My first native prime has arrived !!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Minniesmum, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    And it's TINY ! Petite... the Pana 14mm f2.5. Off out for a spin with it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Congrats Cath....U will love it
    Cheers
    bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Congratulations! Enjoy!

It is worth getting a lens hood (if you don't already have one) because, as with any wide angle lens, the 14mm will suffer from loss of contrast and flare if not shooting away from the sun. The filter size is 46mm which is quite large for such a tiny lens, and this enables you to use a lens hood designed for longer focal lengths without suffering from vignetting.

Here is one that should work well. It is also ridiculously cheap:
    46mm Metal Lens Hood For Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 14mm 2.5 | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Pics pics pics!

- Eliot

• Like Like x 1
  5. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
  6. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I like the 'look' of the vented hoods though - I got one of these and it only took just over a week to arrive from China:
    46mm Metal Tilted Vented Lens Hood shade for Leica M LM black | eBay

Another cheap other option is to use a 46mm-37mm step-down ring with a 37mm lens cap, for a very small hood to keep the size of the lens + hood compact, as shown here:
    Micro 4/3rds Photography: Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2.5

(A step-down ring and lens cap only cost about £1 each (fleabay) so total cost of £2).

• Like Like x 1
  7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

That hood would be a poor choice for his lens. A short hood for the 46mm filter thread will not give sufficient shading for the 14mm lens. You need something that comes closer to the angle of view.

The vented hood I suggested gives exactly the right amount of shading. It also does not retain dust. I shoot a lot in dusty conditions and a vented hood is ideal.

I think it also looks nice, enhancing the 'traditional rangefinder look' of the camera and lens. But I understand that people's tastes differ. :wink:

8. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    got this hood for my panny 14mm.... ebay special... I think it cost me like $8 USD

here's a closer look at the hood....

9. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I've both hoods and believe me vented one does retain dust mostly during storage. The only way to avoid it is placing lens cap inside the hood which is extremely difficult and awkward operation for me. When talking about protection and shading then in case of wide angle lens I mostly need mechanical protection and cover some indirect reflections, because there is always sun in or near the picture. Fortunately I am finding this little lens quite good against sun so I prefer compact and slim look giving me right amount of protection and shading.

P1030731.

P1030732.

P1030737.

10. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Thanks all ! Just back home, it's dark now and I need a glass of wine to calm down my excitement Lol. LOVE it !

I shot a lot of stuff at 2.5 in A priority to test it.Need to work out whether it's best to leave the camera set at single point AF or a broader range with it being wider angle and a prime....more test shots tomorrow.

So far love the compactness which was my main reason for buying.
    Sorry guys but it's my most " girlie" lens so far !

Will put some pics on my Flickr acct tomorrow evening.

Cath

• Like Like x 1
  11. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    have to say the " rattlesnake " effect drove me nuts at first as thought the lens was faulty but now I know it's quite common...

12. Bhupinder2002

Hi Cath
    Yes this lens is like an ultra miniskirt.. beautiful and sexy .. my Red EPL2 with PL25 mm 1.4 looks like Lady Gaga..hahhahah

DSC01223.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Bhupinder you are just a tart ;) lol

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm a fan. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Cath
    Now as far as my knowledge goes , word 'tart' is used a slang in UK for different things .So please clarify which tart I am ? :rofl::rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

17. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Heheh Bhupinder ! If you were a musician I'd say a " jam" tart as I call one of my male guitarist friends on our Monday evening jam nights....will have to think of an appropriate genre of tart to suit your photographic interests and medical profession ;) lol

18. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Then you really should be more careful about how you store your equipment. Have a nice day.

19. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Must admit I have never quite thought of mine that way before. :smile: Do you have a most macho lens too? :biggrin:

It's quite a good little lens, I must get out and use it more often. Have been having fun experimenting with cheap manual focus legacy lenses recently though - must try and resist looking for more Minoltas on ebay.

DSC03213.JPG

• Like Like x 1