My First Underwater Pics Ever (E-PL1 and PT-EP01 underwater case)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Gusnyc, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hello Everybody!

A month ago I asked for suggestions for underwater photography before my trip to Australia. Thanks to all the people who helped me to decide what to bring to the Great Barrier of Reef.

After considering their advice, I decided not to get strobes for this trip, since I didn't have a lot of time to choose the right one for me (I love to research the gadgets I get). Instead, I went down-under armed with the E-PL1, the underwater case for it (PT-EP01 from Olympus) and a red filter.

Because I didn't have the lights, I took my camera only when I was doing the shallower dives (5-15 meters). I have to say that it took a lot of effort to frame the picture underwater, I wasn't expecting that. In any case, using the camera underwater opened a whole new world of enjoyment when I do scuba diving.

In my opinion, the E-PL1 took some really nice shots. People in the live-aboard equipped with SLRs were kind of jealous of the results using a relatively small underwater case. By the way, the iPad in the boat was the perfect complement to the camera. It was really useful to download the pics to it at the end of the day and check the pics on that wonderful screen.

So far I just worked on the JPGs. I only used auto-level in Aperture 3. I have the RAW images stored when I learn how to adjust them.

You can see the results in flickr:

Underwater E-PL1 - a set on Flickr

and also in a gallery in this forum:

Underwater E-PL1 pics - Mu-43 Gallery

Please let me know what do you think about those shots. I will welcome ideas to improve them in my next trip.

Cheers!

Gus

• Like Like x 24
  2. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    nice shots!

lots of jealousy right now :redface:

I can't wait to get there myself and have my go at it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Gus, I looked at these last night on Flickr and left a bunch of comments over there...but just came back from your gallery here. I think you and your little E-PL1 got some really great shots. I'm very impressed by your first experience shooting underwater with this camera! Have you ever done any underwater photography before?

The colors are wonderful!

I loved my own scuba diving experiences, though they were quite a long time ago. It's a different world down there - almost silent, where all the cares above are gone. Your photographs bring that back to me, so I thank you for a mini vacation - and for bringing back wonderful memories, as well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. wilson.c

wilson.c Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2010
    Great series. I like the one with the turtle best :) What lens did you use on the E-PL1?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gusnyc

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi BB! Thanks for your comments (here and in Flickr). You are so nice! This is my first experience with a camera underwater. It was a lot of fun. I really liked the underwater case from Olympus. Everything worked perfectly. I thought the setup was going to be more complicated than what it was. Olympus made it easy with the case.

I agree with everything you say about scuba diving. It adds another dimension to traveling. Now, photography adds another dimension to scuba... so there you go... ;)

Gus

• Like Like x 2
  6. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    Unfortunately I do not scuba but snorkeling at the Great Barrier reef was an amazing experience for me, great first time underwater photos

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gusnyc

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi Wilson, thanks for your comment. I used the kit lens.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Wow, I thought those were pretty incredible. Great colors and light, mostly good focus although one or two were a bit off in that regard. And a few of them work as really fine images, beyond just a VERY cool documentary series.

I had no idea that outfit would work so well. I'm asthmatic so I can only snorkel - no tanks or deep water for me. So I can only see stuff like that in pictures. So THANK YOU - that's a real treat.

-Ray

9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    gus , i recall you getting the kit assembled, wonderful shots , your a natural down there

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Hey Gus it looks like you really had a good time in Australia. Those pictures you got here make me want to go out and check it out myself (haven't done it yet)
    What did you get up too? Did you have a chance to see around Kuranda near Cairns?

Icon

11. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

A wonderful series. Thanks for sharing them.

12. Marcriv

Marcriv New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2010
    How to set the E-PL1 to underwater setting

HI Gus,
    I just got the camera and underwater housing and can'r figure out how to set the camera to the underwater/fish setting. Have you got any tips for me?

13. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Great pics, I'm so jealous, I'd love nothing more than to combine my old hobby (marine reef aquariums and diving) with my new hobby, photography. I took a stab at identifying your fish, but I'm a bit rusty as it's been a few years. Thanks so much for sharing!

14. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
  15. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    They are great !!!!! :thumbup:

16. PetitP

PetitP Mu-43 Regular

Great ! Many thanks for sharing this.

17. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    Gus--those pictures look impressively good. In fact, I think you were better off without the strobes, at least at snorkelling depth--the natural light looks much better than the bright-subject/black-background look you can get with strobes.

18. justin28

justin28 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    Yea those are really amazing, I just bought an underwater case for my FlipCam and cant wait to get to the bahamas in a couple of weeks to test it out!! :D

Unfortunately though the stills created from the video are hardly enough quality that I would want, I recently bought a GF1 and am not extremely jealous of your cam / housing setup. Any chance you'd know if they make a housing for the GF1??

Great work on your shots again though, really impressive!