My hands small enough for the OMD e5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gerard, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Since I was considering the move to one of the OMD's to pair with the 12-40 lens, I went to a camerastore just to feel this machine in my hands. Though the camera was encapsulated by an anti theft contraption, from the very first moment I held it, it was clear that it is a very, very tiny piece of machinery. I can not see myself balancing this combo with my hands. My hart broke that very moment.
    This was 2 days ago and I'm still not fully recovered.
    So I call for the help of owners of the OMD to tell me 1)if they are able to balance the OMD/12-40 combo with their hands and 2) if they think their hands are bigger or smaller than mine.
    I hope this will bring a new perspective on such an important issue. image.
    I have uploaded a picture of my (left) hand with a Duracell AA as a reference.

2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    hmm, based on your signature, you're currently using the panasonic g5 with the 12-40mm? if that body works for you, know that the e-m5 with hld-6g (horizontal grip) is slightly bigger and/or wider than the g5. you can also opt to get the e-m1 or gh3 instead for a more substantial/built-in grip.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    i got fairly big hands and i find that without the vertical grip and the moved shutterbutton it is a bit small.

that said, With the grip and the dslr-like placement of the shutter button i have no problems operating the camera.

ask if you could try the camera with the hld-6. it becomes a different camera

• Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-M5 with primes or lighter zooms is fine without grip. I too felt disheartened when I tried the 12-40 (and lighter 12-35) on my E-M5 at my camera store a few months back, it felt unstable (I think my hands are slightly smaller than yours). It was similar with a large hot shoe flash. I'm sure it's a different story with a grip though, or with an E-M1 (which I now have).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Your hands are quite large. Try the E-M1 with the 12-40 and you will have no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Agreed.

This is actually one of the reasons why I enjoy the E-M10 so much. The grip is just enough and simple enough to make the difference for larger lenses. I've never really been a fan of grips, and I don't use it with my primes. But even one of the 3rd party, non electronic grips might solve the problem for you.

I had an E-M1, but enjoy that I have the size option with the E-M10.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The EM5 Mk II grip is a it better and the buttons/shutter release are in a much more ergonomic position.

As wjiang stated, the EM5 Mk 1 is fine with prime lenses, but benefits greatly with the HDL-6G. I used it that way for a long time before upgrading to the Mk II.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    I have done the new standard (AA test:th_salute:) and can confirm my hands are slightly larger than yours. I have the EM10 which is smaller than EM5 and i comfortably use this with 14-42,45 and 40-150 without issues. I do not have a Pro lens which i do hear makes it unbalanced and front heavy though and would probably get a grip in that scenario. Is this a size of hands thing or just a more comfortable setup?

Phil

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I support the lens with my left hand. I can even let go of the right hand. The EM5 is the same size as my OM-2. Where I have some heavy and big lenses. So I don't consider it tiny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use my left hand for primary support, too. I don't get the fascination with grip size and shape as I only use that when I am carrying the camera by my side. With a larger lens like the 12-40, I would be holding it by the lens.

GX7 is not any larger than an O-MD and I have zero issues with it, even after coming from a medium sized SLR. I just cradle the camera/lens with my left hand and work the controls with my right, just like with the SLR.

My hands are large enough that a lot of gloves won't fit: 7.5" wrist to finger and 4" wide at the palm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I bought a JB Designs Gripbase (the old resin version) to use on my EM5 because it was too hard to hold when using the 40-150 R for shooting sports. It was a lot cheaper than the HLD-6, especially if you're getting it mainly for the grip. I'd moved from using a Canon 7D, so I was used to having a big grip. The Really Right Stuff BOEM5 L-plate concept looks interesting. There are knock-offs available on Amazon, etc. Those provide for a supplemental grip as well as an Arca-Swiss compatible tripod mount QR base.

I think the point is that you can get accessories that improve your grip on the EM5. You don't have to buy an EM1 just to get a better grip. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    I too have always been baffled by the proliferating propensity to consciously invest in a mirrorless camera system because of its small size, only to then smack a big honking grip onto the body to make it larger again.

It may be because I used to shoot DSLRs with lenses that dwarf their m43 counterparts and developed the habit to carry my gear by the lens when the combo tended to become front-heavy, so I'm mystified by how everyone and their brother is having all these balancing issues. Just provide support at the center of gravity and you're good to go with any camera/lens combination.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    :thiagree: I'm confused as well. I have large hands (fair bit bigger than OP) and the EM5 feels just fine to me. Don't need no big-assed grip thingie.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  14. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

OP, my hands are a little bigger than yours.

I disagree with the above two posts. The addition of the Really Right Stuff grip extension and "L" bracket makes my EM5 a joy to carry around in one hand and shoot. Of course I rest the unit in the left hand under the lens when shooting - that is just basic hand-holding 101. But the fact is that the EM5 has a skimpy grip for hand-carrying. You are going to put a mounting plate on it anyway to use on a tripod and the "L" bracket makes switching to portrait mode a breeze, 3 seconds. Adding a grip extension just ties it all together and makes it balance perfectly for hand-holding and carrying.

Do you NEED a grip extension - no. Is it nice to have - a very resounding yes!

Note I am talking about a grip extension, not a battery grip. I have no need for multiple batteries in the camera or for shutter buttons on the grip. That just adds unnecessary weight and bulk.

15. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

This is just weird.

Imagine if you have an off camera flash to hold.

Imagine if there was something you would like to shoot and something in front of it you had to hold out of the way, or something inaccessable other than by leaning and bracing yourself with a hand, or something close enough to the ground or another object that holding the camera and lens with both hands is totally impractical other than by laying your entire body down on the dirt.

Congratulations you just figured out why people buy a grip.

16. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Hey guys, this is a personal preference thingie. Some feel it's better with a supplemental grip and others don't. It's not a right or wrong issue. There's enough demand to drive a 3rd party market for these. The fact that Olympus makes the ECG-1 for the EM10 indicates that they think so too. I prefer my EM5 with an accessory grip when using larger lenses, and leave it off when I want to go as compact as possible. :)

17. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I did the AA battery comparison as you showed in your image and my hand is slightly larger/longer than yours and I have no problem holding and manipulating my recently acquired E-M10. The issue might be how you are holding the camera. I do not have a shoulder strap on my E-M10 but like my Pentax Q7 I have a wrist strap. This allows me to wrap the wrist strap around my wrist which puts the right side strap lug nestled between my index finger and second finger. My index finger is the trigger finger. If I put a shoulder strap on the camera then it seems like everything gets out of whack. By the way I have found that the folks who have chunky thick fingers like brick layers are usually the ones who have the most problems with small cameras.

18. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    My hands look to be slightly larger.

The E-M5/lens is held in my left hand while the right hand has something to slightly grip and control the camera. So whether I’m using a 12mm or the 50-200mm lens, it’s balanced.

For me the E-M5 controls were not in the best locations but useable, some of that is because I’m a left eyed shooter. If I did not shoot situations where I often make changes I could get along with it just fine. I did buy the HLD-6 battery grip and keep the grip portion on the camera all of the time and use it quite often.

However for situations that are regularly changing, I much prefer using the E-M1.

After using a couple of DSLRs, it was great to have a camera in hand the felt much more like the first Olympus film camera I had for ten years.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm happy people have options. I'm not saying they shouldn't. I'm just saying i think most could benefit from a quick evaluation of their holding technique.

I also think people quickly adapt to whatever camera and shape they have and then anything else feels weird until they give it time to adapt again.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I can easily understand people with larger hands wanting to adapt the camera to suit them. One benefit of a small body is you get the choice use it like a small camera or a big camera purely by changing the grip and lens.

It is a shame they didn't use the Pen style, screw-on front grip, that doesn't need to add to the height by screwing into the tripod socket. Where 3rd party grips of any size would be possible.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1