My First m4/3 Wedding

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by RonSmith, Apr 19, 2010.

1. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    I've never shot a wedding professionally (which should be obvious as you scroll down), but I'm always asked to bring my camera to shoot candids. I stay out of the way of the pros and shoot whatever I choose.

My wife and I were in Key West, Florida, for the wedding of her cousin's son, and I brought only my GF1, along with the 20/1.7, 14-45, and a 50 Summicron. I shot the ceremony mostly with the 14-45 and decided that the PL 45 macro would have come in very handy. Interestingly, the two pro photographers, who were shooting Nikons, came up and asked me about my GF1.

Here are a few samples. More can be seen at

Your comments and suggestions are most welcome.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    You have got some great images here that look very relaxed and natural, it appears from the smiles and natural relaxed expressions that the subjects found the GF1 far less intimidating than the pro quality DSLR's.
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Well done, some lovely memories captured :2thumbs:

4. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Thanks gentlemen.

In addition to my unassuming GF1, I'm also family (by marriage) and they're all accustomed to seeing a camera regularly affixed to the front of my face.

Although I've never desired to go professional, I doubt I'd get the same sort of images if I were a stranger.
  5. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    splendid stuff , the happiness of that day is most evident in those images
  7. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Excellent work Ron ! Thanks for sharing.
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Nothing wrong with those shots at all, sometimes it takes a non-pro to get shots that are simply natural looking.

9. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    I think you did very well - this really goes to show what these little boxes of magic can do.

I personally would love to shoot a wedding with my GF1, but somehow would feel more comfy shooting with my Nikon gear.

I am shooting a friends wedding later this year, and plan to do the formals with the big guns, then actually go to shooting candids with GF1 gear, once the money shots are complete.