My GF1 is dead...replace with GF1 or GF2?

deanrinehart

Mu-43 Rookie
Simple question...

If you had to replace a GF1...would you search for a new GF1 body or buy a GF2? US prices are simliar enough for both...

I mainly shoot family pictures and video, but I need the occasional flexibility for more artistic things. I do not use an EVF (yet).

The full HD on the GF2 is enticing (I could leave my video camera at home 90% of the time), but the lack of a good ol' buttons, remote release, flash adjustment and 2nd curtain slow sync troubles me. Granted, the latter 3 are used in maybe 1 out of every 1000 images and some seem to think the touch-screen more than makes up for the loss of mechanical controls...

What do you think?

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For me it would be GF1.

But I feel the best advice would be for you to go and handle them side-by-side. Although you are very familiar with the GF1, a side-by-side where you put each through it's paces may answer your questions.

If you can, make some notes beforehand of typical shooting scenarios that require you to change controls etc. Work through them and se how you feel.

By the way, what did you do to the poor GF1?

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
Personally, I would find another GF1, but I don't do video and I like external controls, so my needs are different from yours. What happened to your GF1? Is it repairable?

All the best,

Colin

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
If it were me … keep in mind I have no interest in video. I am really pleased with GF-1 and have no burning desire to replace it but if it broke it would be in the running. My gut feeling is that the GF-2 would not be what I want, that being said I would still addition it. Now I would not stop there as I would also consider both the E-P2 and the E-PL2 they both seem to have the features I want. I think the great thing about µ43 is that if Panasonic doesn't fit your need then check out Olympus and visa versa.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
What?! no 2nd curtain sync on the GF2.
Is that for sure? I would never use flash any other way.
Please tell me that's not true... Unless it is.

What happened to kill your GF1?
I find mine very durable even in the rain...
Don't repeat the rain part.. Warranty issues...

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Over the years, I've found that how a camera feels to be largely rubbish. Modern cameras are all made with the average human hand in mind, with a little usage, most of us can easily adjust between one camera and the next.

I suggest to people purchasing a camera, is the most important thing is that the camera has the capabilities to match your photographic needs and desires. (i.e. Good IQ in low light, Action, Astro, Macro, Printing Large, et cetera.) After all else is considered ... then see how the camera feels.

The GF1 and GF2 don't really fall under the above statement. While buttons are buttons, a touch screen is quite a bit different than buttons and dial. I strongly recommend a test drive of the GF2 after considering your photographic needs and desires and a comparison of how the two cameras match. (If you shoot quite a bit of video ... then I woud think that the full HD capability of the GF2 would be significant.)

Gary

PS- Okay, how did you kill the GF1.
G

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Don't repeat the rain part.. Warranty issues...
:biggrin:

I would also consider both the E-P2 and the E-PL2 they both seem to have the features I want. I think the great thing about µ43 is that if Panasonic doesn't fit your need then check out Olympus and visa versa.

Good point.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Don the GF-1 is also good in the snow, and rain, and sleet, and ... hell it is just good.

Grant, I agree and verify about the rain, the sleet, the snow as being good.
The hell part, I'll have to check with my ex-wife...
She's a resident deciple down there...

deanrinehart

Mu-43 Rookie
Well…it's not really "dead", but I'm kinda OCD about electronics, especially those with moving parts…

Last week I slipped and fell on ice outside of a business and I fell with my GF1 in my hand…which also happened to be the hand that hit the ground first. Smacked up the back of the camera real good.

Everything seems to work fine after a few bends (the flash wouldn't pop out at first as the back had bent out at the button), but I can't help but always wonder about the innards/mechanicals after a shock like that. I'm going to send it to Panasonic for repair of the back and spec testing, after which it will go up for (honest) sale.

I need a new GFn body since I just can't be camera free for the time it will take for repair (and for the aforementioned OCD).

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Dean, that's a bummer.
Check out eBay. I've seen used GF1's for around $200.00.
Great deals. It could be more than that for repairs.

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
Last week I slipped and fell on ice outside of a business and I fell with my GF1 in my hand…which also happened to be the hand that hit the ground first. Smacked up the back of the camera real good.

Dean you have to attend Camera Ninja school. Last year while shooting eagles I lost my footing and fell backwards hit my head and the lights went out. When I came to I was told I guided my camera to my chest, long lens and all. It bounce off my chest again and again only to be guide back each time. It seems even out cold I never let go the Ninja grip held.

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
Same here - slipped on the ice a few weeks ago - had the camera in my left jacket pocket, managed to land on my right side. Bruised my hip, but managed to save the cam.

Oh... the things we do for love :eek:

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I agree with Shooter. There are great deals on the gf1 at eBay.
Easy to find a body only, or a great deal with a kit lens which you could then sel to defray cost.

Today I bought a new panasonic 45-200 for $269. I was shopping for the 14-140 but the price is sooooo good on the 45-200 I grabbed one of those.

Noticed several gf1 bodies during my quest.

deanrinehart

Mu-43 Rookie
Just to bring this full circle, I nabbed a new GF-1 body online last night for $400. Probably not a great price, but worth the peace of mind to me.

Thanks for your insight everyone!

squidbrand

Mu-43 Regular
My GF1 hasn't ever been hit hard, but the shell's got a lot of little nicks, dents, and brassing, and I don't do anything to protect it from further blemishes. The more dinged-up it gets, the more mine it will be. Unless it straight-up breaks.

Latest threads

Top Bottom