1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My GF2 Sensor Cleaner has become noisy :(

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mrjoshua, Dec 10, 2011.

1. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Hi All

I picked up my GF2 this morning, turned it on, and was greeted by a rather loud squeak from inside the camera.

I turned it off and on again and the sound returned.

Tried a different lens (and no lens), with no change.

I then tried the manual sensor cleaning routine within the custom settings menu... Same sound but a longer duration and changing pitch.

The camera is still taking good photos, but I'm a little worried about this noise as the camera was silent when starting up before today.

Googling this points to lots of Cannon owners, but no references to Panasonic cameras.

Have any of you guys and girls come across this phenomenon before?

Do you think this "warrants" a warranty repair?

Cheers

Josh

2. corona

corona Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm guessing our camera probably use this:
    Dust reduction system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

which is slightly audible. If I hold my camera up to me ear I can hear it squeak when cleaning, but holding it at normal operating distance from my face I really can't hear it.
    With the lens off, can you see any dust or anything on the sensor? I'd wager if there's anything on the sensor the weight of it would affect the sound of it, slowing down the shake and making it louder. (ps you shouldn't be able to see anything shake by eye)
    If you have a sensor cleaning brush you trust you could give it a manual clean perhaps (disclaimer, I've never done this myself, so don't scratch your sensor!) it might help though.

I would personally be quite worried if it got noticeably louder like this, it does certainly suggest something is not running as it should.

Andrew

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it is under warranty , send Panasonic an email. Even if it isn't , send them an email. They should know what to do to fix it. I have never had a sensor cleaner make noise and would be very worried if it suddenly started.

4. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks guys... I'm going to see if Panasonic UK has a helpline or email address. When I took it back to the camera store, they weren't able to shed any light on the problem - just wanted to send it away for warranty repair (which I'll do after the Xmas season if I have to).

I can't see any visible dust on the sensor, but I might get my sensor vac in there just in case.

5. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Huh, well I left it a few days, turned it back on and it still made a noise... So, in frustration I turned it rapidly off and on again a few times, then did a few manual sensor cleans (using the custom menu), and BINGO! It stopped making the noise!

It's now remained silent :) :)

Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Cheers

Josh