My first legacy glass

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sprinke, Apr 10, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Just got my GH2 yesterday. I've been reading these forums for about a week and I've gotten very excited about the possibilities of legacy glass. I especially wanted to pick up a good, fast 50mm lens.

After combing the local Craigslist listings, I drove about an hour to buy a 1974/5-era Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens (pre-AI). I paid $40 for it.

To my novice eye, it looks to be in excellent condition. The guy I bought it from said that his father (the owner of the cameras and lenses for sale, now deceased) did not really use that lens. It was the kit lens I guess, and he took it off the body and used a 200mm lens preferentially for his work. The lens seriously looks brand new ... no signs of wear, no scratches on the body or the glass, and the blades look clean. The lens had a filter on it (which actually looks in really good condition as well). Everything turns smoothly.

Of course, I don't have the F-mount adapter yet (just ordered one) so I haven't been able to take any shots with it, but I'm looking forward to it.

It seems a crime that I'll have to pay about 70% of what I paid for what appears to be a fabulous piece of glass, to buy a cheap adapter made of aluminum in order to use it!! :eek:
  2. Euterpeundersail

Euterpeundersail New to Mu-43

Mar 24, 2011
    Spend the money and buy the Voigtlander Nikon to micro 4/3 adapter or go on EBAY and buy the Metabones (basically the same thing as the Voigtlander at 1/2 the price) Nikon to micro 4/3 adapter. These mounts are mechanically and cosmetically superior. You're going to have to pay about $180 for the Voigtlander and about $90 for the Metabones.
  3. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    I have the Rainbow Imaging mounts for about $20-$30 each. I have at least 6 of them. All excellent and well built. No need to spend $90 or $180, when it does the EXACT same thing as the Voigtlander and Metabones...
  4. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    I have both a Metabones and a rainbow imaging F-mount adapter. The Metabones is built a little better, especially the mount release. However, the rainbow imaging one works just fine.
  5. Apra

Apra New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Congrats on your first legacy lens. Watch out or you'll get legacy lens fever...I know I did when I learned that Canon FD lenses have a shorter flange distance, so make for a smaller mounted package, or Pen F lenses are fast and tiny, or Zeiss and Leica glass are the sharpest in town.
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I've ordered the Rainbow Imaging adapter. I'm looking forward to giving the lens a spin.
  7. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I think it will work out well for you. I have a Nikon-mount Metabones adapter, and several Canon FD and Olympus OM adapters from RainbowImaging. The Metabones really are better made, but the RainbowImaging adapters are perfectly adequate, at a fraction of the price.
  8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Just to give my experience with this.

I too went out and found an old Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 lens for sale (I got mine for $25) and it looked perfect. A few minor dust specs could be found if you really searched but it was a great lens.

What I found was that it was very soft at 1.4 and sharper at 2.0 and even sharper at 2.8. I was happy but a little concerned that it was soft at f1.4 since I bought the lens for its f1.4 setting.

After doing some research, I found that later model lenses were improved. I found the same lens with a much higher serial number (1xx,xxx for the first and 1,xxx,xxx for the second). The second lens performed much much better. It was as sharp at f1.4 as the old lens was at f2.8.

What I am trying to say is that the lenses are pretty cheap and it might be worth testing a few lenses if you are not sure of the 1st ones performance. I am so glad that I did.

My testing was on the Olympus OM lenses, I don't have any experience with the Nikon's.
  9. dvdjn56

dvdjn56 New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2011
    I'll chime in here on my experience too. I did not get my EPL-2 for legacy glass but when I found out I could use my canon gear with a cheap adapter I jumped on it. I took a chnace with the Rainbow Imaging adapter and agree with others here that while not a ferrari, it is more than adequate. After playing with my 50 f1.8 and 28 f2.8 I just had to get a late model 50mm macro with 1:1 adapter. I love this combo so much I had to get an FL-36R and now am doing wireless flash in macro. Check out some of my captures...[​IMG] and [​IMG] Enjoy the exploration!
    • Like Like x 1