My Journey learning Resolve Studio after 10 years of Vegas PRO (edited 8/18/21)

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've now done the complete beginners program on Resolve Studio 17 (RS17) about 15 hours and I am liking this somewhat gigantic, complex program. For most folks Vegas PRO (a very good program) might be a better choice but it is hard to beat the free version of Resolve. And in fact except for one project (a series involving a 3D main character) I would have continued to use Vegas PRO but upgrading only every other year. For serial projects or very large projects the work flow and tools of Resolve Studio are better for me. The power of Fusion is in fact pretty amazing as it is pretty simple once you understand the development process. A good key board and the speed editor (you can buy RS17 for $300 or you can buy RS17 & get the speed editor free for $300) make for a pretty robust editing system.

Besides industry leading color correction the work flow really leads to ordered project creation. Additionally the ability to test run a very powerful free version with hours and hours of training as well as a large selection of youtube videos I think is very important when considering an NLE.

I am using stills, 1080P to 5.6Kvideo and 3d characters in this project and so far with the use of proxies on the 5.6K video my old i7700/4200 mhz with 32 gigs of ram and an rx480 8 gig gpu is running well (3d rendering can take a long (very long) time. I use to strongly recommend Vegas PRO because you could buy the Movie Studio version for about $100 to test it. Now that Movie Studio is no longer, the free version of Resolve seems like a better track, especially since RS17 has a cut page for quick projects (for which the Speed Editor has dedicated buttons so no learning a hundred keys strokes).

I'll keep posting to this thread on how the project is working.

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Sean Tucker just posted a video about his transition to DaVinci Resolve:
. You might find it interesting. I would love to try and learn Resolve as I am just learning about video, but I am not sure my machine's integrated graphics is powerful enough and is supported by Resolve. I may be looking at Hitfilm Express.

Good luck,

--Ken

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would love to try and learn Resolve as I am just learning about video, but I am not sure my machine's integrated graphics is powerful enough and is supported by Resolve. I may be looking at Hitfilm Express.

Good luck,

--Ken
I'd try the free version of resolve first because the biggest issue is if you like it's working paradigm (I do). The video was interesting.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I'd try the free version of resolve first because the biggest issue is if you like it's working paradigm (I do). The video was interesting.
I am not sure my machine will meet their minimum specs. so I have held off on trying it. Also, folks have said that even if your machine does meet the specs. that Resolve does require a lot of horsepower to process video (more than some of the competition). I was considering a desktop upgrade, but the current prices for a good machine are out of sight.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
You can always use something called "proxies" if you want to do 4K or greater. Try it with 1080P and see how it works.
Yes, my new ZV-1 offers proxies when recording, so that is an option. I need to do some major software updates/upgrades this fall, and that would be a good time for me to make an attempt with Resolve, if it allow the install based on the hardware. I have always found video to be the equivalent of playing 3D chess in comparison to photography, but I will want to dip my toes into the water as it is just such an amazing medium (pardon the mixed metaphors).

--Ken

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One of the reasons I need Resolve for a 50 episode project is the Rotoscoping or what is commonly called motion tracking and masking. Resolve is really a combination of an editor, a color correction, a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), and Fusion (composition/3D generation) programs which Black Magic Design provides for their video cameras. Both the program and cameras are used in Hollywood and by many production houses. My "host" is a 3D animation and I need to be able to control movement as well as have full Rotoscoping control. Resolve Studio has a very powerful tools that the free vesion does not have and the speed editor makes for a very professional editing environment (especially at the special offer price I described above).

Video production from start to finish is a time consuming process (I did a lot of TV commercials and you'd be surprised at the time involved even in a 30 second spot). Fusion is proving to be a significant benefit to me in producing an episodic series. The free training from Black Magic and the plethora of youtube videos (be careful Resolve, especially in version 17, offers many work flow modifications) makes getting up to speed a lot easier than many other programs. Also your local library might offer access to Linkin training which also has Resolve/fusion training. There are easier programs to learns but I've found in every aspect of video it is best to make sure you have a full featured editor and not a consumer version if you want your videos to capture interest.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom