1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Kind of Sunset

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robert Watcher, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I know that many people are passionate about their sunset shots. Every night that I head West down the road for the 12 minute drive to a nearby beach where the sun sets over the waters of Lake Huron - - - there are tons of people with their cameras, many the same people that are there almost every night I am. They are all waiting for that magically moment when the sun hits the surface and disappears over the other side of the earth - to snap the shutter and instantly look at the screen with pride.

While I do appreciate the beauty of the setting sun in the sky . . . sunset shots don't really thrill me the way they do other people. And in some ways I feel like once you've seen one in a picture, then you've seen them all.

And so I look for ways to have my sunset shots, but not in the way they are expected to look normally. Hopfully I've done that with tonights photograph, where while my wife was taking stunning shots of the sun, shimmering water and boats passing through - I found this bush that I could focus on, allowing the sun to just give an impression of what it was doing.

Taken with E-PL1 and 40-150mm lens

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I understand what you are saying, although I never tire of the variety of cloud patterns and colors in sunset skies. I like this shot, a different perspective and another kind of beauty. Thanks! :smile:

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Very nice shot. I always like photos that provide a different perspective on something common place. Assuming, of course, the photo is well done, and this one is.

4. Robert Watcher

Thanks so much both.

5. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    I like it as well, the setting sun as an accent to the pic is what makes it work in this shot. You mention L.Huron, safe to say you've heard the Piper playin as the Sun sets?

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nice shot. I often have a tendency to shoot sunsets with an exposure that gives a much redder effect than what I'm seeing simply because of the dramatic effect it produces but sunsets aren't always dramatic and can be quite subtle at times. I think you've captured that kind of mood quite well.

One of my favourite shots was actually taken a little while after the sun disappeared but before the light went. The sky had become quite pale and I photographed "silhouettes" of a couple of cars at the top of a hill from inside my own car parked just below the lowest car. The tinted windscreen of my car acted like a slightly tinted filter and the shot actually looks like a lightly sepia tinted black and white photograph rather than the colour shot it actually is. In some ways it's similar in mood to yours but you've got a wider colour range in yours while mine is much more limited, plus you've got the sun. What we both have is a strong, almost silhouette, foreground framing a gently toned sky. That creates a lovely mood.

7. Robert Watcher

He was there this night - - - just a little farther down the boardwalk than we were.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robert Watcher

Thank you -- - and a tip that I'll have to try sometime.