1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My iPad Photo Workflow

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by edwardconde, Mar 1, 2013.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey All,

I have started to document my iPad workflow on my blog. I am walking through each of my steps from transferring images to my iPad all the way to sharing them on social networks. I even cover organizing my images using the built in photos app as well as organizing my images after they are transferred back to my mac and in my aperture library.

So if you are intersted, head over to Digital Chemicals...: My iPad Photo Workflow... Introduction.

Thanks!

2. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for your workflow description. I recently upgraded from an iPad2 32GB to the iPad4 128GB because I often ran out of memory while being on the road. I do not have a proper workflow yet, though. Yours will help me to get started and see what fits me.

What is set already: I will upload all of my RAW files to the iPad and keep the images on SD as well (as these are very cheap these days). In that way, I have a backup, in case I loose a card, the iPad gets stolen or whatever. On the iPad, I might start to delete some pictures or apply some post to it. So, back at home, I only want to sync from my iPad if everything goes well.

3. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    One more thing: Which RAW app do you prefer on the iPad (for Oly RAW files). You write that you use PhotoRAW and RawConverter2. Why two converters?

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm interested in this too!

5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks for the flow chart. The iPad is one of my next acquisitions.

6. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    You will enjoy it... its a different approach to edit on the ipad... :2thumbs:

If you have any questions.. feel free to ask.. here to help!

7. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Interesting post about this today on thedigitalstory.com

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  9. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    LOL... that reminds me of a hiker that told me he has lead several photo hikes in which one person always shows up with their iPad to take nature photos with. I guess you use what you have but still funny.

10. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I ordered the book last week... Looks like an interesting read... :)

11. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is funny.. I have seen many shoot with tablets.. its pretty funny... I promise Ned I don't shoot with my iPad :):wink:

12. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Any thoughts on the RAW converter? I tried the light/free version of PhotoRAW yesterday and a single picture from the O-MD took quite a while in order to get converted (even on the iPad4 with its 1,4GHz dual core chip). After the conversion, the image looked quite flat and dull and required a lot of tweaking in order to become a bit more "pleasing".

Are there any other RAW converter out there which can process the RAW files from the O-MD?

On another topic: Snapseed is also able to work on the RAW files of the E-M5. But from what I understand, it is using the iOS integrated API function to open an image which "simply" uses the embedded JPEG from the RAW file (instead of demosaicing the RAW information). Does anyone know how large the embedded JPEGs in the Oly RAWs are? Are these 100% images?

13. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am using a beta version of Photogene where they are testing out RAW conversions. There is PIRAWnah. But I have never tried it. Filterstorm doesn't really read the orf files. Its better at nikon or canon raw files. But I mostly shoot jpg right now.

Snapseed will read the embedded jpg in the raw file. But I want to say it won't be the full jpg as you would get out of camera.

• Like Like x 1
  14. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Everyone,

I have just posted a couple of blog posts on my update iPad Photography Workflow…. here are the links:

The Apps List - These are the primary apps I use to edit my images…

RAW Processing Apps for iOS - This post is about which RAW processor I use the most and why…

I am still in the middle of putting together a couple more posts to update my workflow… Thanks!

15. Jewood1234

Jewood1234 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2011
  16. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I see people using iPads all the time, and don't really care except for one situation: I was at a Bar Mitzvah last year and the guy in the row ahead of me held his big freqin' iPad up to video the whole ceremony. Very inconsiderate, I thought.

The only other time I thought the user was not optimizing their chance of getting a good picture with their iPad was on a very windy day, where the iPads were all blowing around when people held them up. Heck, I actually saw a Canon Rebel slide across a stone and almost blow into Bryce Canyon that day. They should have used their iPhone instead ;~)

• Like Like x 1