My Grand Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Droogie, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    My primary camera is a Pany G3 which I absolutely love. Last year at this time however I started an experiment by buying an Oly refurb EPL2 and a VF-3, just to see what all the hubbub was about with the Pen cameras and the "rangefinder" form factor. This was going to be my trip camera and a place to park my legacy glass. Well as much as I do love the images from the Pen, I've come to the conclusion that it is just too "Fiddly" for me. I've used it for a full year and on a couple vacations and it just seemed like I was spending too much time on camera settings. The G3 with the control wheel and built in viewfinder just seems much quicker and intuitive - so I guess I'm a fan of the "DSLR" form of camera. So the grand experiment is over. I'll keep the pen as a backup, but not as a light weight trip camera.

I'm now looking for a small replacement for vacation shots and am looking at the Pany LX-7. Does this camera have a similar operating system and feel as the G3? Would the viewfinder addition be worth it?

Any thoughts?
  2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I have an LX5 that I carry around a lot. I am very happy with it! The LX7 is an improved version that should serve you well. The menu structure is similar to all Panasonic cameras. The LX7 has several added features such as the built in level and a faster lens. It is nice to have a camera that is easy to carry around when travelling. I do use the EVF on my LX5, but it does hamper the ability to carry it in a pocket. Watch the price for the LX7 as the end of the year approaches. If you shop around a bit you should find a good deal.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    If you can fit it in the budget, RX100. Maybe a Fuji X10/X20.
  4. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    RX100 MkII looks killer

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Ricoh GR? :p that camera does look pretty darn nice.
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't think your conclusions have anything to do with form factor, just manufacturer. I'm with you - the Panasonic OS seems more intuitive to me than the Olympus (I have ALWAYS had trouble figuring out Oly cameras), admittedly, I have not used one with super control panel activated.

Why not a GF series camera with pancake lenses?
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    The e-pL2 doesn't have enough good controls,
    the slightly better controls on the e-P2 might suit you, although it's more of a pain to ZOOM.

(I'm quicker with most settings on my e-P2 than my G3.
    Also G3 question : can you go from single shot "A" mode to 5-shot bracket "C1" without having to change the burst mode too? There's a thread involving that, maybe you can help.)

Now, if you'd really wanted to try out a "rangefinder" form factor camera you could've actually bought one instead of an e-pL2, right?? Fuji, Epson, Leica perhaps. Olympus still do not make anything of the "rangefinder" layout.
  8. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I don't care for the Olympus menus, but the SCP is very handy and fast to use, especially on a Pen with a rear wheel.
  9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Please don't take this wrong--and it seems like a good decision to go back to something you're comfortable with, no arguments there--but you really doomed your experience with Olympus from the start by not enabling the SCP. Whatever new camera you get I'd strongly recommend making sure you set it up so you can get the most out of it.

Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    No problem. Actually I did activate the SCP but it just seemed so over crowded with info. Don't get me wrong, I love the EPL2, and I still use it on a tripod at home. It just wasn't good for me to use on a vacation.

Although one of the cameras I'm looking at besides the LX7 is the XZ2 for vacation shots.
  11. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have just started to widen my search to a couple other brands and the RX100 and the X10/X20 both pop up with positive comments. Love the sensor size on the RX100. How is the screen in bright sunlight?
  12. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    My primary bodies are GX1s, however I have a G3 and prefer it for an SLR-style body over the G5 because it's so very small. While the style is SLR-like, I might argue that the form/size is more rangefinder.

A few months ago I sold my Canon S100 and purchased the LX7, I love it. The similar menus and fast lens make it a good tool for me combined with my m4/3 kit.

I have a few LVF2s, I keep them mounted on my GX1s, but did use one on my LX7 a little this past weekend. Since I already have the LVF2 it's a welcome option to be able to use one on the LX7, though I mostly just use, even prefer the LCD. Maybe if I used the LX7 outside more for general shooting I'd use it more with the LVF2?
  13. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I find the LX7 is a great little camera to use because there are those useful manual controls for aperture, aspect ratio and macro. I have the LVF2 as well which I find essential unless I have my reading glasses to hand - tried a Fuji X10 but although it has many good points I just couldn't get my head around the restricted area in the viewfinder (they say 85% but it seems less to me). The LVF2 is an expensive accessory, but well worth it to me.
  14. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I believe you can simplify the SCP to just show less info/basics. Personally I like it, but I think there are two options. I do prefer the controls of the OMD to the EP1 is more "DSLR-Like". I found myself using the EP-1 more like a point and shoot, because it was hard to shoot in M.
  15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I will echo the opinion that the E-PL2 is not the best choice as far as controls go. I use the E-P3 and find the controls to be very intuitive and easy to use in every mode, including M. I come from using Canon DSLR s, the last being a 40D and I find the control setup on the E-P3 works much better for me. I started with an E-PL1 but sold it because I did not like the controls. I bought an E-P1 and was hooked on the dual wheels on the back. I do own an E-PL3 because of the tilt screen, but I still don't like the controls and tend to use the E-P3 far more.
    Still, it all comes down to what you are used to using. That's why I own all Olympus bodies - I don't want to try to remember all of the Panasonic settings and menus along with the Olympus.
  16. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    My Oly EP-2 looks great. My Panny G5 is what I use 90% of the time.