My girls...

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Streetshooter, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Pen1 & 20 1.7

All my life I have tried to get color that I could live with. I tried everything. I had masters show me tricks and yet nothing.
    Then along comes the Pen and eureka, I can live with it....well, sometimes...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Absolutely living color wonderful Don - I love seeing your girls together like this.:cloud-9-039:

3. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks BB...but it means I'm cooking dinner.....they ain't getting off the couch in a hurry....

• Like Like x 2
  4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That's a lovely picture, Don, and nothing wrong with the colour. :smile:

5. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    John,
    Thanks...here's my issue....
    I see the image as My Girls....as reality. In B&W I would see the image as a separate reality....
    I fall prey to my own methods.....

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I completely get it, Don.

7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I guess that proves the choice of colour or B&W should be based upon what is most appropriate for the image. Perhaps you should shoot more colour just as I should shoot more B&W. But it's hard to train your eye to see in a medium that does not come natural to you, I know that from my own monocrome efforts! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
  9. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Have you ever shot original Kodachrome, ASA 10? I shot one roll, many years ago- it was 16 years out of date even then. The colors are somewhat muted, not "picture postcard". The image that you posted has muted colors, lower-contrast. Highlights look good, shadows areas -grey on black- are still visible.

My uncoated lenses give muted colors, lower-contrast preserves highlights and shadow detail. Veiling flare fills in some of the darkest areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above is a 1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5, wide-open, converted to Leica Mount, on the M8. One of my favorite lenses. It delivers muted colors.

If you do not want images posted to your thread, let me know and iot will be gone.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Lovely shot Don .. for me the colour is very natural
    I like the dark background it avoids distraction from the main subjects and the composition expression(s) great.

I presume this was a RAW conversion

John

11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks all...yes it's from a raw file....
    Brian... I'm an old film shooter so yes I have played with color many times.
    I worked for an old portrait/wedding shooter many moons ago.
    I used a Blad with either a 120 or 150 most times.
    John (Claire Pruitt) had me use a stocking on the lens front because he wanted the effect on the portraits I made.

I guess after 40 some years I still make them the same way....
    The thing is, I see in B&W all the time so it's normal for me.
    When an image calls out to me to be in color, I get very excited, like a kid or like a new discovery....
    I look at the image and see it with virgin eyes and the pure wonder of the magic.....

It's really cool but it doesn't happen that often nor do I want it to....

12. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I shot wedding portraits for a friend "way Back, 1978", Stocking stretched out over the lens and K25 loaded. Years later photographed portraits for another friend getting married and used a Schneider Xenon 50/1.9 on a Retina Reflex IV for a "softer touch". I found the choice of the lens used made a real difference for color.

I have a "hang-up" shooting black and white with a color sensor in the camera. I would like to see a monochrome Digital camera re-introduced to the market. The companies that make the CCD's and CMOS sensors would produce them if the camera manufacturers ordered them. Not many people have used Monochrome Digital Cameras, but I believe any serious black and white shooter would love it if they had one.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    A dedicated b&w camera would be a joy for sure. I for one would be very happy.
    To be honest, I don't care if I ever make another color image. I don't see this ever happening again tho'.
    Remember, cameras are designed by engineers, not photographers. That's why there are stupid little ticks in cameras and their firmware.
    It would take an entirely different engineering aesthetic to make a dedicated b&w camera.

14. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I'm an engineer, in the Optical Sciences Division...

I had Kodak make a Digital Camera for me, Monochrome, no Infrared Cut filter. Called them up, talked to them about a custom run of CCD's. They called back a few months later, told me the Army also wanted some and they would do a run of 50. That was in 1993.

If Leica wanted 50 Monochrome CCD's, Kodak would produce them. I called them again.

15. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I seem to remember Kodak made a b&w digital body based on a Nikon frame and mount at the turn of the 21st century. If memory serves, this UFO was named 'D80N' or something like that; I remember the number because it was said tongue in cheek that it was the total production run number.

Those who used it still mourn it.

16. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Hey Shooter that's an awesome picture. I love the cat and wish it was mine, but I should be coveting other peoples things. Oh well. Only you could get a shot like that.

icon

17. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Don for your beautiful shot, well captured (created).

18. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks allabody. Please feel free to post photos on the thread.
    I did some testing many years ago with Kodak.
    I think the camera was a hacked DSC 220 or something.
    It was before cards came out.
    The camera was like a very small slr type.
    It had animated screens. It was a b&w version and another was a color version.
    At the tine it was like a toy but Kodak was very serious.
    I would update the firmware by cord to my computer.
    It took maybe 3-4 hours to download.
    My job was to see if it wasnor would be ever a practical way to make photos.
    The color wasn't great but those littl b&w files were just beautiful.

We've come a long way but then again maybe we haven't.
    I'd love a dedicated b&w machine.
    Until then, Silver Effx is working....

19. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    The one I was thinking of was the Kodak DCS760M.

Kodak Pro digital cameras DCS (see bottom of the page).

20. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Streetshooter, as much as I love B&W, that image is absolutely purrfect as is. Sorry, I have to go for the easy ones! Fantastic picture. Thanks for sharing your talent (and advice!) with us.