My God it's huge

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
(FT4) Are these the first leaked image of the new E-M1X??? - 43 Rumors
E-M1X_2-768x902.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not for me at all! Completely against the ethos of the system imho. I realise some will like it, but whatever are Olympus thinking of?

And why handheld hi res in a body pitched at sports and wildlife shooters?

Last edited:

Mu-43 Legend
Yeah, I saw that and had the same exact thought.

With my G85, I don't see me doing another upgrade, unless (hopefully) Panny releases a G95 (or something) with a 20MP sensor and I would love a focus point joystick.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I just hope that we get an update to the E-M5 someone soon. This beast isn't going to win Olympus a lot of volume.
I agree. A new E-M5 would be really nice...

Olympus clearly doesn't plan to win volume with this camera.

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
images-3.jpeg

"My god, it's full of stars"

Mu-43 Legend
The rumor says two more small bodies as well. I’m assuming that’s and em5 III and pen-f II

bye

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The E-M1X is still within the Olympus ethos of compact and light in the eyes of professionals who still shoot with the Dx/D8xx combo or the EOS 1DX (mk1/mk2) and EOS 5DSR combo. So basically, this camera does both (handheld hi-res and sports) which then remove the need to have 2 specialized FF bodies and it gives people like Jay Dickman even more edge to stay competitive. I have a feeling that with the 2x processing power of E-M1II (which is probably why it's so big to house the computing power), ISO 3200 on the E-M1X is like ISO 1600 with the E-MII and ISO 6400 will be like ISO 3200 with the E-M1II. The lower ISO will probably get oversampling to simulate more tonal range; aka more like FF images since now it can be done handheld. So compact, lightweight and gives the feel of a full frame but in an all 1 pro body, but with much smaller lighter lens system. If this is the case, then $3000 is a true bargain because getting those pro combos are more than $3000 with other brands. Nevertheless this is a camera configuration that has not been done before; except the rumoured Sony A7S Mark III which is supposed to get the 36MP sensor that is so high speed that it can do both speed like the Sony A9 and 8k video. In anyway, if this is the reality, then when they managed to reduce the size of the computing power and fit into the E-M1 III is when you get the advantages of the E-M1X. But then, the E-M1X will have gone on to Mk II to support 8k video if that is possible with MFT sensor..

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah, I saw that and had the same exact thought.

With my G85, I don't see me doing another upgrade, unless (hopefully) Panny releases a G95 (or something) with a 20MP sensor and I would love a focus point joystick.
The G9 is the pseudo-G95, like the G8 is the G85 (depending on the country).

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
They want to beat the G9 to the biggest Phaatie Award.

I agree that the adv. of m43 is small size - byThom even has an article on that...

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
I agree that the adv. of m43 is small size - byThom even has an article on that...
that's how it is for me too ... back when m43 was released I was seeking something more compact than my EOS stuff (but with equal image quality) for general photography as well as trips but something which had better features (shutter response, interchangable lenses, better rear screen) than my Coolpix 5000 (the older model, as they reused the name)

compared.jpg

10Dvs5000.jpg

The G1 did that (and followed later with a GH1 then a GF1) and I winced for a while as things got larger (like the GH3 did) ...

That we still have cameras like the GX80 and the G80 as well as that we have bodies like this thing is testament to how capable m43 is (meaning it can compete in my view on a level field with APS cameras as well as satisfy many commercial photographic needs) and diverse (all sharing one lens system).

Something for everyone ... Win Win

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Not from Panasonic's perspective.
its own product line, and continues off somewhere to the right...

personally I think that you could fill an entire page with the Panasonic product line (and its various discontinuous lines). Its like you almost need a Feynman diagram for its quanta states

Latest threads

Top Bottom