1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My full E-P5 Review at Admiring Light

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Jman, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I finished my full review of the Oly E-P5. Great little camera. Still a few quirks, and possibly priced a little high given the competition, but a great camera nonetheless. Review: Olympus Pen E-P5 @ Admiring Light

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice review. At what price point do you think we ignore the lack of built-in EVF?

3. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    I always enjoy your reviews. There is one typo: It should be GX7 in the sentence below.

" But in 2013, we have the Sony NEX-7 and NEX-6, the Fuji X-E1, and the upcoming Panasonic GX1."

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks. That's up to each individual person. For some people, even at its current price it's well worth it. If I didn't already own the OM-D, I may have thought about picking one up. For me, probably around $799, I'd say.

Thanks! Been so used to typing GX1 for a while (since I own one), it slipped by. It's been fixed. Thanks for the catch!

5. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Nicely done. Quite comprehensive.

One thing that would have helped is extending the comparisons with other cameras. For example, your descriptions of the ISO noise characteristics don't mention if this is in any way an improvement on your previous model, or just more of the same. Context is helpful!

I look forward to the day when this camera is $400. I may have to wait a while!

6. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks...I did include a comparison of the noise to other cameras...the first paragraph of the Noise section is:
    "Noise performance on the E-P5 is right in line with the other Olympus cameras using this sensor. There might have been some very minor tweaking of the processing and the sensor, but ultimately in real world use it’s essentially identical."

Earlier in that page (leading off the image quality section), I list the cameras using that sensor, so it's not left to the reader to know that off the top of their heads. "The Olympus Pen E-P5 features the same 16 megapixel sensor that first debuted in the OM-D E-M5 and has since trickled down to the E-PL5, E-PM2 and now the E-P5. "

7. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    OK, then it's even more comprehensive than I thought! ;-)

8. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    No problem...thanks for reading!

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Very sensible review Jman, I especially like the comprehensive and realistic list of Cons on the final page.

Well done that man.

I too will wait for a battered used model next year ... brilliant!

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Really nice review and some top-class sample shots too - none of the usual boring stuff found in some reviews like public buildings, fountains or some quickly-snapped and uninspiring street scenes!

Regarding the EP5, I think the list of cons at the price has confirmed my decision not to invest in one. I'd like something with better controls to replace my EPL5, ideally with a built in EVF, but I think it'll be the GX7, not the EP5.

11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Great review and I love that you mentioned this as this is probably this biggest single thing that I am really impressed with the E-P5.

12. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks, looks like a great little camera. I'll be all over it once the price slides below $500. Hopefully by then RRS will have a custom L-plate for it.