1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first Mu-43 camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dusky, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Dusky

Dusky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Toronto
    Mark
    Wohoo... after months of laboring on which one to get (a7, xt1 and em1), I finally settled with the em10. I am really loving how it feels and it is so light. Though, I know that there will be a steep learning curve with this camera as I am already stump with the menu system. Anyway, I hope to contribute to the community soon... first order of business is to charge my battery and order me some primes and wasabi's :)

13905029596_61a078d077_c. EM10 vs 5d Mkiii by , on Flickr

13905269592_e6c0efcf2a_z. Olympus EM10 by , on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  2. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Ey, congrats on your decision:) enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Congrats! Very sexy gordy's strap you have there too :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Congrats.

I am eyeing an EM10 myself, when it drops or show up on Olympus refurb.

Btw, I love primes and wasabi :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome, Dusky! I can tell you have good taste. That Sigma 35 is a sweet lens!

6. Dusky

Dusky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Toronto
    Mark
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Yes Amin, I am loving the siggy35... my next purchase will be the 60mm art 2.8 for the em10 :)

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Congratulations! :2thumbs::thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2014
    Emerald Isle, NC.
    Mark
    Grats mate..

Enjoying mine so far...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I'd think twice about Wasabi's. I had one swell up in a Pen E-P3, took hours to get out without damaging the camera. The other one out of that pair totally failed on the 4th charge cycle. Died and would not power up the camera nor would it take a charge.

I also had a pair of them for my GH2. They didn't cause a problem but they never gave me even half the run time of the Genuine Lumix battery,

• Like Like x 3
  10. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    My experience has been different. I purchased a 3rd party battery and charger and returned it then bought a 2-battery and cordless charger of Wasabi brand and have had absolutely no problems with them. My OM-D E-M10 does eat through batteries, but I haven't notice the Wasabis discharging any faster than the stock battery that came with the E-M10. (http://www.infotor.com/blog/beware-the-generic-battery-charger/)

• Like Like x 2
  11. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Congratulations, Dusky! A great little camera. Really small compared to my Canon 60D, so tiny next to your 5D! Menus on Olympus cameras can be daunting, but the customization possibilities are absolutely awesome! Nothing like it on Canons, in my experience. Did a post that you might find helpful. Has links to some great menu demystification articles, too: http://www.infotor.com/blog/olympus...reassignment-give-you-your-own-auto-settings/.

12. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Do the latest Wasabis show the battery charge level? I was under the impression that Progo batteries would be a better choice, since they are similarly cheap and the show battery level remaining. Oh, and also they charge in the stock Olympus charger.

• Like Like x 1
  13. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    No, mrjr, my Wasabis don't show battery levels except via camera. Have never heard of Progo brand.

14. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and have been researching the same models that you eliminated. I'm wondering why you chose the 10 instead of the 1?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dusky

Dusky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Toronto
    Mark
    Thanks Billbooz.... I think it's just a matter of spending some time to familiarize with the menu... I am getting a hang of it now, barely a day since I got it. I think it was just a new look (configuration) for me that gave me the impression that it is complicated. I'll check your articles.

16. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Please do, as the beauty of Olympus cameras is the extent to which you can customize them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dusky

Dusky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Toronto
    Mark
    I got the em10 over 1 for the following reason:

1. Image quality is roughly the same.
    2. I wanted something that is small and light... the em1 is a bit bigger (not by alot..) but I want it to fit in my wife's bag.
    3. I don't need weather sealing... plus I am planning to pair it with primes which I believe are not weather sealed.
    4. It is a lot cheaper.

Against Xt1 and Sony A7
    1. More mature ecosystem... lots of affordable primes vs fuji/A7.
    2. Faster AF
    3. IQ and DoF on Fuji and A7 is much better... I already pixel peepd abit...but I have my 5d mkiii anyways.
    4. the Lenses of fuji/ a7 are massive compared to the olympus.

All in, I wanted a camera that is inconspicuous, takes quality images (subjective), and that will not break the bank.

Mabuhay,

Mark

18. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I had settled on the E-M1 but I think I need to reconsider the E-M10. It's hard to decide because I don't live anywhere near a shop where I can handle the bodies or lenses so I have to rely on reviews, opinions and photos.

Gingergirl

19. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    There's always going to be a bad user experience with any product. Mine with Wasabis have been very good. I've used them for the E-M5, E-M1, Ricoh GR, Panasonic GX7, and the X-T1 without any issues. The only reason I went with an zoom Panasonic battery for the GH4 is because it has such a long battery life to begin with that I don't see needing more than 1 spare.

20. Dusky

Dusky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Toronto
    Mark
    • Like Like x 2