mind. Thanks again!

Hey guys,
I do have some other film types I had experimented with in the past I could post up, I'll just need to find the spreadsheet document I saved. One of my favourites was a Fuji Acros style, a bit nicer than the standard Mono 2 in my opinion as it was less "harsh" and a little more filmy feeling to me.

Anyway, thanks again for trying my settings and I'm really happy you are enjoying using them!

Gareth

Real Name
Siegfried
I'm so happy you saw the video! I got so much great feedback on it and all the credit goes to you. Lots of people were asking for more simulations. I tried doing some myself but failed. I'd be happy to share any other experiments you have on my channel if you don't mind. Thanks again!
Hello Rob, Garreth
Rob I have your channel up in my favorites, love your videos and its great to see somebody doing interesting practical videos on Olympus. Love your work on WS

I have done 5 intro to color articles last year on the Pen F on my blog. I was completely new to thinking color and photography. It's much better now. a recent forum Q had me excited again and here we are. I am hoping to complete another article by the weekend that will focus on the Pen F functions and a little how-to. Too much how-to will take up much space....

Gareth I discovered several of your posts and work on the Pen F. What is the status today, do you still use your Pen F? Have you developed more profiles?

Best
Siegfried

Rob Trek

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello Rob, Garreth
Rob I have your channel up in my favorites, love your videos and its great to see somebody doing interesting practical videos on Olympus. Love your work on WS
Siegfried
Thanks. I'm learning a lot from posts like this and will check out your blog.

GarethB

Mu-43 Regular
I do still use the Pen-F, in fact it's the only body I use.
I'm not very prolific on there, but all the images on my Instagram page are taken with it (instagram.com/garethbutterworth).
I have a lot of images I simply haven't found the time to post up yet, but the Pen-F serves me well. The thing I long for the most from it is weather sealing, as the evf fogs up quite easily in the rain.

I do have some other film sims I experimented with, but currently shoot with just a custom set up that isn't based on anything. I'll try find some time to retrieve the file with them in, as it's currently on a extracted hard drive from a laptop failure.

Last edited:

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
I guess you wrote these settings mainly are for sunny days.
I used them at night anyway.
ISO4000, 1/4sec, good old 12-50 at 14mm
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

James Spencer

New to Mu-43
I'm guessing I can't do this on the original E-M1? It has the Colour Creator but seems I can only adjust one colour at a time rather than each one individually. Sad face :(

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I snapped a few shots today with these settings. Overcast, I shot on auto -WB and had "keep warm" turned off.

The middle pic was deliberately underexposed and then shadows lifted (in jpeg, not raw).

I've only seen these at phone size, but gut feel says they're similar in vibe to Fuji's Classic Chrome from my X100. That said, I've felt that Classic Chrome only really shines with some actual sunlight in the shot.

Last edited:

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason

Last edited:
Real Name
Ray
Heres my first walkabout session with my shiny new Pen-F today, all shot with the 17mm 1.2 Pro. SOOC Jpegs with a smidge of clarity added in Lightroom using the Kodachrome settings from the OP in this thread (thanks for sharing them):

turkuaz33

Mu-43 Rookie
Hey guys,

I've personally been quite taken with the Fuji Classic Chrome look after looking at their X100 series cameras, and I know the Kodachrome style is quite sort after by plenty of people.
Due to the fact I can't just buy an X100F right now to get that look and already have a Pen-F with some tweakable options I've been trying to experiment with colour matching a base Pen-F RAW file to a Koda/Classic Chrome look within Photoshop (along with some eyeballing). After my adjustments I transposed that as best I can to the limited options we have available for adjustments in-body on a Pen-F camera.
I thought people might be interested in giving it a try and seeing what they thought. Bear in mind I'm not any kind of kodachrome or colour matching expert, just a hobbyist photographer experimenting.

Here is what I have come to so far:

(Curves)
Shadows = -5
Mid-tone = -2 (possibly -1 is better)
Highlights= -1

(Colour Profile)
Yellow: -1
Orange: -1
Red: -1
Redish/Pinkish: -2
Magenta: -1
Purple: -1
Blue: -3 (-2 maybe)
Blue/Aqua: -2
Cyan: - 2
Mint Green: -1
Green: -1
Lime: -1

(White Balance Offset)
A = 0
G = +1

There is a good chance these are way off, but if anybody wants to try it please let me know your thoughts and if you have any suggestions for tweaks.

Cheers,

Gareth
hello
how can i set kodachrome , my omd em1 mark2 ?

Rob Trek

Mu-43 Rookie
Those are outstanding!

Heres my first walkabout session with my shiny new Pen-F today, all shot with the 17mm 1.2 Pro. SOOC Jpegs with a smidge of clarity added in Lightroom using the Kodachrome settings from the OP in this thread (thanks for sharing them):

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom