My "Kilimanjaro" Set Up

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by arprok13, May 11, 2014.

1. arprok13

arprok13 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Arpan
    I have this thing about lightweight travel. I'm obsessed with not having to deal with unnecessary stuff and the feeling of being light and nimble. I'm an avid traveler but never paid too much mind about my travel pics. But, this trip to Tanzania was special and I wanted to fully capture what I was about to witness.

Question to myself: How can I take quality images on a 7 day hike climbing up to 6000 meters without having to worry about bulky gear? But wait! I also have a Serengeti Safari after my hike! Thus, I started my research for my first interchangeable lens camera.

Answer:
    Kilimanjaro
    1) Olympus E-P5 (ideally, this should have been the water resistant EM-5 but it looked so cool I couldn't resist not buying it!)
    3) Oly M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 w/ attached lens hood
    2) Think Tank mirrorless mover 5 (attached at belt)
    3) Joby Micro 800
    4) Fully charged spare batteries
    5) Spare SD cards

+Safari
    6) Panny G. Vario 100-300mm zoom (locked in hotel storage while on the hike)
    7) Canon s95 P&S
    Done!

[​IMG]

That's me in the middle with the entire kit comfortably resting on my right hip (pic shot with friend's p&s).

The 17mm is so versatile! I didn't find the need for a zoom or any other primes.
    Here some examples that help show the ability to capture subjects at different distances from Landscape to Macro-ish :thumbup:

9985951473_38d5cb6333_n. Fire Clouds by desai82, on Flickr

9985747695_c4a34808e0_n. The Great Leader by desai82, on Flickr

9985840486_7aa1cf4107_n. A Porter's Life by desai82, on Flickr

9985797965_a2c17bbb6a_n. Dash of Yellow by desai82, on Flickr

Honestly If it wasn't for the safari, I might have just bought a sony rx100 or Ricoh Gr. I'm glad I got micro 4/3 system instead!

I read that some folk were complaining about the sharpness and focus ability of the 100-300mm. I didn't have any issues. It wasn't that big for a 300mm (600mm equiv) lens. I felt sorry for the people lugging around their massive zoom lenses for their DSLRs. Here are some examples of images taken at the two extremes of the focal length. The last one demonstrates the focus ability at 300mm of a bird in flight. All images were hand held (and I'm a totally newbie coming from the P&S world). :cool:

9985891665_960820c1ff_n. Lion King by desai82, on Flickr

9985966344_5e9fd476e2_n. Lone Tree by desai82, on Flickr

9986023206_86edfb2db4_n. Baby Delivery by desai82, on Flickr

The s95 allowed me to take quick wide angles such as this while the ep-5 had the zoom attached.

IMG_2877.

Please share your "Kilimanjaro" (hypothetical or actual) set ups!

• Like Like x 11
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I like traveling light, but I'm a bit too much of a photo nut I'm afraid; the travel photos are a major part of what I enjoy about travelling the world with a backpack! And everything seems lightweight after lugging a Canon 5D mark II around the globe for years, with associated L glass. I'm also a zoom shooter when travelling (much as I love a good 35mm lens, sometimes I want something wider, and sometimes I can't move to reframe my shots).

I'm heading to Tanzania in 2 weeks - Kilimanjaro isn't in the cards (time constraints), but the Serengeti, Ngorogoro and a trip to Mafia Island (+ diving) are. The setup is going to be an E-M1, 12-40, 50-200 + 1.4x teleconverter, A7r, 55/1.8, 35/2.8, batteries, chargers, and an RX100 + scuba housing. That all weighs in at under 5kg, and fits in a small F-stop ICU - roughly the size and weight of two Mirrorless Mover 5's - and my test packing shows I'm within carry-on size and weight limits for the trip, including this gear. I had and quite liked the 100-300 (got stolen), and may re-buy it for super lightweight telephoto purposes, but the extra sharpness and extra light gathering on the Oly 43 (which cost me about the same as the panny would have) are a trade-off I'm willing to make for this sort of trip. Will report back with pics in about a month :)

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    that is quite a lightweight set up! I would have have gone with a 12-35 or 12-40 or even 12-32 as well. I do agree that 17mm is a pretty versatile focal length, though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Can't wait to see your dive photos! Do you have an underwater strobe?

5. Great series of pics and it sure sounds like it was a heck of an adventure. Now personally I have no desire to put a single foot on Kilimanjaro :smile:. Something like the Inca Trail is about as strenuous as I want to get in a travel activity from now on.

As for lightweight travel kits, I don't know what you're talking about...

<a href="http://s883.photobucket.com/user/ttlonline/media/m43/IMG_4904-PR_zps211761d6.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. arprok13

arprok13 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Arpan
    Awesome! you'll enjoy it! If you were on fence about the 300mm, then pull the trigger. For some reason, I had this crazy notion that we would be off-roading and approaching animals for up close and personal pics. In reality, we had to follow pre-made dirt paths by law (hope you don't get motion sickness). Although there were some instances the animals were right there, other times they were so far away I was wishing for a 1200mm lens. Oh and the sun beats down! Aperture size limitations weren't a problem for me (for my needs at least). Can't wait to see the pics! ..especially the scuba diving ones. That is still on my bucket list.

I'm raising my eyebrows at you. I barely squeezed in my E-P5 with attached 17mm and hood into the mirrorless mover 5. You must be a packing guru to fit 3 cameras, 4 lenses, a scuba body, batteries AND charger into something twice the size of a mirrorless mover 5. Of course, I'm just messing with you:tongue:

7. arprok13

arprok13 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Arpan

• Like Like x 2
  8. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399956432.812476.

A bad picture, but a picture nonetheless of the packing cube. Top row, left to right: a7R with lens attached (35/2.8), e-m1 body, 50-200. Bottom row, 12-40 (in blue area), 55/1.8 (in pouch), teleconverter, batteries, and the bright red thing is a scuba housing. I have a capture clip for carrying the camera at the ready.

I don't have doubts about the 'need' for 300mm, I'm just choosing to get (almost) there with a 50-200 and a 1.4x teleconverter :)

9. arprok13

arprok13 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Arpan
    Haha my Mirrorless mover is about 1/4th that size. Now it makes sense!

Haha well that 1.4x is a good move. Multiple cameras is smart too. It allows you to not worry about swapping lens in the dust and lets you you be prepared for any surprise guests. :)

I was set to 300mm when a cheetah jumped in front of us. Luckily I had my Canon s95 at least

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

10. Ooh, I'm not so sure. The summit of Kilimanjaro is about 1km higher in altitude than I have ever climbed :eek:

11. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Ah yes…I looked at the specs for the 20 I think…oops! Either way, it's not small, but it's very compact for what I'm lugging around.

12. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    great concept with specialty lens on the m43 and a P&S for casual normal shots. I have same kind of combo and it's what I feel best way to go :) great shots btw!

• Like Like x 1