1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My First Pictures - criticise me, please!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Gyles, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Hi guys, woke up this morning to a dull and dreary British March morning. I thought I'd set myself the task of finding some colour.

I've only just got my used GF1 so armed with only the 20mm f1.7 in went for a wander around my home town.

Shot in jpeg with only the odd tweak.....what do you think. Please be as harsh as you like....I'm in at the deep end. I need to learn by my mistakes.

6978971331_9c589de47b_m.
    6978968493_4a59be6b99_m.
    6978977745_1018ef1852_m.
    6832847364_7aed025111_m.
    6978982725_4669f55a0b_m.
    6832855492_2e93940198_m.
    6832858888_ea1c733792_m.
    6978988501_caf500437f_m.

Flickr: Groovii D's Photostream view them here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    First criticism: Pictures are too small. :wink:

It seems you have a good eye for composition. I like how the color red is a recurring theme. Some of the shots might need some straightening, but overall good job.

3. hypnomatt

hypnomatt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    6979007107_b259858a40_m.

6832879258_6e4cc40d66_m.

6979002599_e610e1d7ff_m.

6979000677_3f91d84445_m.

6832870674_c155c8fc59_m.

6832864542_3815be1518_m.

Yeah, I need to start using editing software a lot more...just getting used to the camera.

Not sure how to load larger images...yet. So much to learn...thanks for the input.

5. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Hi Gyles
    I'm no expert so these are purely my point of view.
    Presentation is the first key......and as already mentioned.....way too small. Use Flickr or something like that to host from and a medium size should do it. Don't forget to number the pictures on this site as it's easier to refer back to that particular picture.
    I actually quite like the first one in the first set...good composition and unusual. Lovely shade of red too.
    I'm not too keen, personally, on photographing flowers but of the two I prefer the Daffodils contrasted against the stairs behind. Might look better with the background more out of focus.
    Great shot of the red car at the top of the alleyway. I prefer the longer view one. i actually saw a shot very similar to this in my home town but with a yellow Beetle against a darkish background. Would have took the shot except for the fact it was next to a pub with a load of p"""heads stood outside. Couldn't be bothered with the banter that might come my way. Will take the shot some other time.
    The red door.......on this one I prefer the close-up one, although It needs straightening and maybe cropped differently. Maybe showing the top of the round arch. The red curtains and the window could be a possibility of a shot also!
    I like the use of the idea of reds on a dull day and the post box brings that out. I think maybe there is a shot there but without seeing either side of it I don't know.
    On to the second set.
    I see the idea of the first shot although not too keen on the Eurobin......I would move it and use the red pipes and boarded-up windows. Nice shot though.
    The blue doesn't seem to 'pop' in the second shot although I bet it did in real life.
    Of the 3 flower shots this is my fave.....nice to use the buildings behind to give it some character.
    Nice 'eye' for shot #4 ..love the cropping and contrasting colours!
    Sorry....but not keen on the next one although I see what you were after......the vivid bright yellow.
    Nice use of the yellow colour in the next shot. The top overblown highlights I would have maybe cropped out, but, again, nice composition.
    Congrats. on going out and taking photos of ordinary things and making them into a photograph. Hope this helps and please don't take everything I say as gospel. This is all MY personal opinion but I'm no expert.
    JohnyT

Edit. On looking again at the red door one , I think the full door and steps with that lovely iron handrail to the right would have been a superb shot!

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd say you succeeded!

On the whole, very well-chosen compositions.

2 minor quibbles:
    -the reds seem a bit overdone - I would back off on the saturation if possible.
    -vertical lines are sometimes 'almost' parallel - I'd say either keep them straight (parallel) or let them really converge. As is, they can be distracting.

Good work!

DH

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    "woke up this morning to a dull and dreary British March morning. I thought I'd set myself the task of finding some colour."

Good choice. Colours can really pop on a cloudy day, especially when you limit the colours to only one or two strong ones as you've done.

Same goes for putting strong subject colours against a dull, low saturation background when you can find one.

8. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Agreed, images too small. Exposures look good. Keep photographing and looking at images and see what you like and try to see why it works for you.