1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first street shot.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by retroglide, May 13, 2012.

1. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    My first street shot with my GX1 and 20mm f/1.7

Have struggled to get my head around street photography due to confidence and not being the best at composition. This was my first effort with my GX1 and 20mmf/1.7
    I have never used a prime with such a short fixed focal length before and I'm getting to grips with moving myself into position instead of relying on a telephoto/zoom lens to do the work.
    Quite pleased with it.
    Thanks for looking.

7187004812_60e99c2cd2_c_d.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'd say you've really nailed the composition and for this shot that's more than enough. The four openings to the building perfectly frame the subject and make for a really nice image. Well done!

But if you want to get into any sort of study of the people themselves, you're gonna need to get closer for sure, which is where the confidence comes into play. If you have a crowded city or busy street fair, its a great place to work on that. Relatively sparsely populated towns are really tough for this because you really do stand out like a sore thumb with a camera. I know - I live in one. I either go into Philadelphia (about an hour away) or shoot at one of our town's many street festivals in the summer, which bring thousands of people from the surrounding area...

Great start - keep at it!

=Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I like it. Next assignment: take a st photo within 10' of victi- err. Subject matter :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    I like it too.......I think it's a great shot. Nicely composed and exposed.
    JohnyT

• Like Like x 1
  5. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It's turning out to be one of my fav pics I've taken.

6. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    it is excellent..... the 20mm really rocks daddy-o!

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I really like the shot; great composition. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go B&W?

8. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    The B&W seemed to bring out the distressed details in the walls of the building slightly more than colour.

Thanks you for the comment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Rally nice.

10. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Well done! My first street shots were definitely not this quality. :thumbup: