My First HDR

Discussion in 'Nature' started by RenaudVL, Aug 23, 2013.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    E-PL5 with 8-19mm, 4 shots out of 7 of the HDR preset... Done with LR plugin LR/Enfuse

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Interesting...looks like an alien planet with mercury oceans
  3. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
  4. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    HDR is a really helpful technology when used in moderation. It allows for a dynamic range that allows shots to pop, and works not only on bracketed photos, but also on the odd single shot (just be careful to keep the blacks black so they don't turn purple). I have had a fun time playing with it and found, over time, that I developed a good sense of when it would work vs. when it just ended up looking like someone slipped acid in my coffee two hours ago without telling me. But that's just my taste and everyone's is different.

I really encourage you to keep playing with the program and develop your own sense of what you like, and what's over the edge. The great thing is that it's non-destructive, so you can always go back to the beginning and start over (as I have many times). Or just go full blown if that's what you like.

Nice first HDR. Have fun.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Some might say this is personal perspective but not necessarily a photographic rule. I mean heck, Jackson Pollock's work is famous :smile:
  6. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    A little bit over cooked for my taste, but still better than my first HDR.
  7. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Not a fan of the sky, but the rest looks amazing.
  8. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks for your constructive comments,
    Hard to adjust some level and contrast...

Here is a softer second try on an other subject...

I am wondering if this should have been someplace else...

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The second is certainly more natural looking, but I also like the first - it has an interesting look. :cool:
  10. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Pretty good for a first try, and the second one is even better. I think an "overcooked" perception often stems from knowing that the camera can't see that much all at once ... but at my age, my biological cameras can't either. You seem to be finding the "just right" point.
  11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    the second try is excellent, the first try is a bit over cooked but not to extreme. You got the sense of it and waiting to see some more work of yours.
  12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the first is pretty outrageous. But it was your first. I think it's easy to get carried away regarding saturation in HDR photos. You seem to have learned that quite quickly judging from your second. I would suggest that the second photo has no true black point. It's much better, but I think you could darken it to show more range of tones. Keep at it.