My First Year As a Pet Photographer

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
First of all, thank you for the front page feature! Such a pleasant surprise to see one's photo there when coming to the forum. :)

Teemu, these are terrific! Well, I just help adding more SEO-points for your website :).

Cheers
Thanks! Much appreciated. :)

Excellent works! 👏👏
You got quality and I have no doubt that you will get more and more clients.
This is a kind of portrait I also like very much.
A dozen years ago or something I had in mind doing these kind of photo sessions, but then I've started to do people portraits and I love it even more.
Keep up the good work and keep sharing.
Getting complimented by you means a lot to me. I REALLY enjoy your portraits (even the selfie ones :D ) so... Thank you! :drinks:

Nice work! You inspire me to come out of retirement - I'll think about it after this next nap.: )
Thank you! I hope to see some photos soon(ish? I guess it depends on the length of the nap...) then... :biggrin:

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
I was all set to get serious about picking up a camera to make money again. But the busy day got filled with pasta variations and suddenly I Iooked up and there is barely time for my evening nap before bedtime!! Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe. ;)

Still, a good idea. I found people here were more easily sold images of their pets than of themselves. Big canvases are really well suited to that work. As with people, expression trumps everything. But it is easier because Fluffy is "just so cute!"

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Wow! Surprisingly, after a year, business is picking up again. Not sure when I will get time for photography again. Our state is hiring even more nurses to care for Covid victims, which means even more overworked people that need our services to cover the many needed naps they are missing. It's tiring work, but someone has to do vicarious naps for front-line medical workers. I started this service for busy young mothers, but when COVID hit, I switched over to covering for people working to keep us all alive.
It is a real honor to cover a vicarious nap for someone that is serving the public good. I am always looking for new volunteers in this service. Experience is required - you must be old and tired and searching for meaning in those brief periods of wakefulness.

The first thing that comes to my mind after reading your post and viewing your images which were very good...

It looks like you are concentrating on portraits - meaning posed portraits. But you did have a couple action type shots.

This all reminds me of a forum I used to participate in years ago and a certain member. He would visit a dog park every day with his dog and got phenomenal candid shots of many dogs.

I’ve never seen any of these dog parks - I guess they are in more populated urban areas.

My point is - I really liked the candid shots. He captured facial expressions and action shots with the interaction of different dogs which was fantastic.

Along with that - I thought what an opportunity to promote your work than spending some time at a dog park. You could set up a little single stand with some of your portfolio prints while still keeping busy shooting the dogs. I would bet you would get some instant clients this way.

Just me thinking out loud.....

I actually found a couple of his threads with pics -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/257564-pets-happenings-dog-park.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/251219-pets-personality.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/249774-pets-more-dog-park-portraits.html

Hayath

Mu-43 Veteran
These are amazing, Teemu! Must've put huge smiles on the owners' faces
I'm sure you'll have a flourishing career as a pet photographer

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
My point is - I really liked the candid shots. He captured facial expressions and action shots with the interaction of different dogs which was fantastic.

Along with that - I thought what an opportunity to promote your work than spending some time at a dog park. You could set up a little single stand with some of your portfolio prints while still keeping busy shooting the dogs. I would bet you would get some instant clients this way.
Thanks for the tip! I actually do enjoy taking candid shots more so I will try this approach at some point. I have taken candid photos once or twice at some events and shared the photos with "you can pay a tiny sum if you're happy with the photos" message but no one has given me a single penny with that approach. But I guess it would be more of promoting myself and perhaps triggering people into asking me for a paid photo shoot.

But yeah, definitely a thing worth trying. :drinks:

These are amazing, Teemu! Must've put huge smiles on the owners' faces
I'm sure you'll have a flourishing career as a pet photographer
Thank you so much! I hope you are right. ;)

But I guess it would be more of promoting myself and perhaps triggering people into asking me for a paid photo shoot.
That was kind of my thought. If you could have your vehicle nearby set up a simple small display of images along with your name and contact info. Then I would just go about my business shooting - maybe even acting as if you are too busy shooting great dog shots to tend your display.

I would bet some people might approach you and others would write down your info and contact you at a later time.

I am a serious introvert and avoid talking to people at all costs. I especially won’t be forward in promoting myself or my work. That’s why I would have them come to me if they are interested. If nobody shows any interest no big deal as you are gathering more shots for your portfilio.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
The first thing that comes to my mind after reading your post and viewing your images which were very good...

It looks like you are concentrating on portraits - meaning posed portraits. But you did have a couple action type shots.

This all reminds me of a forum I used to participate in years ago and a certain member. He would visit a dog park every day with his dog and got phenomenal candid shots of many dogs.

I’ve never seen any of these dog parks - I guess they are in more populated urban areas.

Just me thinking out loud.....

I actually found a couple of his threads with pics -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/257564-pets-happenings-dog-park.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/251219-pets-personality.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/249774-pets-more-dog-park-portraits.html
I took a quick look at those links. Given the angle of most of the shots I can only assume that the photographer was/is very short :)

I took a quick look at those links. Given the angle of most of the shots I can only assume that the photographer was/is very short :)
It’s one of those things that I try to remember myself - get down low, point the camera up - whatever it takes to get a different perspective.

It’s getting increasingly hard for me to get down on the ground and get back up as I get older - that’s why with my last camera purchase (G85) an articulating screen was a must.

It’s one of those things that I try to remember myself - get down low, point the camera up - whatever it takes to get a different perspective.

It’s getting increasingly hard for me to get down on the ground and get back up as I get older - that’s why with my last camera purchase (G85) an articulating screen was a must.
Getting down is easy (but painful), it’s getting backup that is the real challenge.

rexv

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Rex
Really great pet shots that show personality and action! Think about approaching vets to place one or two shots in their waiting areas or elsewhere and put a little business card in a convenient place in plain view -- maybe offer the vet a complimentary shoot or two for his favor. I'm amazed about how much people love and will expend for their pets. Good luck!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom