My Full Frame is Film

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
Negatives arrived back from the lab this afternoon so got to scanning a few.

Film: Kodak Tri-X
Camera: Nikon F3
Glass: AI-Nikkors 50-1.8 & 105-2.5
Scanned with Plustek OpticFilm 8100, RAWs converted in Negative Lab Pro.

raw0021-positive.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
raw0025-positive.jpg
raw0036-positive.jpg
raw0038-positive.jpg

Real Name
Andrew L
Expired Superia 400 overexposed a stop, the Bessa T with 50mm f3.5 Heliar (before I bid farewell to that lens).

2341162-R1-23-2.jpg

2341162-R1-24-1.jpg

Real Name
Andrew L
img551-2.jpg

img543-2.jpg

DHOC_TAZH

Mu-43 Regular

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Topical stuff, not mine:

This photojournalist (https://twitter.com/chrisbobyn) shot a photo essay for the BBC

bbc.in/3f8ojro

In an ICU in a Scottish hospital, in the 2020 pandemic.

On analogue film (using a Leica, he said on Twitter).

A dozen shots shown, well worth a look IMHO

Someday I'd like to know more about the shoot. I'm assuming he's pushing Tri-X or HP5 but it's been so long since I've really worked with film I might be expecting too much. Whatever, he's doing, it works, really well done photojournalism.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Canon AE-1, 50mm f1.4, UltraFine Extreme 400. 1st pulled 2 stops, 2&3 at box speed, last three pushed 3 stops.

P7117367.jpg
P7117380.jpg
P7117387.jpg
P7117389.jpg
P7117392.jpg
P7117398.jpg

Yes, I know - dusty. I need to figure out a better drying system. Also, the grain in #5 looks terrible compressed from the original resolution..

Last edited:

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Really nice thread.

My scanner broke down a few years ago, and I wasn’t to happy with it anyway. Any advice how to digitize film anno 2020?
I would like to occasionally use the old camera’s I have. I will send two 35mm rolls to a developer, and have him scan them as well. But iI’m very curious what opinion about scanning is, especially seeing the quality pictures in here.

Not a very good picture, and a few years old but it’s me, so hi :drinks:

Nikon fm3a + 45mm f2.8 and Ilford SFX200 + red filter.
575A282A-9B48-48C1-8EC9-703744099EF5.jpeg

Nikon f2as + 55 f1.2 - Ilford pan f plus (stabilisation: leaning to a + 5 EV lamppost)
330B0CCF-5D2C-4F76-A368-903DC1380FA2.jpeg

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Really nice thread.

My scanner broke down a few years ago, and I wasn’t to happy with it anyway. Any advice how to digitize film anno 2020?
I would like to occasionally use the old camera’s I have. I will send two 35mm rolls to a developer, and have him scan them as well. But iI’m very curious what opinion about scanning is, especially seeing the quality pictures in here.

Few options

#1 get an old film/slide copier. The catch is they were designed for 35mm film, so you may not be able to get the full frame with a m4/3 camera.

#2 get an old bellows film/slide copier. You need the appropriate macro/closeup lens for m4/3. The catch is they were designed for 35mm film, so you may not be able to get the full frame with a m4/3 camera.

#3 rig a copy stand. camera + macro lens (or close up lens). The trick is how to hold the film FLAT, and back illuminate the film.

#4 take a chance on another film scanner. I have not seen any new dedicated film scanners in quite a while.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
More options:
Developers typically provide a scan. Almost all of the photos I've posted in this thread were from them, and most of those were with 30+ year old film that I had stored in the refrigerator. These are their lowest quality scans, but plenty for the web.

Buy a used scanner. I found an old Wolverine 14MP scanner that does slides, negatives (converts them in-scanner) and photos up to 5x7 on craigslist for $20 in virtually brand new condition. Again, good enough for the purpose

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Few options

#1 get an old film/slide copier. The catch is they were designed for 35mm film, so you may not be able to get the full frame with a m4/3 camera.

#2 get an old bellows film/slide copier. You need the appropriate macro/closeup lens for m4/3. The catch is they were designed for 35mm film, so you may not be able to get the full frame with a m4/3 camera.

#3 rig a copy stand. camera + macro lens (or close up lens). The trick is how to hold the film FLAT, and back illuminate the film.

#4 take a chance on another film scanner. I have not seen any new dedicated film scanners in quite a while.
More options:
Developers typically provide a scan. Almost all of the photos I've posted in this thread were from them, and most of those were with 30+ year old film that I had stored in the refrigerator. These are their lowest quality scans, but plenty for the web.

Buy a used scanner. I found an old Wolverine 14MP scanner that does slides, negatives (converts them in-scanner) and photos up to 5x7 on craigslist for $20 in virtually brand new condition. Again, good enough for the purpose

Thnx for the input!!:drinks:

I was hoping for an easy fix, but alas, not so simple (which I suspected). I had a Reflecta, those are still for sale. A lot of software and USB related issues, and rather mediocre results imo. I do know a camera store who had a few Nikon Coolscans for sale. But I doubt a current Windows version is supported, so another workaround.

I’ll try the scanning service first, I have found a few adresses, with professional scanners (including a Imacon Flextight, but those scans are a bit expensive)
I’ll shoot a few rolls first, and see what I get from the scanning service. Going to be fun :)

And I’ll keep the film/slide copier + 35mm camera in mind. Seems like a viable solution, and not software dependent. And I assume a manual macro lens will suffice.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Some places like The Darkroom offer 3 levels of scans. I always opted for the lowest since I had no idea what was on the rolls. Plus, if need be you can always send the negatives in for a higher resolution scan if needed.

The Scanner I bought uses an SD card, so no software at all.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If I may be permitted to sneak in these half-frame shots from the 1959 Olympus Pen I picked up from a thrift store for a couple bucks and cleaned up. Figured exposure with an iPhone app. Tri-X film supplied, processed and scanned by the Free Film : USA project.

50148329438_8883ef07f7_b.jpg

Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA002 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

50148329293_37ab25c1a0_b.jpg

Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA003 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

50148872186_c1e2ee9fe8_b.jpg

Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA010 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

50149109317_cf29669ba9_b.jpg

Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA014 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

50148328183_e7ea8a45a5_b.jpg

Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA024 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

50148871441_6db9a47cbf_b.jpg

Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA028 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

Last edited:

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
If I may be permitted to sneak in these half-frame shots from the 1959 Olympus Pen I picked up from a thrift store for a couple bucks and cleaned up. Figured exposure with an iPhone app. Tri-X film supplied, processed and scanned by the Free Film : USA project.

View attachment 837101
Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA002 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 837102
Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA003 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 837103
Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA010 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 837104
Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA014 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 837105
Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA024 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 837106
Baltimore_Francis_Lewis_AA028 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr
Nice! I’m waiting a batch of film to be developed and scanned from my Pen f and hopefully returned this coming week. Im just hoping she’s functional; this was a first roll test.
Anyways, that Tri-x looks wonderful!

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nice! I’m waiting a batch of film to be developed and scanned from my Pen f and hopefully returned this coming week. Im just hoping she’s functional; this was a first roll test.
Anyways, that Tri-x looks wonderful!

Thanks, all. This was my first roll in the camera, and aside from framing issues I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Interestingly, the tri-x scans were very low contrast, here's a comparison of the flat scan with my levels changes in LR version. I'll eventually get the negatives back at which point I can compare their scans to what the negatives actually look like. I'm guessing all the film is processed this way so as to minimize exposure issues and give post some headroom to work in?

scanme.gif

Last edited:

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Thanks, all. This was my first roll in the camera, and aside from framing issues I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Interestingly, the tri-x scans were very low contrast, here's a comparison of the flat scan with my levels changes in LR version. I'll eventually get the negatives back at which point I can compare their scans to what the negatives actually look like. I'm guessing all the film is processed this way so as to minimize exposure issues and give post some headroom to work in?

View attachment 837433
Oh wow...isn’t that odd? That seems awfully flat without the added contrast. It will be curious to compare the negatives. Wonder what kind of scanner they used?

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Oh wow...isn’t that odd? That seems awfully flat without the added contrast. It will be curious to compare the negatives. Wonder what kind of scanner they used?

All I could glean from the scan's metadata is that they're 32-bit. I'm going to ask the Free Film project what they use for both developing and scanning, I'm betting it's something like Diafine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom