1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My first HDR shots. my city

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by monchan, Aug 16, 2012.

1. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    These are my first HDR shots I that I have taken. Nothing great but am happy with the results. I dont consider any to be good, but just a start.
    I used photomatix, just went in blindly without reading anything seemed easy enough...
    The city shots are from the 8th floor of an aunts apartment block.
    hand held on the ledge.
    the other two were from some place we found high up in the mountains.
    had poor light and lots of shadows so I thought it would make a good test subject for HDR. I`ll have to find something worth shooting next.

tottori2. hdrbw. [​IMG] gnome2. gnome.

2. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    It looks very blurry and very HDR, might want to tone it down a bit and play with sharpening or using a tripod if you're doing multi shot HDR.

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    it looks soft, but not blurry so it's probably not a problem with steadiness, just tone down a little bit and see how it works.

and I love the last one!!

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Looks like you got it working well, though personally I find it overcooked/processed (some people like the effect though).

5. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Yeah, I`m happy that I got it working and got some kind of result. Will have to find something better to take a photo of, and mess around with photomatix.
    Can anyone tell me exactly the difference is between these two bracketing options.

7f 0.3ev
    7f 0.7ev I know they are both seven frames and that each frame has a different
    exposure value. with seven frames, thats pretty extreme anyway isnt it? why are there
    two different 7frames settings? is one for something that starts off on the dark side and one a bit brighter? cheers.

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    because of the different interval, the 0.7ev allows larger step than the 0.3ev, it depends on what you need.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Definitely a bit over-cooked, a litlle bit of HDR goes a long way, although some people prefer the heavier look. A good start - keep working at it and definitely post some more.

8. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Seems everyone starts out by overcooking their HDRs. I have been doing them for a while now, and my object is to use them in such a way that people don't know HDR processing was being used.

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    HDR's been around for over 100 years, and it wasn't originally about overcooking images...it's only with the comuter method that people overdo it. It's fine if you overdid the HDR on purpose, but iI done right someone who isn't an expert shouldn't be able to tell anything special has been done to increase dynamic range.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I like the colours of the first one, but it does seem soft to me and my eyes don't like looking at the details.

I like the first gnome shot too, but that is overcooked in the colours. Good news is that you can re-do it.

11. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    yeah, i believe it was done to get an image that covers white to black and everything in between without over/under-exposing any of them. nowadays, due to readily-available tools, anybody can bracket the shot and just simply put them together without the intent of creating a greater dynamics.

btw, i like the first one except maybe the buildings looking cartoonish :thumbup:

12. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    I think the images are not lined up correctly in some of these,that is making them look soft and hard to look at the details.
    They will look much better when this is sorted.
    Out of register is the term I think.

13. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Thats sounds like it is how I should try to do them. I`ll remember that cheers.

That might be the case since I didnt use a tripod. I wont try another
    until I get one.