1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Imagination? 20/1.7 AF Seems Better on E-PM2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twokatmew, Mar 28, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Back when I had my E-PM1, I purchased a new Panny 20/1.7 lens and promptly returned it. In low light, the lens took forever to focus, if it obtained focus at all, the lens complained loudly doing it, and it very often missed focus. I was very disappointed, but I assumed the problem was the lens (because of the complaints I'd read about its AF performance), and I just got a refund.

Well now I have an E-M5 and an E-PM2. I decided to once again try the Panny 20/1.7 because so many people love it and still recommend it even on Oly bodies. My lens arrived yesterday, and so far I've only used it on the E-PM2, which is configured to use the small AF box. In my tests so far, the lens is much quicker to focus and accurately obtain focus than my original 20/1.7 on the E-PM1. It makes a little noise, but I honestly don't find the AF on this lens (on my E-PM2) any more objectionable than my Oly 17/2.8, and I find its performance acceptable. I could certainly make the lens hunt, but so far I'm pleased with the performance of the lens. In addition, I've taken several test shots at ISO 6400 and see no banding. Of course, I'll have to give the lens a real workout and see if it continues to function as it has during my brief test. If it keeps performing as it has so far, I'll definitely be keeping this copy of the lens! :smile:

But this makes me wonder if either my original Panny 20/1.7 was defective, or if this lens simply works better on the E-PM2 than it does on the E-PM1. Or is it the small focus box that makes the difference?

Anyway, just thought I'd see what y'all think about this. :biggrin:

2. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I've been through 4 copies of the 20mm (gifts to others) and all made different sounds. Some SUPER loud others I can't hear on my MIC for video (gf2 or gh2). As for focus I believe the newer bodies do focus faster. Might be placebo but my GH2 seems to focus faster than my GF2.

3. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    I have always thought the 20mm focus abilities to be equall to the 17mm on oly bodies. It seems to be a bit faster on panny bodies.

4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I was told that the lens would be useless in af and flare controll and that it was noisy as h***

On my e-p3, none of this "issues" seems to be true. Im comparing it to my sold pl25 and I find it very close. Even better with the 40mm fov:)

So congrats on your new and good copy

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. The difference between this copy of the 20/1.7 and the one Ireturned is like night and day. I can't wait to get out and start using this tiny lens that keeps my EPM2 small enough that it's very likely to go with me when I leave the house. I love the sharpness and light-gathering capability of this lens! Nice focal length, too. :smile: