1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My first printing experience

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ijm5012, Jun 10, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So I finally ordered my first print of one of my images I've taken since getting my m43. The print (at the bottom of the post), is from an image that I took in Shanghai when I was there for work last fall. It was taken with my Panasonic G6, Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8, and Ultrapod II mini tripod. This is the image.

15250388721_08a9beb9ce_h.

I ordered a 30" x 20" canvas print from CG Pro Prints with the black frame, and my total came to $99 delivered. It arrived roughly 5 business days later (from Colorado to western Pennsylvania), and I couldn't be happier. I also included some "detail" shots from the print to show the detail in the print, but you always hear about how "16MP isn't enough, we need more MP". Well, this was a 3:2 crop from the G6's sensor (not the newest sensor in m43), that I enlarged to 6000 x 4000 in PSE 12 so that it was printed at 200 ppi. I've heard it from many people, but it really is true that for 99% of the people out there, they are the weakest link in their system, not the camera. Learn how to use it, learn how to compose and expose better, and and your images will get better. I think that the print came out great, and the build quality of the frame is excellent. I can't wait to get it up on the wall this weekend.

18503432810_f4f6a635e3_h.

18503427680_8a981ecbe1_h.

18070455683_87763a5e5b_h.

• Like Like x 7
  2. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Nice print. What file type was the image that was printed?

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I think printing is the most rewarding part of photography, looking at pictures on a screen never compares to the experience of holding them in your hands or looking at them on a wall. Even a lowly 4x6 is a different experience to looking at the same image on a phone/tablet of the same size.

It looks like a good result :)

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Glad you're happy with the result. Looking at that image I can't help but think that with the dark blacks, bright highlights and vibrant colors that it would be a great candidate for an aluminum print.

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I've also had a 20x30 canvas print done and mounted on my living room wall, plus 2 15x20 prints from 12MP images. There is zero pixilation and the images are quite sharp when viewed up close. It's not the number of pixels per se, it's the in-camera image processing and care in printing that makes the difference. All my canvas prints are done from TIF files, either conversions from RAW in OV3 or converted from the original JPG if it's from an older P&S camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Now that you have this you should compare screen vs print and see what screen %age looks the same as the print on close inspection. Myself I find that 50% on my screen shows pretty close to what I see on similar size prints

Nice shot too BTW :)

7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Nice. I agree 16mp is enough. In fact I hung my first show recently with prints up to 30x20 inches and one of those was from a 6mp crop enlarged in Photoshop but still looked amazing.

8. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It was a JPG that was created from the RAW file, in LR5

9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, taking the pictures and sharing them on here, Flickr, Facebook, etc. is one thing, but it's so much nicer being able to display images that YOU took to help decorate your house or apartment.

This definitely won't be the last print that I do through CG Pro Prints.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Beautiful.
    I like the ones on canvas with the wrap-around edges too.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This looks great!

I have never done canvas as I'm always scared the wrap around is going to kill the composition or a key part of the image. I normally do large semi gloss prints with a texture applied and mounted to mat board. Then you can mount them In a frame with no glass. Similar to canvas, the texture hides any lack of dpi.

M43 shots are all so crisp at the pixel level that I think we worry way too much about DPI, though. DPI is only half the story, just like megapixels. A 16MP shot from a small compact and a 16MP shot from a m4/3 camera and a sharp prime lens would have the same DPI and resolution at a given print size. But obviously the m4/3 shot would looks sharper.

12. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    For this, I had a black border applied around the edges. Since the sides are housed within the frame, it didn't really matter.

@tkbslc@tkbslc, yeah the sharpness of the image matters more than the resolution. Like you said, fortunately there are a number of sharp lenses for the system which really makes a huge difference when it comes to printing larger images. That's why I love this system so much, the combination of great glass with very capable cameras that are quite small.

13. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful city skyline print! It is always good to see those digital images in a printed format!
    GR

14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You should be able to get either a mirror of the edge (like flipping what's on the last 2" of the front to the sides) Mirrored Canvas Wrap. Streaked Canvas Wrap.
    or streaking (continuing the edge of the image on the front) as an option.