1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

my goddaughter in black and white

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by cosinaphile, Mar 22, 2010.

1. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    my goddaughter in black and white.... high iso , single point incandescent roomlight

really dim light ..... shot with epi and voigtander 50 1.5 some 1\8 sec some 1\15

dani_reading.

dani_icecream1_copy.

dani_pencil_1.

dani_icecream_3.

• Like Like x 2
  2. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    great stuff here, love the shots. but no.2 really jumped out at me...bright, tones just right and timing is surpurb.

Nicely done,

Pete

3. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    thanks pete

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey I like pics 1 and 4. She's a photogenic girl.:)
    BTW, what is a goddaughter? Never heard of it before.

Icon

5. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    it is a relationship created during baptism, her catholic baptism was attended by yours truely and i agreed to be a type of spiritual father and 'spare" , if some tragedy strikes.
    etc ,or something to that effect ,

ive been in her life since she was 2 months old
    and she is the closest thing to a offspring i will ever be blessed with.
    personally im an athiest, but obviously im not in her face with my beliefs {shes six years old!} and the family is , well ....."churchgoers"

her grandmothers is a close friend for about 30 years , now raises the child

her biological father has decided to not be in her life , and her birth mother is.. well .. "preoccupied' so the grandmother who is the darlings charge permits me to spoil her with the occasional toy or book etc , and take her to the park after her ballet lessons on saturday etc

when she was 4 she had a lot of anxeity about not being able to read, but shes been reading very well for almost a year and we laugh together to remember a time when she did not read ," i told you you could do it with a little practice "

she beams with pride at her reading skills , and the beauty of her personality her intelligence and thoughtful questions , and the purity of her "soul" moves me deeply, and makes saturday my favorite day of the week.

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey thanks Cosinaphile for your detailed explanation. I'm quite the opposite to your beliefs as i'm a Bible believing Christian. It saddens me to hear people out there that cant accept the fact that there is a supreme being- that in fact created us. I'm not being sarcastic here, thats just what's on my heart. I guess if there was no God there wouldn't be atheists would there!
    But there's still time for a miracle.

iconindustries

• Like Like x 1
  7. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Miracles are there, we should be able to see them. In these days someone who takes care, with plain love, of a human being that could instead be in serious difficulties (I mean the pretty little girl), is a true miracle, don't ya think?
    Who cares if he's atheist.

Alessandro

• Like Like x 1
  8. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    fantastic, soft, tones.... wonderful set

• Like Like x 1
  9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You really captured her innocence. The light just adds to the warmth and on the background, it makes it magical....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Little Girl

Men are funny creatures. Who would not want to be a part of that adorable little girl's life? My own father left when I was young, he was in the old fashioned world's "show business" in the 1950s. He travelled all over the world and eventually settled in California and became a naturalized American. He lived there over forty years until he died recently. I hardly saw him over those intervening years and it has blighted my life more than I can say. I'm so glad that you have taken on the responsibility of being someone special in her life. She only needs to be loved and nurtured to blossom into a great human being and you will be proud of her one day! Good for you :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Love them all, but sorry to say I'm having some issues with the icc profile: not sure I'm seeing them really as desired. Tried to dl and open one in photoshop, but it says ICC profile is invalid. Assigning SRGB makes them look different from what I see in Firefox.

Sorry to bother with a tech detail, the shots are inspiring in every way I look at them, but I think it'd be better to see your own choice!

Alessandro

12. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Cosina, very nice....She is very photogenic indeed... Very touching story... I know some kids who are in the same boat... Her grandmother seems to be doing a great job, as this little girl is super happy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Cosina,
    I can't help thinking of James Van Der Zee.
    Magic...

• Like Like x 1
  14. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    some sharpening and tonal adj in elements and there was a sepia tone in the ep-1 that i removed as well saved as a jpeg , next ti9me im going to shoot raw , i think.

most atheists are the most spiritual people i know and most religious people seem programmed drones with their heads in the sand, , of course i dont mean this harshness directed at anyone in this thread , and many Christians are good people do good work lead good lives , as a percentage in other faiths do , i suppose .

Dont think i dont believe in mystery or the exquisite beauty and improbability of existence ,and the wonder of the miracle of life and love . its just that i dont have all the pat little answers , that many deeply religious do . ive seen the hypocrisy of Americas "faithful" first hand and witnessed first hand how a christian voting block successfully hijacked by evil people could help help drive a stake thru america and help turn it into nightmare of Orwells warning to the west

, again many devout folks have good hearts and sound minds .....on this forum and else where , so i hope no one takes offence

15. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi cosinaphile, I commented in your gallery when I first saw these images... just beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  16. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    very lovely shots

• Like Like x 1
  17. Enrique

Enrique Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    spain
    Nice set Cosina. I love specially the second one. The girl is sweet and pretty. Thanks for sharing your nice pics, and the story ¡¡¡

• Like Like x 1
  18. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    well thanks for the compliment shooter , but im no van der zee, by a long shot !

, i tried to give the images a sense of timelessness thru burn and dodge and monochrome...as an exercise for myself in portraiture, most of the thousands of photos ive taken of my goddaughter are in color

my own "heritage" is italian irish, New York style, my own father died on the operating table in washington dc in 1963 when i was 5.a fatherless existance can be rough at times...{the early days of open heart surgery for childhood rheumatic fever victims has taken its toll.} thankfully my upbringing was not polarized like so many , and ive been close friends with good folks from many varied cultures and backrounds.

my godaughter can handle the ep-1 pretty well , but its heavy for her, i offered her the gf1 with the 17 as it was lighter , but apparently shes an ep1 girl all the way! good for her. incredibly she wants to manual focus only, lol

19. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Cosina, regardless of what you did, the magic of Van Der Zee is there.
    The chair and background is intoxicating.
    Her expressions, as if she were alone...
    He was the true unsungmaster of portraiture.

I get the father thing. Mine died in a car accident when I was 6.
    I'm 60 at the moment but they tell me that's gonna change soon.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Cosina, a beautiful, touching series of portraits of your goddaughter. Thanks for sharing the images and discussion of your relationship with her.

• Like Like x 1