1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My Infrared E-PL3

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by RenaudVL, Jul 29, 2012.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    All shot with 9-18mm and custom white balance using green grass

• Like Like x 12
  2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    great shots!! could you explain how you did it (modding)? would love to get a Pen and mod it!

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Great shots! I got a Hoya R72 filter so I could try out some IR (with a tripod). I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but your photos are inspiring me to get going. :smile:

4. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    wow!! nice shots!!

5. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    What sort of white balance is that? Like shade or incandecent or what?

6. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    The white balance is custom, made in-camera pointing to green foliage.
    I have an epl1 at lifepixel for conversion, i hope to get it in a couple of weeks.

7. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
  8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thats great, would you mind setting up a tutorial on how to do it, i would love to try it myself. or maybe you can point me where i can get a nice tutorial to do this?. that'd be awesome!

9. beckyi90

beckyi90 Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2012
    Stockton, UK
    Excellent photos but the sky looks really weird

10. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Is converting mini cams cheaper than converting a dslr?

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nope. The filter isn't the expensive bit (up to a point, and the difference between a 1.6 and 2.0 crop isn't massive) and working on a mirrorless cam isn't really any easier than working on a DSLR. I've got an infrared converted 30D that I really should take out to play a little more often...if I really like it enough I may 'trade up' and get a MFT body converted.

12. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Not for the sensor conversion, but converting a m43 camera do not require lens calibration (cheaper, works out of the box)

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great photos! I am seriously considering having my E-P1 coverted to IR. I've wanted to try IR photography for years. :cool:

14. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    Wow these are beautiful... great work

15. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
  16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  17. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I got the Enhanced Color IR Filter (equivalent to 665nm Filter), and I'm going to buy a 850-90nm lens filter for black and white images.

18. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Point & Shoots are Definitely Easier

I just converted a Panny DMC-FZ60. It took all of about 10 minutes, but the tricky part of the conversion is doing the image sensor tilt adjustments. The IR cut filter on most point and shoot cameras is a tape like membrane that is affixed to the face of the image sensor. I used some compressed air in a can to blow air beneath the edge of the filter and it peels right off.

Micro Four third camera are more difficult because the mount box has to be disassembled to remove the IR cut filter. Also not realized by many is the fact that the filter Panny uses to clean the sensor of dust is also an additional IR cut filter. Removing that filter causes an error message when you turn the camera on, and it leaves the face of the filter completely exposed.

Here's a picture of the sensor from a micro four third camera and a shot taken with my converted FZ60 using an R72 filter. I used the same "green grass" white balance technique. Once the filter was removed, no tripod is required - it's very sensitive!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/7705742050/" title="Image Sensor by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 7705742050_05ece2cfbf_z. "628" height="628" alt="Image Sensor"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/7850803014/" title="FZ60 IR_01 by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 7850803014_4494d85597_z. "640" height="480" alt="FZ60 IR_01"></a>

• Like Like x 4
  19. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I took all of these with a Hoya R72 filter, Panasonic G2, Panasonic 14-45mm and Tripod.
    All the exposures were quite long 10+ seconds in bright sunlight. Any motion will be blured. So there are advantages for converting a camera to IR.
    Thanks for looking

• Like Like x 3
  20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Great shots Rob! My fav is #2. I picked up a Hoya R72 filter a while back but haven't had a chance to get out with it, my camera and tripod. Your photos are inspiring me to get out and shoot some IR! :smile: