My first photoshoot with the Einstein monolight. Feedback please!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    So I did a glamour photoshoot on Saturday with my Olympus E-PL2 with my Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 legacy lens. This is also the first time I'm shooting with my new Einstein 640WS monolight with a 64" silver PLM (Parabolic Light Modifier) with front diffusion sock. I just loved, loved, loved the quality of the light I'm getting!

And now I'm starting to do some postproduction. Here are the first two photos I completed. Can you guys give me some feedback on them?? Thanks!!

The model is Lorena Lopez and she's on Model Mayhem

5874145994_3ef6de7cc0_z.

5876590084_9364a57d8b_z.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    *cough*
    That's not Einstein!

Oh.

Feedback : colours look really great. I like the direct highlights and tonal falloff, good here on shoulder and Number 2 thighs.
    There's a nice crispness too.

3. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    give us more

The only advice I have is: "GIVE US MORE PLEASE" :biggrin:
    Great model, great pictures, we just all want more, and I have no wife, so I can shout it out loud :rofl:

4. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The light is really nice. Especially the first one. Was it closer than the second?

5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks! I I think the 1st light was about to 4 feet away and the 2nd was 5 -6 feet away. The 2nd was underexposed originally because the fill light coming from camera light didn't recycle in time. I just love the photo to worry about it though

6. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Really nice work!

7. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    very nice jamba :) btw i've hit a money crunch and may be selling my two Einstein heads, wireless trigger and receivers, vagabond mini, two plms, stands and sand bags. If interested send me a msg!

8. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    In your first pic I like the way the hair over the eye balances the hand and leaves a little to the imagination. Normally I'd be wary of such a strong diagonal down to the bottom right corner, but the darkening of the model's top towards the corner and- ahem!- the tendency for the eye to move to the bottom middle of the pic avoids the danger of the gaze sliding down the arm and out of the pic, I think.

In your second pic I like the way the model's pose directs the eyes to many parts of the picture frame, and the stickers give a lot of interest to the background. The only thing that concerns me is the big circular sticker right beside the model's head- although of course nothing will outcompete the beauty and expression of the model's face for attention, I think the immediate juxtaposition of the oval head with a roughly equal-sized circle does detract a bit from the punchiness of the image, and that the sign could therefore do with toning down a bit. On your first pic, the background of horizontal, eye-level lines really aid the success of the image though, I think.

Very appealing photos!

9. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010

Thanks!! You know about the 2nd photo, a lot of the "suggestive" stickers work w/ the model, from SEX to the oval sticker's "You always want more" & "BURNED".

I saw the eye-level to the line and yea, that does look great =D

10. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Another photo done. Let me know what you think.

This is Siray Kong (Model Mayhem)

5879968807_bf0546145f_b.

• Like Like x 2
  11. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    You're welcome! I agree the subjects of the stickers work well with the message, it's just the size, shape and position of that particular 'burned' one that jars a little with me. Everything else about the picture seems set up to make the viewer think of One Thing Only, but the strength of that juxtaposition also makes me also think a little about geometry. Maybe that says more about me though?:rofl:

Your third pic is artfully composed, particularly in the way the background boulder acts as a 'stopper' to the pointing of the elbow and knee. Good work!

12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Wow! You catch on details that I wasn't even conscious of, lol!

13. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England

Hi Jambaj0e,

Let me see if I got this correctly.... you shot this with a $50.00 Hexanon 40mm / f1.8? Not f1.2 or f .95.... Right? I hope others take note.... it ain't the arrow, it's the archer.....

If it was a nice to decent lens in its heyday, and it's been nicely kept, it's probably just as nice today... slow, manual.... but nice.

Wonderful post.... really nice job be it a first, third or tenth effort with your lighting setup... great comments and suggestions too.

-Alan

• Like Like x 1
  14. I love the first portrait. There are nothing wrong with the two other shots. Great lighting. Classic Maxime type shots. Congradulations. We want to see more. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I have about the 500 shots. Quite a handful of bad focus due to not being able to auto focus with a legacy lens or use my EV-F2 since I'm using wireless flash trigger.

I'm hoping for a dozen photos that will look great technically and creatively :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Got another photo done last night! This is the beautiful and elegant Olivia Price.

5883494823_950dd36917_b.

• Like Like x 2
  17. She is a beauty. Her heavy foundation on the skin is another story. Maybe you can edit that part.

PS: I hope you don't mind me pointing out few details.

18. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Hmm... I was using a more subtle setting on skin smoothing adjustment brush. I I could probably make it stronger.

Thanks for the feedback though! That's exactly what I need!

19. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Another day, another beautiful woman gazing sultrily in your presence... Life must be good, jambaj0e!:biggrin:

I really like the way you've lit the face of your latest model; for me there's not enough going on in the right side of the picture though. She's both on the left of the pic and gazing leftwards, which makes me want to follow her sightline; the lack of any important object or directional movement to the model's right makes the picture a bit unbalanced, I think.

Cropping, or maybe superimposing her name (or something) on the empty space would largely sort out the imbalance, but then a bit of instability might be what you're after, creatively!

20. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Well said about the quality of the Hexanon 40mm. Most challenging aspect is the manual focus when stopped down beyond f4 and using the LCD, even on the e-pl2. When you zoom in with the focus assist, the picture is really grainy, making it hard to accurately focus.

• Like Like x 1