1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first newbie camera shots!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by GeBathan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    Hope i can get some insights from you guys. Comments are highly appreciated.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/11001884@N07/8502037614/" title="_10001 by Gerardbathan, on Flickr">"500" height="376" alt="_10001"></a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/11001884@N07/8500940179/" title="_10002 by Gerardbathan, on Flickr">"500" height="376" alt="_10002"></a>

• Like Like x 6
  2. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Nice start. What are you using for post processing?

When you make a post of Flickr photos, you can click "Share" above the photo, then "Grab the HTML/BBCode."

Copy and paste that code into your post (the whole thing from <a to /a>) and your photos will appear on the forum page. More people are likely to see them since they won't have to leave the page and go to Flickr.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GeBathan

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    I use the picasa 3 app. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Silken app that came with the kit. I also have Lightroom 4 but also still complicated for me lol. I just want to shoot and don't do any PP. Is that possible?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like the first one better. I like the processing on both, but the first one is more interesting. That lone clip against the sky. Leaves, IMO, are pretty cliched (and I've shot WAY too many of them!)

You added the vignetting? (Or is this a CCTV lens)

• Like Like x 1
  5. GeBathan

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    Yes i added vignetting,but sometimes i don't know when is too much lol.I haven't been out in public with my camera yet that's why first few shots are from the backyard. Hopefully this Sunday's meet in Getty Center will teach me new stuff! Taken with my G3 using a 14mm f2.5.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like them both, btw. Good first shots. Was just trying to be encouraging towards which one was more interesting.

Enjoy shooting tomorrow!

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i love me some vignette... but i think you MAY have overdone it,... hehehe
    feel free to search for my photos and im CERTAIN you can throw those words RIGHT IN MY FACE! haha :D

i LOVE the colors youve got going on in #2, just a tad dark for my taste, but me likey!

also, it might help to put a few blank lines between photos

8. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    Hey GeBathan,

were you referring to the LA SoCal meetup? Is that really tomorrow or March 3? might want to check with Jonathan F/2 or one of the other guys on that thread. i thought it was March 3 myself

----------

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How "new" are you? If these are the first two pictures you ever shot then they are fantastic! I sense you have been shooting for a little while and have read a book or two on the subject. They are very artistic. Both are well composed with a foreground subject and nice bokeh background.

Obviously you know and are using the rule of thirds, perhaps a little too much. They are more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules! The clothesline almost follows the third line exact.

The other thing that I noticed in the first one was the subject is a little too dark. If the clothespin had been red or yellow this dark mood would work but because it is blue it gets lost in the sky background{which is awesome BTW}. The leaves in the second image do not have this issue because the red pops out from the green and gray background.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GeBathan

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    Its March 3rd lol

11. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Anything's possible :D I think you should go for it, shoot away and don't worry about post-processing if you don't want to! You'll learn to get more about using your camera if you're trying to achieve your vision without Lightroom or Photoshop, and nothing will stop you from adding on post-processing steps to your workflow later on if you get interested. Do whatever you enjoy the most.

As for the images, excellent composition—I agree with Bokeaji that they're a little dark, though, they might be even stronger with the additional range and contrast from slightly more exposure. The leaves in the second image might stand out better against a slightly less busy background, too, the shapes there are superb but they're a little visually lost against the background.

All in all, awesome start and good luck!

• Like Like x 1