1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first Photo-Shoot

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by UkrainianOne, Sep 2, 2011.

1. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    So today on the way back from college i get an urgent phone call from my friend, he asks if im available to take some shots of him and his band, eager to test my skills on live subjects ( even though i dislike shooting people ) i agreed. I bought my G1 out for the first time outside the castle walls, it was nerve racking at first, but then got used to the fact.

Ive always been scared to break it by dropping it or god forbid i scratched the thing

So I started off with my Pentacon 2.8 55mm, it was ok untill the sun started to hit the horizon, then i switched to my Industar 3.5 50mm and it came out fuzzy, or as you guys like to call it on here "soft", so i switched back to my Soligor 28mm w/petal hood, and i have to say its a pretty hard lens to focus on live subjects and to get sharpness out of it is like asking to win the lotto...

That being said if my pentacon blade ring thing wasnt broken, i think it would have been the best lens to use for outdoor concerts, other than that i couldnt use my manual focus lenses to achieve sharpness at certain times as ill show in the pictures below.

Any Tips Would be Appreciated :redface:

Industar 50 3.5

Pentacon 50 2,8
    1231w77.

Soligor 28 f?
    2uhwlz8.

2. A few general tips would be:

1. Watch your backgrounds. I suspect the best position would be to stand slightly further to the left from where you shot #2 to get a neutral background without the traffic on the road.

2. Work on your manual focusing technique. #2 seems a fair bit out. #1 and #3 look like maybe the focus point should come fowards a little bit.

3. Know your lenses. The Industar seems to lack contrast more so than being overly soft. It's hard to judge the Pentacon assuming the shot was out of focus. Are you saying that the aperture blades on the Pentacon are stuck wide-open?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I agree with Nic's pointers. The first photo looks particularly flat, almost as if there's a haze.

What I also like, and this is preference, is a low to high angle. Generally, musicians perform on stages, and the photographers are on a lower level. So you get that low to high angle naturally. With a distracting background, the low to high angle might also help in decreasing amount of background clutter as you'd get more sky and less cars and trees.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Did they specifically want wide shots with all the members? I would have liked to see more close-ups of individuals.

• Like Like x 1
  5. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Yea its stuck wide open for life, its a great lens over-all though in my opinion, im thinking about to take it to the camera shop and getting it fixed, paid a little over 20 bucks for the lens itself so maybe i should look into it

6. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York

Soligor 28mm auto wide f4.0 at sunset NOTE: Soligor flash was also used in this photo

xgcx90.

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I would ask the band to delibarately pose or shape themselves a bit more at least some of the time, it doesn't have to look staged or showy. These guys need some stagecraft (and something more flattering to the figure perhaps).
    Should have cleared the front bollard.
    I would be getting in close crouching and lying on the ground (although I guess you don't want up the shorts shots), round the sides and trying every angle I could get into. If there is an audience you don't have to do that for long and an audience would not think it odd for a photographer to be getting in there.
    Try looking at some pro shots of bands/band members performing and see what those do.

These shots would be good for the band to see, so they know how they appear to an audience.

• Like Like x 1
  9. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    I dont have these kind of skills yet sprinke, working on it though, my worst enemy was deff the sun setting, thats why i had to take most of the shots from the right angle

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey mate i hope you don't mind but when i saw this picture i new exactly what you needed because I have discovered what works best if i get at hazy look on my images.

I grabbed you picture and put it in Aperture and I moved the black point slider. I've found that black point works wonders (or 'blacks' in LR) and it is similar to contrast but it transforms you image much better than contrast.

Next I adjusted the 'highlights' slider and brought it back a bit. Just helps a little with the blown out sky.

Added a little noise reduction to the bottom LH corner

Added a little sharpening to the top of the guy and his guitar.

I'm not a guru but I've found black point is a great start to processing images. It's a bit hard to work this image because of the small file size but if you shot these in RAW you should be able to make them look ok (can't really fix the out of focus ones though :smile:)

I hope this helps a little.

icon

Before
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6107330042/" title="xgcx90-1 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"480" height="640" alt="xgcx90-1"></a>

After
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6107323458/" title="xgcx90 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"480" height="640" alt="xgcx90"></a>

• Like Like x 4
  11. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I'd go for the radical approach here.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    WoW! I really like that!:thumbup:

13. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    do you have the link to this software, becuase I never done anything to photographs as far as editing, i would just delete them if they were not up to my standards, but seeing as I have a long way to go as a photographer, i think i will be needing this "post-processing" software i hear about so often. :eek:

14. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    I think i may have figured out why my pictures were coming up hazy that day, i was playing around with my pentacon 50mm today and noticed that my ISO setting wasnt on AUTO but on the next setting to the right = FAIL! lol

15. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah mate here's some info about Lightroom and Aperture. Aperture will only work if you have a mac though.

Lightroom

Aperture

Many on the forum will vouch for these 2 photo editing apps. They are both great.

• Like Like x 1
  16. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    :eek: talk about expensive, deffinatly going on my Xmas wishlist though lol, thank you very much