My first time meeting Alpacas (on a farm)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
Last Sunday I had a very fun day, it was the first (successful) Camera Club trip of the summer (not counting the 7 peeps 30 minutes parking talk in the rain because nobody checked the weather for that morning. Outside of Wellington, there's a small Alpaca farm off the highway (20 minutes by car from where I live) of 51 Alpacas. The weather has cooled off and the rain the night before and early morning cleared up the air of all the dust and heat of the last week so it was quite lovely to be out there. They had 2 studs that were kept the separate area from the females, which they get plenty of company in the mornings:
W0LF8527-Edit.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One white and one brown:
W0LF8530-Edit.JPG

They had a smaller group of males in a large area, with one brown one being quite dominant over the others, always trying to "tell" the other males to mind their own business:
W0LF8538-Edit.JPG

They had quite a lot of attention that day, eager photographers to snag a portrait:
W0LF8543-Edit.JPG

W0LF8544-Edit.JPG

W0LF8546-Edit.JPG

Alpacas are very friendly creatures, curious and welcoming in their nature. Every time the males would come closer to see what all the fuss was about the alpha male would "tell them off" and they would back off with their tails up (in the sign of submission). The alpha male:
W0LF8555-Pano-Edit.JPG

In a grumpy mood when he doesn't like something (notice the curly raised tail in the background):
W0LF8552-Edit.JPG

Then we went to the largest of the groups, the females and the little ones. There are 45 females AND little Alpacas (can't remember the exact number of sexes but there were male little ones too). The youngest of them all was only 5 days old:
W0LF8565-Edit.JPG

White as a marble and cute as a button, I even got a wink as well:
W0LF8568-Edit.JPG

And like the males, the females were quite inquisitive of all the commotion ... and the attention they were receiving:
W0LF8574-Edit.JPG

My girlfriend really loves Alpacas and I knew she would love to see them, so I told her it's going to be a surprise Sunday picnic ... and she loved it:
W0LF8580-Edit.JPG

And one of the females really loves the attention, she was going from one person to another, giving hugs and asking for rubs (the same one with the picture above):
W0LF8583-Edit.JPG

There were quite a few mommies there as well, some were giving milk to the little Alpacas, this one was making sure the little one was getting enough milk and not be distracted:
W0LF8592-Edit.JPG

They had white alpacas and brown alpacas and a mix of the two:
W0LF8598-Edit.JPG

W0LF8599-Edit.JPG

W0LF8612-Edit.JPG

And there were plenty of new things to learn, like the fact that Alpacas can scratch any and every inch of their bodies:
W0LF8629-Edit.JPG

And that Alpacas are sex maniacs even at a young age ... and very loud too:
W0LF8635-Edit.JPG

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
There was a small group of little Alpacas that seem to be up for mischief, running around in circles around the mothers:
W0LF8673.JPG

They were grabbing all the attention they could get, it was play time for them:
W0LF8686-Edit.JPG

And of course that the cameras were the point at them when you have so much activity:
W0LF8723-Edit.JPG

Some of them would get a bit overly excited and start jumping as well:
W0LF8735-Edit.JPG

And they seem to not let the other ones be outjumped ... I think this one's mama had an affair with the neighbor's rabbit:
W0LF8762-Edit.JPG

But they seem quite happy and cheerful as most little ones do:
W0LF8753-Edit.JPG

The moms were not impressed but they were more preoccupied with the grass more then anything really:
W0LF8667-Edit.JPG

They had black Alpacas as well:
W0LF8721-Edit.JPG

I do have to say that while trying to make a portrait of this beautiful Alpaca:
W0LF8714-Edit.JPG

I was sitting on my knees to the eye level, I felt a wet spot on my check and as I turn towards my back I realized that I just got kissed on the cheek by an Alpaca, this beautiful female to be precise:
W0LF8706-Edit.JPG

And all the other females were laughing (or so I tell myself from their smiles):
W0LF8717-Edit.JPG

At least one of them did not seem interested in all this "mambo jumbo":
W0LF8801-Edit.JPG

After hugging one I do have to say that Alpacas are so fluffy and cute and adorable and I just want to take one home with me:
W0LF8806-Edit.JPG

And when I asked one if they want to come home with me I just get a funny look back:
W0LF8812-Edit.JPG

I waited quite a long time in the hopes of getting some interesting or at least cute behavior from the Alpacas, else the response you usually get from other people is "This picture is boring, there's nothing going on, nothing more than a snapshot":

W0LF8835-Edit.JPG

But then it happened, my patience was awarded a composition that I hoped for the whole morning and it was worth all the wait:
W0LF8849-Edit.JPG

And I made sure I covered different compositions before they got to spooked or annoyed:
W0LF8864-Edit.JPG

I couldn't cover different angle because this was the angle that I was looking for, but I tried a different vertical perspective instead:
W0LF8873-Edit.JPG

And the only time I actually got to use, or more like really needed it, The Eye of Sauron was at the end when alone stag showed up in the middle of the faraway field where even 800mm would not get more all that much magnification, so it was more of a point of exercise of using the big lens more then anything else:
W0LF8928.JPG

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
Beautiful animals.
Interesting and lovely photos,.
And yes, they are so soft.
These look recently shorn.
Did they sell any wool products?
They were shaved in May, the farmer doesn't sell wool products, they sell the wool to UK companies that make different kinds of products. They have been raising Alpacas for 15 years and their main income is from selling them locally and internationally.
The farmer said that some males can go as low as 600 £ while females are 2000 £ on average with the rarer and most expensive he sold was 7000 £.
There are no regulations in UK to owning them beyond the standard regulations for cattle so technically anyone could have one if they have the space and the income.

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
That's what crossing a giraffe and a sheep gets you 🤣

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Looks like it was a fun day!

I particularly like this image. The interplay of the diagonals of their necks really works.

Then we went to the largest of the groups, the females and the little ones. There are 45 females AND little Alpacas (can't remember the exact number of sexes but there were male little ones too). The youngest of them all was only 5 days old:
View attachment 900767
Thanks for sharing!

- K

P.S. your thread title begs the question: where else have you met alpacas previously?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
Looks like it was a fun day!

I particularly like this image. The interplay of the diagonals of their necks really works.

Thanks for sharing!

- K

P.S. your thread title begs the question: where else have you met alpacas previously?
Oddly enough the one place where you would expect: South America ... well also at the zoo ... or in a rich person's backyard (these days) :p

Thank you :)

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Oddly enough the one place where you would expect: South America ... well also at the zoo ... or in a rich person's backyard (these days) :p

Thank you :)
Good that they're only showing up in the places you'd expect. My imagination was envisioning an encounter with a gang of roughneck alpacas in a dark alley. o_O

- K

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
Good that they're only showing up in the places you'd expect. My imagination was envisioning an encounter with a gang of roughneck alpacas in a dark alley. o_O

- K
Here's the best and easiest summery of that day:
1627596758597.png

As for your imagination ... this is the best that I could do:
1627596803922.png

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom