1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Foray with Street Stuff With the E-P3 (Image Heavy)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by kundalini, Sep 13, 2011.

1. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    I know a lot of you guys (not gender specific) are much more adept to shooting street photography than I. But at some time you have to break the skin. Although I have done the occassional shoot on the street, it has been a burgeoning process and now I have the opportunity to have a small footprint to boot.

I tried to keep the focal length at 20mm or 25mm to get a grasp for a fast prime. I can definetly see the intrigue, but after this outing, I think my preference is to shoot long and isolate the subject(s). The jury is still out and another session is in order to go with the 40-150mm. I also chose to shoot in the worst time of day to test the camera's ability to handle DR without any filters to circumvent. These are basically SOOC and only converted to B&W in CS5 with Auto setting, then resized to 1000 pix on the long edge.

Like a moth to a flame, a photographer and a mirror.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I met these kids from NC State that were making a project called "Impressions".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They wanted to know if I'd participate. Sure, I said. Stay still for 20 seconds and you're done they said. But my man in the backgrund started on the keyboards again, and i told him that I can't stand still, my man was grooving on some serious reggae. I also had to remind him to remove the lens cap. :smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed. Critique appreciated.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Baytoven

Baytoven Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, NC
    James Isaac
    Nice captures. These look like they were taken downtown in the City of Oaks (Raleigh, NC).

3. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Image #6 (with the sole skateboarder) got the biggest reaction out of me. A close second is the next one, with the sleeping man. I like and come back to those 2 shots when viewing the set.

Shooting people in the street is difficult for me. I tend to shoot the inanimate, although my eyes are often drawn to faces and people in settings. Kudos for the fearlessness.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    In general, I see quite a few areas blown out to highlights and very little with blocked up shadow detail. I don't know if it's your camera or you, but they seem overexposed (slightly) in general. You have some good good subjects. A couple compositions are great. They all seem a bit flat contrast-wise, but a very good start. With a little processing, there's a couple nice keepers here. They are all 1000% better than those shots that are kept on a memory card and never shared. Bravo!

when asking for C&C, it's helpful to number them. I'd give specifics about a couple faves, but it's too late for me to count or describe which shot I'm referring to.

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    # 6 was a nice catch- #7 is good too..

6. Hey, hadn't you made a remark about not numbering images in a thread earlier :smile:

I think Luke has a good point regarding contrast. They lack a bit of "pop" as the standard photoshop b&w conversion is prone to do. Tweaking the curves would bring these up nicely. Thanks for posting.

7. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    You have a keen eye sir. I need to get back over to Durham too. I think it holds more interesting architecture.

Now this is embarrasing. I have no excuses, but I have corrected the blunder. :blush:

Agreed. I didn't take the time to tweak these. There are a couple that I like and will work on them later this week.

I did take these shots at mid-day and it was quite bright. As I normally shoot in Manual mode, this time out I tried Aperture priority. Still getting use to the camera.

Thanks for the feedback.

8. Very good :thumbup: #1, 6, & 13 for me. I also love the dude's expression in #11.

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    #6 and #11 are my 2 faves