my first legacy lens! (Helios 44M-4)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sym5, Jun 16, 2012.

1. sym5

sym5 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    I just got a copy of the Helios 44M-4 lens from eBay, and I took a few test shots with it:

You can find the full album here.

I really like how the EVF + IBIS on the E-M5 makes it a lot more pleasant and accurate to focus manually. And I'm really impressed by the quality of this lens, especially considering I paid less than $30 for it. The only problem is that now I might start buying more legacy glass. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 8
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

awesome shots
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Great shots! Yep, legacy glass can be addictive - something about the feel and ergonomics. I have a bunch of nice old lenses. :cool:
  4. hoggdo c

hoggdo c Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA - SOCAL
    Good Morning SYM5,

Can you share the camera settings that were used to take the images posted in this post? I am not familiar with this lens, what mount does it use and whose adapter did you use.

Yesterday I stopped by our local used photo equipment store and tried a Nikon 28 mm f/2.8 lens on my OM-D body.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to directly upload images to the forum?
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Love the Helios 44

<a href="" title="Listening Post by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7305905424_31107a3451_b. "683" height="1024" alt="Listening Post"></a>
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sym5

sym5 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Helios 44 is an M42 mount, also known as the Pentax screwmount. Just search on Amazon or eBay for "m42 m43 adapter", and you'll get a bunch of hits. Most of the eBay ones will ship from China. The adapters are made by Fotga, Fotasy, Fotodiox, Rainbow Imaging, and various others, and they all seem to work OK.

I didn't have to do anything too crazy with the camera settings. You have to shoot on M (manual) or A (aperture priority), and you have to set the camera to enable the shutter without a lens (it's one of the settings options) because the camera naturally won't be able to detect this lens, since there aren't any electronic contacts on it. When you go to shoot, you adjust the aperture using the aperture ring on the lens, and in aperture priority mode the camera will pick the right shutter speed and ISO based on its metering, so nothing too complex there. The manual focus is made a lot nicer if you map one of the function buttons to "magnify". I put it on the video record button. Again, it's one of the settings.

Finally, regarding uploading directly to the forum, I think there's a user gallery that's created for you when you sign up. Just poke around on the "gallery" tab up above, and I think it's in there somewhere.

Good luck!

- T

7. exilarch

exilarch New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2012
    Does the Helios require a flanged adapter ?
  8. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    It depends on the version of the Helios. I have a 44M which doesn't need flanged adapter, but my 44M-7 does. You can say it, by looking for a A/M lever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk