My first outdoor portrait session

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
HSS was out of the question because my tiny TT350o didn't have (anywhere near) enough power.

Did you try it withOUT the modifier? When shooting out in full sun like that, you can often use the flash bare since it is there to bring the face out of shadow but will not be powerful enough to overcome the sun and create other shadows you don't want.

And I chose the tripod over a flash stand because it had a handle for carrying and a hook beneath for adding extra weight to make it not fall over (lesson learned btw).

Ya I was going to mention that. But also females models almost always have a purse with them. Even with the light stand, you can hang their purse off the bottom knob of the stand to help weigh it down. It is always nice when the model brings the light stand weight for you. :2thumbs: And if it has been raining or recently wet, she will appreciate you storing her bag off the ground. Win win!

I personally would start with just using reflectors before even going into a speed light of any kind. That will allow you to use the full range of shutter speeds.

Which works great if you have a helper to hold and manipulate the reflectors. When shooting all alone the flash on a stand is often easier to work solo. For working alone I vote for some ND filters and the flash setup.

D

Deleted member 20897

Did you try it withOUT the modifier? When shooting out in full sun like that, you can often use the flash bare since it is there to bring the face out of shadow but will not be powerful enough to overcome the sun and create other shadows you don't want.

Ya I was going to mention that. But also females models almost always have a purse with them. Even with the light stand, you can hang their purse off the bottom knob of the stand to help weigh it down. It is always nice when the model brings the light stand weight for you. :2thumbs: And if it has been raining or recently wet, she will appreciate you storing her bag off the ground. Win win!

Which works great if you have a helper to hold and manipulate the reflectors. When shooting all alone the flash on a stand is often easier to work solo. For working alone I vote for some ND filters and the flash setup.

They make reflector adapters for light stands that work awesome and are very inexpensive.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
They make reflector adapters for light stands that work awesome and are very inexpensive.

Yes, but reflectors are often even worse outdoor with a tiny bit of a breeze than many flash light modifiers.

The issue I see with a reflector holder is you still have to fiddle with it to get the light bounced correctly which sounds trivial but when you can not control the direction and angle of the sun it can be very difficult. Where as with a flash, you do control the direction and the angle and usually don't have to do much more than point it at your model. Also with the flash you have the ability to turn the intensity up/down more easily.

I am not against reflectors, just thinking "out loud" about what it is like when you are a photographer working solo especially when moving from location to location where you want to not spend a ton of time re-adjusting every time you move.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
No I didn't. I didn't think that would make a difference since I had tried the HSS before without modifiers and it wasn't enough then and thought it wouldn't be enough now either. Fortunately I have the more powerful TT685o now to overcome this issue. I'll be ordering some ND filters too in a few days.

Such a great tip! Thanks! :biggrin:

Yep. ND filters on my shopping list now. :)

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Oh, almost forgot... I did some retouching to this one:

42406719750_9172f8196d_h-jpg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Sofia - 2018/08 - EM564822-2 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

Now the skin tones have been processed separately and did some additional fine tuning as well. You can't compare it to the older version though since I replaced the old picture with the new one.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For easy to carry weights, I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Photography-Sandbag-Saddlebag-Tripods/dp/B00MHNKJZY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536656979&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=light+stand+weight+bags&dpPl=1&dpID=51yPqp0KNnL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I take a couple of plastic milk bottles with me and fill them up with water when on location as counterweights to go in the bag. When I want to move, I empty the bottles and it becomes lightweight again.

Not to poo poo your bag purchase but :flowers_2:, couldn't you just tie a piece of string around the handle of each milk bottle in a loop and hang from your stand that way? Unless of curse they don't have handles, in which case some basic shopping bags (plastic or canvas ones many of us tend to accumulate over time) would do the trick.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom