1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My first try at video

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Talanis, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Here is my first try at video. Filmed with an Olympus OM-D and a O75mm + a E-PM2 with the O45mm.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EWza5kwm5Nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 1
  2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Very nice. Did you do any color grading or is the color just so uniform between the two lenses since they're both Olys?

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not bad for a first time.
    Interesting subject, a sandwich followed by a woman photographing it and then she digs in.
    The music is well done! Instrumental that fits the subject and isn't too loud. Clips are long enough without being boring. Angles shifted without crossing the line.
    Well done hand holding the camera{or did you have a steady rig?}. Smooth pans and tilts.

I do video as part of my job and have several years of experience.
    My advice for you is
    #1 Set your exposure manually rather than letting the camera adjust it. Several times the image brightened or darkened overall because the camera was trying to compensate for more or less light. If you have to let the camera adjust the exposure then avoid overly bright lights{like open windows}.
    #2 Use manual focus. Several times the focus shifted and even hunted in an unattractive manner. If you need to use AF then stop down the lens as much as possible to increase the DOF and that will help.
    #3 Pick a single transition for the entire piece. I saw a cross fade and a fade with luminosity. The cross fades looked much better! The exception to the rule is using one transition at the front and tail ends with a different transition for the cuts{for instance a fade in then cross dissolves for all the cuts then a fade out}.
    Good job and keep working at it.

4. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I did some color grading to match the 45 to the 75 but it was minor. Might be due to a different exposure setting.

Thanks for the great tips.

For the stabilisation, I was on a tripod. A low quality Velbon but it has a video head with some friction in it so it is usable to make some camera movement. I don't have a steadycam or a slider yet but I have the Cinemover dolly (didn't use it here). Not easy to be smooth and constant with it.

1- the thing that bugs me here is I was on M on the OM-D. I will have to check if it defaults back to A when I start the video. I saw that only after in post.
    2- My bad on this one. I was on manual focus in photo mode but didn't check and for the video, it was set to C-AF.
    3- Thanks for that. I was a bit loss on what to do here. Another guy told me to drop most transition and cut straight from one view to the other so it be more cinema like. To use only transition when there is a gap in time. I will pay attention to that more on the next one I try.

Do you have any advice for gear? Steadycam? Slider?

Thanks again :)

5. speedandstyle

I don't have an E-M5 but I just did some testing with my E-PL2 and it seems the EV compensation is automatic. So it may not be possible to turn it off on your E-M5 either. Bummer. I don't use my PENs for video work so I was unaware of this. Sorry. Best to try and avoid differing light levels or at least extremes.

You can do straight or "jump" cuts but the cross fades look good. If you were making a feature film it might look odd but for what you did it looks fine. BTW some feature films use short duration cross fades instead of jump cuts especially for romantic or dramatic scenes. It would look totally wrong for an action scene however.

I have used the whole gambit from home-made rigs to $20k dollys{wish I owned that one!}. My recommendation for a steady rig is to get a good brand but you don't need to go with an expensive model. Stay away from the cheap ebay crap however.

6. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thank you very much :)

7. speedandstyle

UPDATE!

I found if you use the "movie" mode on the dial and set it to manual in the menu that it does NOT change the exposure! It will allow the highlights to blow out and the shadows to be black. So if you want to shoot video on an Olympus camera and not have the auto exposure you have to be in movie mode{on the mode dial} with the movie mode set to manual{in the menu}. To get to the movie mode in the menu you have to have the gears on and then go to "movie"{it is letter "i" on my PENs}then set it to "M".

8. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Sweet, thank you. :)