My God it's huge

dlentini

Mu-43 Regular
I don't think people interesting in D5/1DX is looking at entry level FF cameras like A7. But they might be interesting in an EM-1X. The price for a D5/1DX is also due to the fact they are built to a higher level of ruggedness, which the EM-1X will (probably) match.

It is not only for sport and wildlife but also photo journalists that uses these work horses to cameras. You don't go to document the war in Syria with toy cameras like the A7.

Olympus started already with the EM-1.2 to show that they build rugged cameras when they send the reviewers to Iceland, unfortunate most of the Youtubers/bloggers did not understand this as they are clearly not the target market.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
How big is the pro wildlife/sport/photojournalist market? I'd be surprised if it's that big. Surely the biggest segment for cameras other than smartphones is the well-heeled enthusiast?

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
**Olympus releases the E-M1ii and Pen-F in 2016**

- "Olympus is going away from the ethos of M43. Doesn't care about making small cameras anymore."

**Releases the E-M10iii in 2017. Only releases the E-PL9 in 2018, but announces a Pro E-M1X for 2019**

- "Olympus is going away from the ethos of M43. Doesn't care about making small cameras anymore."

o_O

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
**Olympus releases the E-M1ii and Pen-F in 2016**

**Releases the E-M10iii in 2017. Only releases the E-PL9 in 2018, but announces a Pro E-M1X for 2019**

o_O
What’s your point?

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
I think the success (or failure) of EM1X is really dependent on the AF systems, and the performance when paired with tele-prime and tele-zooms. They really need to make 150-400mm as good as 300mm Pro, in terms of AF as well as IQ. When rumors like 'EM1X AF beats D500 AF' start to spread, sports/wildlife shooters holding their D500 kit will look at EM1X, and consider switching.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
sports/wildlife shooters holding their D500 kit will look at EM1X, and consider switching.
Some might. There’s still the difference in following action through the viewfinder, which I find easier with an OVF vs EVF.

Then there’s the price delta to consider as well. You can pick up a D500, grip, and 200-500 for $3,200 new (even less used). The E-M1X is $3,000 by itself, and I can’t imagine the 150-400 being any cheaper than the 300/4 PRO, which would put the lens at $2,500+

The Olympus kit will still end up being around $2,500 more expensive. I guess it all depends on how deep the buyer’s pockets are though.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
If Sony threw Olympus a bone and gave them some of that A9 OSPDAF action, this camera might be pretty awesome for action shooters. Saying that, this is still going to be a tough sell in the face of competition. Nikon just released the 500mm f/5.6 VR which gives the D500 a 750mm FOV with the 1.5 crop. While the Nikon lens cost more ($1100 USD more going by retail prices), the difference is offset by the cheaper cost of the D500 and the flexibility to use the lens on other FF Nikon F-mount and Z-mount bodies.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Wish they put a screw in cable release like to Fuji XT3, a woaterproof shutter release would be nice for rainy tripod use.
Also looking to see where the tripod mounting hole is this time. It's the little things that count sometimes.
For what it's worth, the screw-in cable release actually produces another point of failure for weather-sealing. It's a liability, not a bonus. The manual release cable is just a flexible little sheath containing a wire, and that wire then goes inside the shutter button to strike the actual electronic shutter switch. This arrangement is just as difficult to prevent water ingress into (if not moreso, because it is a mechanical system) than the sealed 2.5mm stereo port that an electronic shutter release plugs into...

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
How big is the pro wildlife/sport/photojournalist market? I'd be surprised if it's that big. Surely the biggest segment for cameras other than smartphones is the well-heeled enthusiast?
That is what a few shops have told me, the biggest market for cameras overall is the enthusiast market.

DennyVanNostrand

Mu-43 Veteran
Not fake. I've seen photographs of it in use with an early adopter pro photographer.

If you have seen it I guess it's not fake. I think it's good to get some leaked images out there to stall photographers in the market for a new camera. This way they might wait before buying a Sony A9 or something else from the competition.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's just too much. Too much money, too much size, and too much camera. It looks like I'll just have to buy another EM10ii and figure out a way to solder one of the new fangled sensors into the thing. Apparently Olympus didn't read my letter. Sheeesh...

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
That's just too much. Too much money, too much size, and too much camera. It looks like I'll just have to buy another EM10ii and figure out a way to solder one of the new fangled sensors into the thing. Apparently Olympus didn't read my letter. Sheeesh...

If your target camera is the E-M10 II, then this camera was never intended for you. You are not Olympus’ target market/user.

If you’re really that desperate for a 20MP sensor, pick up the GX9. Or a Pen-F.

I don’t go around posting “Well, the new BMW Z4 is $65,000. Looks like I’ll just have to buy another Honda Civic...”

They’re entirely different cars, aimed at entirely different owners. The same applies with this camera. It’s intended for a specific type of user, and that user is not one whose primary camera is the entry-level OMD.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I don't think people interesting in D5/1DX is looking at entry level FF cameras like A7. But they might be interesting in an EM-1X. The price for a D5/1DX is also due to the fact they are built to a higher level of ruggedness, which the EM-1X will (probably) match.

It is not only for sport and wildlife but also photo journalists that uses these work horses to cameras. You don't go to document the war in Syria with toy cameras like the A7.

Olympus started already with the EM-1.2 to show that they build rugged cameras when they send the reviewers to Iceland, unfortunate most of the Youtubers/bloggers did not understand this as they are clearly not the target market.
That's true about being work horses. The Olympus E3 (DSLR) was one of those (followed by E5) as it was known to be "built like a tank!". Hopefully this E-M1X will follow that but of course, with competitive performance & results too.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
If your target camera is the E-M10 II, then this camera was never intended for you. You are not Olympus’ target market/user.

If you’re really that desperate for a 20MP sensor, pick up the GX9. Or a Pen-F.

I don’t go around posting “Well, the new BMW Z4 is $65,000. Looks like I’ll just have to buy another Honda Civic...”

They’re entirely different cars, aimed at entirely different owners. The same applies with this camera. It’s intended for a specific type of user, and that user is not one whose primary camera is the entry-level OMD.

Yeah, but at least E-M10 and E-M1 are the same brand.

Magua

Mu-43 Regular
Ok, I just saw a pic of it with an actual hand...and not a big sasquatch hand either, in fact it was a little smaller than mine. It's really not YUUUGE after all. Certainly smaller than the canikons. I can see why Phocal is so excited about it. It looks like something that's right up his alley, flippy screen or not. If it's got a screamin' rat motor inside of it then it could kick some ass.

Latest threads

Top Bottom