1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first m4/3 shots

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by unkabin, Mar 14, 2011.

1. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Nothing fancy. Shots of my wife and dog (she's nice, really! The dog, I mean . . .). After receiving a GF1 from a fellow Minnesotan forum member (thanks for the good deal), I finally purchased a memory card and went out for a "spring" walk. 7 degrees F (-14C). We walked for 40 minutes or so, and I was very impressed that the battery held its life in that cold. I took with me a 20mm 1.7 and Minolta MD 50 1.7. Shot raw and converted in LR2 (except the last shot, which is a jpg).

I always welcome C&C, even on snapshots, since my most precious (to me) photos are rarely my more artistic shots, but those snaps of people I love.

I just want to add that I haven't had so much fun with a camera since my dad bought me my first SLR (Minolta XE-5) when I was 19 years old. In fact, the 50mm lens I used is the lens from that camera.

Maybe a little greenish cast on this one--I'll have to figure out my PP. I'm a complete amateur at a digital darkroom. My b/w darkroom is in boxes in my basement. I threaten every once in a while to set it up again.

I was amazed at a 100% view of this hat. Every hair of the rabbit fur is defined. Wow.

Playing around with that fun 20mm--jpeg from camera

• Like Like x 1
  2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California

Priceless... :2thumbs:

My old man was delighted to hear that his thirty year old lenses are crossing over digitally via m43.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

unkabin - they're wonderful! And I absolutely love your descriptions from your wife and your dog (I'm sure both are really nice!) to your father's reaction. Great details, your dog and your wife both look very good together - and the lighting on your last one is really lovely.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The shots of your wife and dog are really nice family pics, but my favorite is the one of the tassles. Maybe its the lighting, as BB mentioned, maybe the subject isolation. Regardless, I think it works at a different level than the first two.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  5. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the comments. I'm amazed at how well this camera works with legacy lenses. I don't think I focused any faster or more accurately with my split-screen SLR. I can see the 50mm 1.7 becoming a go-to portrait lens. And, yeah, I think it's very cool that this lens is back in service.

P.S. Yes, my wife is also very nice.

• Like Like x 1