My first paid photography job. I would love some feedback from the mu-43 community.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by bfenner, Sep 5, 2012.

1. bfenner

bfenner Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    This was a community event in New London, Connecticut. The goal was to provide kids in need with a backpack full of school supplies. It was a great experience.
    Book Bag Drive - a set on Flickr
  2. JenPhoto

JenPhoto New to Mu-43

Sep 3, 2012
    Lots of very cute pictures. Just got my OM-D so I'm thinking about lenses. Did you just use primes or were some of them from a zoom?

• Like Like x 1
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    I think that, for the assignment at hand, you managed to capture the feel of the event in a great way. Kinda "feeling like I was there" sort of way. I esp. liked the portraits and the fact that you worked various shooting angles.

All in all, the only thing I'd feel missing is even more WA shots to somewhat balance the close-ups even more, and, perhaps, a few more "abstract" shots of random objects. But I don't know if this is the whole set, and it's nitpicking really. All in all, great job! :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Wow, very nice! And that's with the "ancient" GF1! :smile: Shows that you don't need the latest camera to make great photos. :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I grew up in Preston not too far up the river from New London.

Nice to see the Coasties turn out for your event.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I know it's a little late for this advice, but if you are going to work professionally, I strongly suggest that you get indemnity insurance. If you back over a kid....

Very nice pictures.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Great job well done! I happen to have the two bodies you are using. GF1 is good.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Nice work! Love the way you really got "into" the action on many of the shots! A lot of great candid shots of the kids, too!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good job. Event photography can be tricky. The more candid the shot the better{or perhaps more real} they tend to be. People posing is useful for some things but to really get the feel from an event - candids work best. Most of your shots are just that and thus I get the feel of the event from your pictures.

What lens{es} did you use?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bfenner

bfenner Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    I was using the OM-D and GF1 bodies with the Oly 12mm and 45mm primes. It's kind of funny, I ended up selecting more photos for the album that came out of the GF1 than the OM-D. I'm not sure if it's coincidence, or if it's because I've been using the GF1 for so long that I'm that much more used to it and comfortable, leading to good shots. The album is still a work in progress and hasn't been presented yet to the client (setting up a zenfolio account). I think I will add a few more WA and "object" shots to balance out the album. Major Magee: I grew up in Lisbon. My sister currently lives in Preston. Nice little rural corner of CT. Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. This is all pretty new to me so I am trying to learn as much as I can from folks like you!