My first "Put that camera away!" experience

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jpaek, Mar 20, 2010.

1. jpaek

jpaek Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2010
    The weather has been beautiful as of late. So, despite my busy schedule, I decided to take my camera along with me to take some shots in my commute, classes, etc.

I like taking pictures of the city, so naturally, I started taking pictures on the metro subway here (the TTC). I got into an empty train car, and began taking pictures of the interior, and to my surprise, I hear a subway worker at the end of the car yelling out "hey, you can't do that!", "put it away!". Thankfully, I read up on about some of the photography laws in Toronto and remembered that the TTC and its workers has the right to stop me from taking pictures on TTC property, so I ceased.

To be quite frank, as I have experienced with many (but not all) TTC workers, I believe he was just being unpleasant and rude for its own sake. But, I now appreciate how inconspicuous the E-P1 is. I hesitated to buy the E-P1 as my first camera because I felt like I was not getting the 'full' photography experience (bulky, black, using a viewfinder). But its subtlety may be a benefit in the future since I plan on taking this camera with me to many places.

Anyways, here are some of the products of this experience. (you can see the TTC worker at the back of the 1st image :rofl:)

• Like Like x 2
  2. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    like the bus shoot, so real life, keep them coming:)
  3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    This has been all over our news recently so .. I figured I should send you some rebellious links. As far as anyone can tell, they can't ask you to stop unless you're causing a dangerous situation (or using it for comercial purposes), at which point, turn the camera to movie mode with audio (no need to point it in their face, the audio will do), and ask him how you're causing a danger in an empty subway car (then send their response to the local news stations).

"Both TTC staffers persisted in claiming that photography on the TTC is illegal (it isn’t, and there is a specific section both in the bylaw and on the TTC website on this subject)."

"Tourists, families and individuals filming or photographing within the public areas of the transit system for non-commercial purposes, are not expected to contact the TTC to obtain permission or a permit so long as such filming/photographing does not interfere with the safe and orderly operation of the transit system and/or our customers."
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Your the best. We need members to post like this from where they live and operate...
    Thanks so much....
  5. jpaek

jpaek Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2010
    I'm well aware of TTC Bylaw 16b restrictions on commercial uses only. However my source told me that if I am asked by a TTC employee to stop and I don't, it is considered trespassing.
  6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    What a sad world we live in, what are these people afraid of? :confused:
  7. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    It was a spat that happened in Toronto Canada, people took phone-camera photos of public sector workers doing things that would ... probably be a fire-able offence in private sector jobs. Like falling dead asleep in a bus ticket booth - out cold, or stopping a bus at a doughnut store for 10 minutes for a break - with passengers still on the bus. etc...
  8. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Be careful guys and gals...sorry to hear so much riff against taking photos. And thanks JP, great shots...keep em coming if you can.....

be safe,

9. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Unfortunately law is not black and white some of us like to believe. It is sad but true. Thank you for 911 :mad::mad:
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The Paranoia is spreading - we have had many issues in the UK where people have been stopped/searched and questioned at length and even been asked to delete images they have taken of City sights (London Eye, Houses of Parliament etc) under the umbrella of "Terrorism".
    Many of those stopped have been toursists!
    It has become so bad in the UK that protests have been held and even MP's have been involved and the Police have made statements but no changes.
    I spent many of my former years fighting terrorism directly so am very aware of the threat but our controlling authorities are now well outside the boundaries of logical prevention / protection.
    Sorry about the ramble but we are so scared in the UK that even parents have to ask permission to take photos of their own children (and no others) at school sports days etc and in some cases are refused!........What next?