My impression of Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ramirez, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Today my LX100 arrived :)

I went for the silver version as I just did not want another black camera. Initially I was a little worried that I did the wrong choice but the silver version seems nice to me, so my worries are gone.

I also read a lot of reviews, professional and amateur.

I don´t understand the reviews that complained about the IQ of the LX100.
    I just snapped my first test shots, have just looked at them on the camera display, and they seem really good. I have to transfer them to my editing computer to verify, but the photos look really great. Some isolation is also possible with 75mm and f2.8 :)

I mainly bought this as a 4K b-cam to my GH4 but I really think that the LX100 will overtake the place as my "everyday cam" from my Fujifilm X100s. LX100 could be my new "tie-cam" due to all the possibilities the LX100 provides:

- 4K video on the go
    - Good IQ
    - A standard zoom

I will post some LX100 photos here later on when I´ve been able to shoot something interesting with this great camera.

This is a marvel camera; small and great possibilities!

NIK_5263.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    About the build:

To me the camera body feels good, robust; almost like Fujifilm X100s, LX100 is smaller than X100s though.
    The grip is good (got medium sized hands).

Handling:

LX100 is very customizable; got the control-ring on the lens set for zooming (don´t like zooming with the little W-T rocker).

A good thing is also the "zoom memory" feature as this zoom is electronic; then the zoom stays where you had it, good when your are shooting multiple shots at the same object and at the same distance.

I am used to the aperture-ring, shutter- and exa-dials from the X100s; so I enjoy those features on the LX100.

More to explore here...

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Here are two photos I took in RAW. Edited them a little in Aperture.

The first one are three angles in front of a window.

The second one is from one of my cats with his hurt back paw. ISO 1600 with noise reduction in Aperture.

P1000005.
    P1000017.

4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    My conclusions about ISO limits:

I´ll keep my high ISO limit to ISO 1600 on the LX100. ISO 3200 is too noisy to me.

f1.7 at 24mm is godsend as it provides some lowlight opportunities.

• Like Like x 1
  5. danslides

danslides New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2014
    There are times when I think even ISO 1600 is too noisy for me. IDK if I'm just expecting too much, but at equivalent ISO, the LX100 is just noisier than my GM5 and EM5 mk2. Converted to B&W, I don't mind the noise, but none the less, it's one of the things that bug me. Other than the noise, I don't really have complaints about IQ. I have more issues with the zoom action being slow, and how it's always retracting and extending while in the menus or reviewing pictures.

6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Another photo I took today with LX100. Some isolation is possible with this little gem of a camera :)

ISO 200, 16mm (about 35mm in 35 eq.), f2.4, 1/5000 (this is a great feature to have the auto mechanic/electronic shutter that provides faster shutter speeds, my Nikon D610 only gives me 1/4000 as max shutter speed). Notice the little fly in the photo.

P1000022.