My GF wants a camera...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by tyrphoto, May 17, 2015.

1. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    She doesn't particularly care about brands, sensor sizes, megapixels, etc... but she does have a few requirements.

1. She would prefer a white camera, if at all possible
    2. She would prefer one with a 180° flip screen to be able to do selfies.
    3. She would prefer it to have WiFi so that she can download photos to her phone and upload to social media, blogging and friends.

Also, if it has a touchscreen, that would be a bonus but not a requirement. Some might be thinking that a smartphone fits all of those requirements but she does want something that produces better images than a smartphone.

The only cameras I can think of at this moment that matches all three requirements are:
    - Olympus E-PL7
    - Fuji X-A2
    - Samsung NX Series

All three of those are ILCs and with attached lenses, gets a bit bulky for her to be able to carry around on a daily basis with the exception of the Samsung NX Mini which is pretty tiny.

Any other suggestions, including fixed lens cameras?

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Nikon 1 J5, maybe other models (with 10-30 pancake).

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    What about lens requirements?

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    That's camouflaged request for iPhone 6 Plus :D

GF7?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Canon EOS-M3 checks the boxes.

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Duly noted. Thank you.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    No specific lens requirement but would need to be wide enough to do selfies with her, maybe some friends and most likely me from time to time to fit in the frame.

I let her use my Ricoh GR Digital III (28/1.9) from time to time and she enjoys using it. Personally, I think the new Ricoh GR would be perfect for her if she didn't have the hangup about wanting a white camera that can do selfies.

8. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I use an iPhone 6 Plus but she shows no interest in wanting an iPhone. She's actually more comfortable using Android phones and wants the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

Panasonic GF7 duly noted.

9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I just saw this. It's a Sony Asia product so it should be available here in Korea.

Probably not the greatest of IQ but it's got to be better than the camera on her Samsung Galaxy S4. A bit pricey for what it is but I'll see what she thinks of it.

I think something like a Ricoh GR or even a Panasonic GM1/GM5 would be perfect for her, but she needs that 180° flip screen and of course the white color. :shakehead:

Anyways, keep up with the suggestions.

Sony-Cyber-shot.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well other than it not being white or have a flip screen you could buy her my GM1. :biggrin:

But really.
    • Nikon1 J5 might be interesting if the 1" inside finally lives up to the ones in the RX100 series. Yes they have it in white
    • E-PL6 I believe is available in white thought seems to be going for a little more than the $299 of the black one and you would need to add the WiFi card.
    • E-PL7 certainly an option and very capable.
    • Panasonic GF7 might also be high on the list and it comes with the nice 12-32. Not sure if they come in white.
    • Samsung NX3000 or Mini might be good as well. Sumsung does know WiFi and the connections options seem pretty good. And the Mini comes in white.
    • Last option that comes to mind is the RX100 mIII, only the III has the full flip screen. Pricey and not in white but might be the most complete small package.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    EPL7 with 12-32

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Panasonic GF7 comes with the 12-32 by default and ticks all your boxes, too. It's available in white, but not in all markets. It's pretty similar to a GM1 but adds that upward tilting selfie screen.

NX Mini with the 9mm prime is absolutely tiny and at least has a 1" sensor.

Nikon 1 J5 is another option. They also have a lot of white lenses.

This one might be interesting if you want some zoom and a cheap price: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/15/canon-powershot-n2/

(And I'll just add that I can share your pain a bit here. My wife likes any camera as long as it comes in blue! :))

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Panasonic gf7 seems to target her market. Comes in multiple colours. Has a vertical flip screen for selfies. Small. Touchscreen (I think). Wifi. Various filters.

14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Can you sell her on using wifi through her cell phone to set up and take the pic? That would at least take away the need for a 180 degree flip screen. And I think it is easier in most cases anyway.

What about fancy after-market skins to mitigate the need for a white camera? Aki-Asahi offers a whole bunch of options.

Just trying to give you options, because I don't want to imagine you buying that Sony! :) Of course, it is more economical than the similar Casio models. Makes sense that someone else is offering that sort of camera.

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    In the :mu43: world, I would say that the GF7 + 12-32 is probably your best bet.

16. I bought my wife a very nice looking white Olympus XZ-1 a few years back to replace her aging Panasonic TZ5, but she thought that even it was too big so I sold it and she kept the Panasonic instead (albeit uses it only sporadically).

17. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    There's also the Sony A5100, which fulfills all of the requirements.

18. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Unfortunately no tilty-flippy screen but the Canon Powershot S120 is compact with a nice lens. Also available in white. As its a little older, I suspect you'd get a good deal on it too.

Also from Canon - the N2

ps-n2.

19. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Olympus is only choice in by opinion as it has IBISand that makes so easy to get great photographs that no OIS helps. As people want cameras to be easy, there is no sense (in my holy opinion) to give camera without IBIS unless person truly can withstand blurry photos and knows how to work with cameras without such and likes to carry tripod (even small one).

20. halfhand

halfhand Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    I would say GF7 or perhaps Samsung Mini, but I don't know about the wifi.